SiouxSports.com Forum

Viewing options for Sioux hockey games this season

fightingsiouxfan86

I have been unable to google any info on this development. Are you sure this is more than speculation/rumor?

It was tweeted by the NCHC.  Though admittedly I was half asleep when I read it.

Edit:  My bad, it's 8 games not all of them.  Definitely better than none.  Thanks cberkas!

As a UNO fan, I'm sure you've really enjoyed being able to watch all of their games including next weekend when they're at Cornell.  Or are you going to that series?

SiouxTupa probably knows.  He's the expert here.  But he's also a Providence fan so I don't know if you can trust him.

Considering you once admitted to being a closet DU fan, I'm guessing you're the one who can't be trusted.

Which was the Midco channel until they actually changed it to call it Midco Sports.

The Fighting Sioux Sports Network was a joint venture between WDAZ, UND, and REA.  It was often picked up and simulcasted on Midco Sports Network, but it was not owned by Midco Sports Network.  It was also picked up by Fox College Sports, and occasionally ESPNU and the NHL Network.  It was also Free To Air and available for free on big satellite dishes. 

The venture probably didn't make much money.  It basically gave away its feed to whoever wanted it.  But making money was not the primary point.  Expanding exposure to UND sports and making the product available to UND fans all over the country was the point.  UND fans that didn't live in ND, SD, or NW MN were incredibly spoiled with FSSN and, for them, it really sucks that UND decided to sell out to Midco Sports Net.  

The Fighting Sioux Sports Network was a joint venture between WDAZ, UND, and REA.  It was often picked up and simulcasted on Midco Sports Network, but it was not owned by Midco Sports Network.  It was also picked up by Fox College Sports, and occasionally ESPNU and the NHL Network.  It was also Free To Air and available for free on big satellite dishes. 

The venture probably didn't make much money.  It basically gave away its feed to whoever wanted it.  But making money was not the primary point.  Expanding exposure to UND sports and making the product available to UND fans all over the country was the point.  UND fans that didn't live in ND, SD, or NW MN were incredibly spoiled with FSSN and, for them, it really sucks that UND decided to sell out to Midco Sports Net.  

To be fair... when UND signed the agreement with Midco, all of those games were still available minus FTA. UND hockey games were still on Midco, on other local cable stations, on FCS and available for pickup from NHL Network.  There was also the benefit of $1,000,000 over the life of the contract. 

The NCHC deal with CBSSN changed all of that but when UND signed the contract with Midco they were still getting all of that exposure and making the product to UND fans all over the country was still the point.

• Upvote 1

To be fair... when UND signed the agreement with Midco, all of those games were still available minus FTA. UND hockey games were still on Midco, on other local cable stations, on FCS and available for pickup from NHL Network.  There was also the benefit of $1,000,000 over the life of the contract. 

The NCHC deal with CBSSN changed all of that but when UND signed the contract with Midco they were still getting all of that exposure and making the product to UND fans all over the country was still the point.

True enough, but they gave up running it in-house and gave the control to someone else.  Things were same (minus FTA) for one year and then things went south.  Of course, under CBSs rules last year, I don't think it would have mattered much (FCS would not have been able to pick up the games anyway), but it's making a big deal this year.

By the way, without really knowing the books and the financial situation of the athletic department, I'm not saying it was necessarily a bad decision to scrap FSSN and go with Midco.  I'm speaking purely as a fan who lives outside the region who loathes webcasts.  I will watch webcasts when they are free, but will not pay for them.  Maybe in 5 years or so, the technology will make webcasts reliable to people like me who don't understand half the jargon you tech nerds talk about on this thread.  But they're not there now and I won't pay money for a frustration.

• Upvote 2

Just cast Through These Doors from the ND app on my phone, and it streamed perfectly. Will try it with the live stream tonight.

Duo you have problems with on demand content, or just the live streams?

I have only tried on demand content - I will try the live stream tonite, but I don't expect any better results. As others have said, for those of us that live outside the area, this really sucks. 

True enough, but they gave up running it in-house and gave the control to someone else.  Things were same (minus FTA) for one year and then things went south.  Of course, under CBSs rules last year, I don't think it would have mattered much (FCS would not have been able to pick up the games anyway), but it's making a big deal this year.

By the way, without really knowing the books and the financial situation of the athletic department, I'm not saying it was necessarily a bad decision to scrap FSSN and go with Midco.  I'm speaking purely as a fan who lives outside the region who loathes webcasts.  I will watch webcasts when they are free, but will not pay for them.  Maybe in 5 years or so, the technology will make webcasts reliable to people like me who don't understand half the jargon you tech nerds talk about on this thread.  But they're not there now and I won't pay money for a frustration.

All of this!  Can I get an Amen?

All of this! Can I get an Amen?

I really wonder how the current tv situation will affect attendance in the future. Not just at the Ralph but away games. Part of what has made und hockey greqt the past 10 years or so has been the traveling hardcore fans. The national tv exposure turned many casual fans into hardcore fans. Most of these casual fans aren't going to go out of their way to pay for and try to watch webcasts. I've said it before but I really hope that when und's ad dept signed the tv deal with midco they took this into consideration and felt the drop in exposure was worth 200k per year.

Well, my NCHC.tv subscription expired on the 19th, so I needed to renew before this game.  I tried renewing, but it still says my account expires on Oct 19th, 2014.  I have a $1 pending charge on my credit card from NeuLion, so I know they at least tried to do something.  I emailed them this morning at 8:30 but still haven't heard anything back.  I guess we'll see, at game time, if they actually renewed my account and let me watch the game.

Well, my NCHC.tv subscription expired on the 19th, so I needed to renew before this game.  I tried renewing, but it still says my account expires on Oct 19th, 2014.  I have a $1 pending charge on my credit card from NeuLion, so I know they at least tried to do something.  I emailed them this morning at 8:30 but still haven't heard anything back.  I guess we'll see, at game time, if they actually renewed my account and let me watch the game.

Good luck getting a response; I've been waiting 3 weeks now.  That being said, my feed works, so here's hoping that yours will too! 

I have only tried on demand content - I will try the live stream tonite, but I don't expect any better results. As others have said, for those of us that live outside the area, this really sucks.

Hockey via chromecast was jerky. Volleyball/football on america one streams perfectly. The difference, neulion does not work as well. At any rate, hard wired, nchc.tv works good, and better than last year's undinsider streams on neulion.

If I buy one of the NCHC TV packages and connect my laptop to my smartv using a HDMI cable, will the broadcasts be watchable?  ie, similiar to watching a game televised in a traditional way?  I am very technologically challenged and doubt I would watch anything short of a smooth HD broadcast,  I have Comcast internet that seems adequate in every way I have needed.   Sorry if this has been addressed earlier in the thread but there are 28 pages to scroll through and I may have missed it. 

If I buy one of the NCHC TV packages and connect my laptop to my smartv using a HDMI cable, will the broadcasts be watchable? ie, similiar to watching a game televised in a traditional way? I am very technologically challenged and doubt I would watch anything short of a smooth HD broadcast, I have Comcast internet that seems adequate in every way I have needed. Sorry if this has been addressed earlier in the thread but there are 28 pages to scroll through and I may have missed it.

That works for most of us. HD quality is fairly good, but can't quite match actual tv. Close though

Hockey via chromecast was jerky. Volleyball/football on america one streams perfectly. The difference, neulion does not work as well. At any rate, hard wired, nchc.tv works good, and better than last year's undinsider streams on neulion.

I had good reception using UNDinsider last year, even wireless. I don't have an HDMI port on my PC, so my last resort is to hard wire my laptop to my router and run an HDMI cable to my TV. If that doesn't work, I give up.

Good luck getting a response; I've been waiting 3 weeks now.  That being said, my feed works, so here's hoping that yours will too! 

I never did hear back, but the stream worked for me.

Regarding wireless vs. wired, that's been mixed for me.  I was able to stream perfectly fine on iPad (obviously wireless), and Airplay it to my Apple TV, which is hardwired.  But then with my laptop it wouldn't stream very well on wireless so I had to plug it in, but at that point the laptop was sitting next to my TV so it was ok to be plugged in.

Quality wise, I would say it's about 80-90% of the way from SD to HD.  Not perfect HD quality, but definitely way better than standard definition.  Very watchable, and much better than a couple years ago.

I never did hear back, but the stream worked for me.

Regarding wireless vs. wired, that's been mixed for me.  I was able to stream perfectly fine on iPad (obviously wireless), and Airplay it to my Apple TV, which is hardwired.  But then with my laptop it wouldn't stream very well on wireless so I had to plug it in, but at that point the laptop was sitting next to my TV so it was ok to be plugged in.

Quality wise, I would say it's about 80-90% of the way from SD to HD.  Not perfect HD quality, but definitely way better than standard definition.  Very watchable, and much better than a couple years ago.

I totally agree with you on this.  Since I changed to viewing from my IPad to TV via Apple TV it took away the jerkiness of the feed.  A very good, fast, Windows based computer running IE or Chrome on the same wireless setup provides a jerky feed.  I have no problems with other feeds on my tower, and Neulion is no help on this and is the same no matter who I use.  Definitely recommend the Apple TV for those who can get it.  I would since FCS is now a shadow of what it was in the past and with Midco does not look to get better.  Those outside the MN, SD, ND area need to utilize NCHC TV and the Apple TV platform works the best from everything that I have tried.  FYI, I have one of the fastest wireless modems on the market (5GHz with location learning) and great internet speed, which does not help in the jerkiness.