SiouxSports.com Forum

Viewing options for Sioux hockey games this season

fightingsiouxfan86

It appears they have no intentions of providing their programming to a supposed competitor. So good thing you aren't holding your breath!

I've had this conversation with a few Midco people, they're reasoning. We need to expand the Miodco brand in the regional area. That's fine, but UND hockey has a lot of fans outside of the regional foot print.

I've had this conversation with a few Midco people, they're reasoning. We need to expand the Miodco brand in the regional area. That's fine, but UND hockey has a lot of fans outside of the regional foot print.

Goon you have hit squarely on the crux of the matter.

From a business perspective I completely understand Midco's position.  The cable business is all about using the programming you offer to capture market share.  Having said that, they have to respect the audience they adopted when they contracted to be the broadcaster of Sioux hockey.  They are serving a fan base that had national access both on satellite cable and FTA satellite.  The fan base lost both when Midco took over.  Initially Midco was able to avoid the fury of the fans because the blame fell at the feet of the NCHA and the UND athletic dept for the asinine CBS sports TV contract which took away both Sioux hockey from every fan outside of the Midco coverage area as well as lost our conference Nortre Dame.

Now with the easing of the restriction in the CBS contract Midco finds itself being exposed to the ire of a huge segment of the fan base.  While trying to persuade, so to speak, Sioux fans in their area of coverage to switch to Midco they are victimizing thousands of Sioux fans who have nothing to do with this cable competition and have no choice or options in the matter (other than to write a check to the NCHC to view it online).

A tough spot for Midco for sure.  As a business man, my philosophy has always been customer centric but I do understand that this is not the only way to do business.  I just think it is the best way to do business...

• Upvote 1

Just had a funny Twitter exchange with Midco:

@MidcoSN, Having a hard time getting any @UNDMHockey on FCS. Is there something broken on your end?

@aburesh01 @UNDMHockey We are in agreement with FCS to give them just 5 games that we are producing this season

I guess this confirms the press release that was leaked yesterday regarding the 5 games on FCS this year.

Notice their use of the word 'just' (5 games). strange.

Just had a funny Twitter exchange with Midco:

@MidcoSN, Having a hard time getting any @UNDMHockey on FCS. Is there something broken on your end?

@aburesh01 @UNDMHockey We are in agreement with FCS to give them just 5 games that we are producing this season

I guess this confirms the press release that was leaked yesterday regarding the 5 games on FCS this year.

Notice their use of the word 'just' (5 games). strange.

Not everyone at Midco agrees with doing just 5 games.

• Upvote 2

Goon you have hit squarely on the crux of the matter.

From a business perspective I completely understand Midco's position.  The cable business is all about using the programming you offer to capture market share.  Having said that, they have to respect the audience they adopted when they contracted to be the broadcaster of Sioux hockey.  They are serving a fan base that had national access both on satellite cable and FTA satellite.  The fan base lost both when Midco took over.  Initially Midco was able to avoid the fury of the fans because the blame fell at the feet of the NCHA and the UND athletic dept for the asinine CBS sports TV contract which took away both Sioux hockey from every fan outside of the Midco coverage area as well as lost our conference Nortre Dame.

Now with the easing of the restriction in the CBS contract Midco finds itself being exposed to the ire of a huge segment of the fan base.  While trying to persuade, so to speak, Sioux fans in their area of coverage to switch to Midco they are victimizing thousands of Sioux fans who have nothing to do with this cable competition and have no choice or options in the matter (other than to write a check to the NCHC to view it online).

A tough spot for Midco for sure.  As a business man, my philosophy has always been customer centric but I do understand that this is not the only way to do business.  I just think it is the best way to do business...

In 2013, I had an email conversation with Laura Anderson at Midco.  She told me that in August of that year, MidcoSN would be presenting to DirecTV and Dish, admiting it was a bit of a long shot.  So at that time, Midco seemed committed to getting their product out there.

Miami showing home games on Fox College Sports now including one with North Dakota:

Fri, Dec 05  Nebraska Omaha * - - Oxford, Ohio   7:35 p.m.   Fox College Sports/Time Warner     Sat, Jan 24  Denver * - - Oxford, Ohio   7:05 p.m.   Fox College Sports/Time Warner Sat, Feb 07  Western Michigan * - - Chicago, Ill. (Soldier Field)   4:00 p.m.   Fox Sports Net/Comcast Chicago Sat, Feb 21  Minnesota Duluth (Skate with the Hawks) * - - Oxford, Ohio   7:05 p.m.   Fox College Sports/Time Warner Sat, Mar 07  North Dakota * - - Oxford, Ohio   7:05 p.m.   Fox College Sports/Time Warner

http://www.muredhawks.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26100&SPID=87599&SPSID=617652&DB_OEM_ID=26100

Miami has 5 remaining home games that will be carried by Time Warner Cable SportsChannel and 4 will be simulcast on Fox College Sports.  The UND series in Oxford has the Friday game on CBSSN and the Saturday game on FCS so both Sioux games at Miami will be on National TV now.

• Upvote 1

5 UND games on FCS and 4 Miami games on FCS plus the 9 already known broadcasts of St. Cloud and Duluth = 18 FCS games nationally.  I wouldn't be surprised if that UND news release on the 5 UND FCS games may have been held up for Miami to announce theirs so they could time it up and release it at the NCHC level??  Maybe Western Michigan has something coming together as well and the conference wanted one big release?

5 UND games on FCS and 4 Miami games on FCS plus the 9 already known broadcasts of St. Cloud and Duluth = 18 FCS games nationally.  I wouldn't be surprised if that UND news release on the 5 UND FCS games may have been held up for Miami to announce theirs so they could time it up and release it at the NCHC level??  Maybe Western Michigan has something coming together as well and the conference wanted one big release?

Miami's TV schedule has nothing to to with it.

I have been surprised at the number of non-conference games shown on NCHC.tv so far where the home team is the non-NCHC team. The most recent were last week's UNO at Cornell games - both were available. When I heard Midco picked up Saturday's game, I was hopeful, but I guess I'll have to watch via alternative methods.

I have been surprised at the number of non-conference games shown on NCHC.tv so far where the home team is the non-NCHC team. The most recent were last week's UNO at Cornell games - both were available. When I heard Midco picked up Saturday's game, I was hopeful, but I guess I'll have to watch via alternative methods.

Well, Cornell is part of the Ivy League Digital Network which is their version of NCHC.tv, and both are powered by Neulion. That is probably behind why the Cornell game was on there. I'm sure we will see it throughout the year with non-conference opponents whose online video is hosted by Neulion. With the Wisconsin game, BTN2go is also hosted by Neulion but the B10 has so many content restrictions wrapped around it, that it looks like the only way to watch it otherwise would be on BTN2go and subscribe.