SiouxSports.com Forum

Viewing options for Sioux hockey games this season

fightingsiouxfan86

I bought a Chromecast right around its release, and love using it for music and Netflix. I tried it for Sioux hockey last year, and had a similar experience casting a tab from Chrome. The pc's graphics have zero impact on this, but your local network (not specifically your internet) speed  and quality have a lot to do with it. From what I understand, the cast-a-tab extension for Chrome has gotten better, so maybe I'd have a different experience if I tried now. However, a wireless connection is not ideal, especially one that has to share a casting session with the internet stream. A dedicated Chromebox, HTPC, laptop, etc connected to your TV should work much better and they free up a device that you'd otherwise have to cast from.

My understanding is the difference is casting a tab vs. Netflix/Youtube where in the former, the computer still has to encode and play the video on top of sending it back out to stream it so if your computer can't handle/process doing the two things, both of which are intensive, that is what causes the lagging.  Correct on it not being the graphics though.  When streaming Netflix via the app, the Chromecast is actually getting the signal straight from the router/modem and the computer/device is only being used as a "remote" more or less.  In my situation, especially since I'm using wireless, I'm getting hit on both ends.  Regardless, I'm going to have to look into something else so I can watch the other internet streams without hooking up my laptop.  Just a matter of how much I want to spend and how much effort I want to put into something (HTPC).

My understanding is the difference is casting a tab vs. Netflix/Youtube where in the former, the computer still has to encode and play the video on top of sending it back out to stream it so if your computer can't handle/process doing the two things, both of which are intensive, that is what causes the lagging.  Correct on it not being the graphics though.  When streaming Netflix via the app, the Chromecast is actually getting the signal straight from the router/modem and the computer/device is only being used as a "remote" more or less.  In my situation, especially since I'm using wireless, I'm getting hit on both ends.  Regardless, I'm going to have to look into something else so I can watch the other internet streams without hooking up my laptop.  Just a matter of how much I want to spend and how much effort I want to put into something (HTPC).

Yes, exactly. The nice part is the influx of these relatively cheap set-top boxes that can do the job. I built myself a small HTPC which I use for the games, but may end up repurposing that as a server/NAS and buying something small like a FireTV or NUC for the living room.

Yes, exactly. The nice part is the influx of these relatively cheap set-top boxes that can do the job. I built myself a small HTPC which I use for the games, but may end up repurposing that as a server/NAS and buying something small like a FireTV or NUC for the living room.

Pretty intrigued by the Matricom G-Box MX2 that was previously posted, mainly because of the Google Play capabilities (how well the Big Sky app) works along with being able to do what a lot of the Google OS boxes do for about $60 or so less.

I had the FireTV for about a month and while it worked fairly decently, for what I was using it for it didn't seem to outperform by Chromecast for 3x the price.  I know there are a lot of other capabilities that make it better than the Chromecast but nothing that I personally need at the current time.

I have a question for those with the Chromecast:

I currently have my laptop hard-wired to my router, and an HDMI cord going to my big TV in the living room.  The stream works great.  However, I have another TV above my bar adjacent to the living room, and I was trying to think of how I could get the webcast to that TV as well and have the video in sync with the other TV (both TVs are visible from multiple areas in the room).   

Would a chromecast hooked up to the bar TV accomplish this?  Could I cast from my laptop to the bar TV and have the two video signals be in sync? 

I have a question for those with the Chromecast:

I currently have my laptop hard-wired to my router, and an HDMI cord going to my big TV in the living room.  The stream works great.  However, I have another TV above my bar adjacent to the living room, and I was trying to think of how I could get the webcast to that TV as well and have the video in sync with the other TV (both TVs are visible from multiple areas in the room).   

Would a chromecast hooked up to the bar TV accomplish this?  Could I cast from my laptop to the bar TV and have the two video signals be in sync? 

I haven't tried it. It should be possible, but I highly doubt the video would be in sync, and image quality may suffer.

I use a chromebook with a hard-wire connection to my router, and an HDMI cable to the tv.  No problems at all (except for last weeks WCHA webcast from BSU).

amazon1.jpg

This works like a Roku, but also has XBMC, Google Apps, and a web-browser that will also run videos.  I used it to watch NCHC.tv games.  Works good, I've watched North Dakota (MidCo) and Miami (TWCSC) games.  Set it up once and not have to worry about plugging in a laptop and will free up using another device like a phone or tablet (chromecast).  It's basically what should be imbedded in every SmartTV.

http://matricom.net/products/g-box-midnight-mx2/

^^^^BUY ONE OF THESE ^^^^

I bought one and have really enjoyed using it. This box plays everything I have thrown at it where the others (roku, Chromecast, smart TV, etc...) have failed. I plan to buy at least two more. One to replace a HTPC that I built and was planning on spending upwards of $600 to upgrade the processor. No need now with a <$90 android box.

The stock browser will pay the NCHC games fine. And can download any other browser if needed via the Google play store. It even has XBMC installed for a nice interface. Although kind of complicated to use and set up.

It comes with a remote. But I downloaded droidmote server on the box which is $2.99. And the droidmote client on our phones (free). Allows you to control by a mouse, keypad, and even a game controller. Can even use the phone popup keyboard (swipe) for faster text entry in browser usage.

I'm not sure about the big sky or whatever else games. But if it has flash or any other current html5 it will play in the stock browser. If not, then try Firefox or chrome. Something not even apple TV has!

I just wish there was a easy kiosk mode or login for guest on the NCHC so I can let my parents use without access to account stuff.

Just following up and am curious on peoples' experiences…I thought the feed was good.  Decent actually.  With virtually no lag and quality sound.  (I have quite reliable MidCo broadband and an exceptional wireless router.)

BUT…it was a web feed, and whatever imperfections existed (e.g., the camerawork seemed amateurish and some of the faster player movements were jumpy) were magnified greatly by connecting the computer to a large screen TV.  Even a full-screen 15" laptop was almost too much.  A regular browser window turned out to be ideal with respect to picture quality.

Is this typical?  Am I spoiled with HDTV and expecting too much from a stream?  Does anyone else prefer a computer or small screen?

Just following up and am curious on peoples' experiences…I thought the feed was good. Decent actually. With virtually no lag and quality sound. (I have quite reliable MidCo broadband and an exceptional wireless router.)

BUT…it was a web feed, and whatever imperfections existed (e.g., the camerawork seemed amateurish and some of the faster player movements were jumpy) were magnified greatly by connecting the computer to a large screen TV. Even a full-screen 15" laptop was almost too much. A regular browser window turned out to be ideal with respect to picture quality.

Is this typical? Am I spoiled with HDTV and expecting too much from a stream? Does anyone else prefer a computer or small screen?

If you're referring to the CC series, you'll be much happier with UNDs production for home games. It looked like a monkey was working the camera at CC. Not to mention the feed cutting out when we started dominating (weird coincidence)

So I downloaded Chromecast software to my new PC. Still no good - skips just like my laptop. Sure would be nice to have a decent TV contract.

Just cast Through These Doors from the ND app on my phone, and it streamed perfectly. Will try it with the live stream tonight.

Duo you have problems with on demand content, or just the live streams?

Just cast Through These Doors from the ND app on my phone, and it streamed perfectly. Will try it with the live stream tonight.

Duo you have problems with on demand content, or just the live streams?

Don't get excited about its quality because of videos on UND insider. Videos on there are flawless. HD quality. Live stream.....not so much!

• Upvote 1

Don't get excited about its quality because of videos on UND insider. Videos on there are flawless. HD quality. Live stream.....not so much!

Hard wired streams from nchc.tv work much better than last year's live streams from undinsider, so I was hoping casting may work. Will go back to wired when it doesn't

The last that was stated was "it will be likely a few games on FCS".  It is becoming more and more clear that getting games on a national stage is not high priority for Midco, and they want to get a few more customers locally.  There has been absolutely nothing from UND to state any efforts on their part in any efforts recently.  Really sad for those outside the ND, MN, SD footprint that have to rely on the supposed ever improving webcasts.  Like last weeks games that ended with about 10-15 seconds left in the broadcast.  When Denver actually has more push than UND for TV coverage, that says a lot for those involved.  But remember, it is on pay-per-view on NCHC-TV so everyone get in line.