SiouxSports.com Forum

Viewing options for Sioux hockey games this season

fightingsiouxfan86

THIS^^. Why would Midco pay UND for the games, then turn around and let their competitors show the same games for free on another channel? Too bad that they won't allow the games to be shown on FCS outside their coverage area, there's a LOT of Sioux fans that don't live in the Grand Forks/Fargo area.

It's quite a fallacy for MidCo to suggest that CableOne holdouts in Fargo are going to benefit and that MidCo is losing out on revenue.  If you were a UND hockey fan living in Fargo and had the choice going into the season between CableOne (a handful of CBSSN games; FCS was not officially in the mix) and MidCo (the whole home season PLUS CBSSN), wouldn't you have jumped ship already?  By sharing a handful of broadcasts with FCS - and by extension, CableOne subscribers in Fargo - where is the harm?  Those households obviously weren't interested in MidCo to begin with.

You need to connect a device that will stream the games (ie computer, smartphone, tablet) to your tv. If you have a computer with hdmi out, you can connect to your hdtv via hdmi. Smartphones would take a wireless device such as chromecast. Whatever you choose, you'll be streaming the games in a browser, there is not a smarttv app for nchc.tv

I don't understand what you think a wireless keyboard might be used for

Notwithstanding the System Requirements, has anyone with a Smart TV had luck with nchc.tv via their TV's installed browser?

With fingers crossed and admittedly in denial, I finally tried logging in with my 2-year-old Samsung.  I was able to log in and view all of the content at the site but not access any video.  I am not a tech geek, and I realize that there are a lot of behind-the-scenes issues with streaming, but I was a little disappointed because it seemed that so many popular video/media sites do work on this TV and I had let myself build up a tiny bit of hope.

Also, has anyone heard whether nchc.tv compatibility with Smart TV will improve in the future?

Notwithstanding the System Requirements, has anyone with a Smart TV had luck with nchc.tv via their TV's installed browser?

With fingers crossed and admittedly in denial, I finally tried logging in with my 2-year-old Samsung.  I was able to log in and view all of the content at the site but not access any video.  I am not a tech geek, and I realize that there are a lot of behind-the-scenes issues with streaming, but I was a little disappointed because it seemed that so many popular video/media sites do work on this TV and I had let myself build up a tiny bit of hope.

Also, has anyone heard whether nchc.tv compatibility with Smart TV will improve in the future?

IMO, it's not worth trying. The browsers in the smart TVs (and a lot of the "smart" features in general) are gimmicky. The apps don't get updated frequently or have poor support. I'd recommend connecting a computer or other device and using a real browser. A Roku, Chromecast, AppleTV, or another device like that combined with an excellent display (smart or otherwise) is a much better option than relying on the apps built into a smart TV. - Sorry for the mini-rant

The reason video isn't working is probably because the built-in browser doesn't run the required plug-in (flash, HTML5, silverlight, etc.) I think Flash is what's required, but not 100% sure.

• Upvote 1

Does fcs blackout any college games? I doubt they would even if they could in this situation.

Midco should realize that there are plenty of folks without access to their programming. Instead of thinking progressively and attempting to expand the footprint of their sports channel, they are using it as bait to get a few extra cable subscribers. I still don't like the deal where und signed over all rights of und sports on tv to midco.

It's pretty dumb because cable one is a steaming pile of horse !@#$ compared to midco. Anyone who has had to deal with cable one knows what I'm talking about. And midco has much better value in aedition to better customer service.

IMO, it's not worth trying. The browsers in the smart TVs (and a lot of the "smart" features in general) are gimmicky. The apps don't get updated frequently or have poor support. I'd recommend connecting a computer or other device and using a real browser. A Roku, Chromecast, AppleTV, or another device like that combined with an excellent display (smart or otherwise) is a much better option than relying on the apps built into a smart TV. - Sorry for the mini-rant

The reason video isn't working is probably because the built-in browser doesn't run the required plug-in (flash, HTML5, silverlight, etc.) I think Flash is what's required, but not 100% sure.

Solid explanation.  Thank you!

amazon1.jpg

This works like a Roku, but also has XBMC, Google Apps, and a web-browser that will also run videos.  I used it to watch NCHC.tv games.  Works good, I've watched North Dakota (MidCo) and Miami (TWCSC) games.  Set it up once and not have to worry about plugging in a laptop and will free up using another device like a phone or tablet (chromecast).  It's basically what should be imbedded in every SmartTV.

http://matricom.net/products/g-box-midnight-mx2/

amazon1.jpg

This works like a Roku, but also has XBMC, Google Apps, and a web-browser that will also run videos.  I used it to watch NCHC.tv games.  Works good, I've watched North Dakota (MidCo) and Miami (TWCSC) games.  Set it up once and not have to worry about plugging in a laptop and will free up using another device like a phone or tablet (chromecast).  It's basically what should be imbedded in every SmartTV.

http://matricom.net/products/g-box-midnight-mx2/

Interesting.  Wonder if it would have the capabilities to run the American One streams for the Big Sky feeds.  The issue with Ruko, Amazon Fire, etc that I've seen is they are only app enabled, don't have the browser capabilities to do that.

Flash must just be used for older browsers that don't support HTML5. I was able to watch the stream on my iPad, which doesn't support Flash.

In fact, nothing should be using Flash at all anymore. That ship sailed a few years ago.

I realize ios devices will not run flash, so therefore must run html 5. Other OS' (windows) are in flux and some state of conversion.

Google chrome is said to have the best support for html5, but still has flash buit in. So, how do I force use of html5 in chrome? NCHC.tv uses flash in chrome for me (newest version of chrome).

I realize ios devices will not run flash, so therefore must run html 5. Other OS' (windows) are in flux and some state of conversion.

Google chrome is said to have the best support for html5, but still has flash buit in. So, how do I force use of html5 in chrome? NCHC.tv uses flash in chrome for me (newest version of chrome).

You'd have to disable Flash.  Go to chrome:plugins and click the link to disable it.  I just tried it and tried watching one of the On Demand Features, and it played the add just fine (not using flash) but when the actual segment started it said it wasn't supported on my device ("my device" being the latest version of Chrome on a Windows laptop).  It worked fine on my iPad, though.  Who knows what will happen during an actual real-time game stream.

If UND hockey is apparently this vital to Midco, they should pick up our away games. Also, are they holding up football on fcs, as well? Our first two home games were on it, but not the recent ones...

I've heard the Root Sports agreement won't allow for other national broadcast deals....

You'd have to disable Flash.  Go to chrome:plugins and click the link to disable it.  I just tried it and tried watching one of the On Demand Features, and it played the add just fine (not using flash) but when the actual segment started it said it wasn't supported on my device ("my device" being the latest version of Chrome on a Windows laptop).  It worked fine on my iPad, though.  Who knows what will happen during an actual real-time game stream.

Tried it, wouldn't play any on demand content on nchc.tv. Guess I'll stick with flash for now

Maybe Mido should figure out a way to get the non-CBS games on a pay-per-view platform via Dish/DirecTv/Comcast so the games could be viewed outside their normal broadcast area. Time to put on the big boy pants and start thinking big picture! :). How many season subscriptions would they need to make it worth their while? I have to think people would be more interested in this than paying for a webcast package that's been iffy at best.

Interesting.  Wonder if it would have the capabilities to run the American One streams for the Big Sky feeds.  The issue with Ruko, Amazon Fire, etc that I've seen is they are only app enabled, don't have the browser capabilities to do that.

I'm thinking that device is similar to a Chromebox, which is an Android-based platform with a few different manufacturers (ASUS, HP.) Google just announced the "Nexus Player" that works in a similar fashion. Essentially they run Android apps, so the Chrome browser would be among them. Regarding football, AmericaOne says they support Android and iOS, so I'd think those games would work.

I'm thinking that device is similar to a Chromebox, which is an Android-based platform with a few different manufacturers (ASUS, HP.) Google just announced the "Nexus Player" that works in a similar fashion. Essentially they run Android apps, so the Chrome browser would be among them. Regarding football, AmericaOne says they support Android and iOS, so I'd think those games would work.

I have a Chromecast and really like it for the apps it has but I can't cast/stream live events from my laptop to my TV, they get incredibly choppy.  I have no issues watching directly on the laptop or running it to the TV through an HDMI cable so guessing either my processor/graphics card can't handle streaming and casting it or my internet speed isn't fast enough, probably the former.  A simple box like that would probably solve my problems and delay me buying a new desktop and cords to permanently connect the HDMI or start building a HTPC.

I have a Chromecast and really like it for the apps it has but I can't cast/stream live events from my laptop to my TV, they get incredibly choppy.  I have no issues watching directly on the laptop or running it to the TV through an HDMI cable so guessing either my processor/graphics card can't handle streaming and casting it or my internet speed isn't fast enough, probably the former.  A simple box like that would probably solve my problems and delay me buying a new desktop and cords to permanently connect the HDMI or start building a HTPC.

I bought a Chromecast right around its release, and love using it for music and Netflix. I tried it for Sioux hockey last year, and had a similar experience casting a tab from Chrome. The pc's graphics have zero impact on this, but your local network (not specifically your internet) speed  and quality have a lot to do with it. From what I understand, the cast-a-tab extension for Chrome has gotten better, so maybe I'd have a different experience if I tried now. However, a wireless connection is not ideal, especially one that has to share a casting session with the internet stream. A dedicated Chromebox, HTPC, laptop, etc connected to your TV should work much better and they free up a device that you'd otherwise have to cast from.