SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

Grand Forks school District cutting 50 jobs that’s all fine and dandy but my question to you is we are cutting 50 teaching jobs. Why do we need so many superintendents or Assistance superintendents and assistant principles

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Grand Forks school District cutting 50 jobs that’s all fine and dandy but my question to you is we are cutting 50 teaching jobs. Why do we need so many superintendents or Assistance superintendents and assistant principles

My question is what’s up with all the para professionals?

how many of you had paraprofessionals in your classrooms?

I thought the teachers were there to teach, they keep wanting less students per class and more help in their classroom.

i don’t know what the paras do so I may be way off base.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kab said:

I thought the teachers were there to teach, they keep wanting less students per class and more help in their classroom.

Agreed

but paras are a small blimp in budget. I think they make $15 an hour or less

inthink the administration costs have risen dramatically and now with less teachers do we need that much admin

didnt we go from one assiant super to three?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Back in the day we had one special ed room for all grades and the teacher taught all the students, no paras 

maybe 15 to 20 students on any given year

times change 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Kab said:

Back in the day we had one special ed room for all grades and the teacher taught all the students, no paras 

maybe 15 to 20 students on any given year

times change 

This is what is needed.  When every class has two-five SE students.  When they are disruptive the WHOLE suffers and

learns little during this time.  Young elementary students can be quite violent to other students and teachers and paras.  You are not allowed to discipline.  Terrible situation.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Paras are required for special Ed students. They don't make much money and I bet a lot of it is federally funded.

The amount of sped students has grown by a lot. Whether actual issues or parents looking for reasons why their kid has behavior problems or isn't good academically many more request the label.

Some kids literally get one adult with them all day. What will really blow your mind is the amount of violent extreme behaving elementary kids. That wasn't a thing back when I was in school and hence paras weren't needed.

I hear kindergarten teachers are now having to change diapers and potty train kids. Seems like it should be a requirement to enter school. 

The dramatic rise in autism since all of us were in school certainly does not help.

• Upvote 1

It's so bad in the elem systems right now...

So many of the "conspiracy" "crazy"... "oh give it a rest, that will never happen" things....

Have happened, it wasn't overnight, it was like we have been saying fir decades... the slippery slope stuff

Well it's all slipped.

And all of the kids today suffer for it.

As is intended.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

It's so bad in the elem systems right now...

So many of the "conspiracy" "crazy"... "oh give it a rest, that will never happen" things....

Have happened, it wasn't overnight, it was like we have been saying fir decades... the slippery slope stuff

Well it's all slipped.

And all of the kids today suffer for it.

As is intended.

And all is needed is more money and administration.  Always the answer.

• Upvote 3

Back in the day the teachers taught one lesson plan for the entire class.  Now they have individualized education programs (IEPs) that target each individual student.  That plus less respectful and more poorly behaved students means the teachers need as many helpers/paras in the classroom as they can get.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2024 at 1:00 PM, Kab said:

have you seen the behavior of kids now?  They need twice the para's because they refuse to discipline, also.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

State of the Base: Satellite network operations to go online in 2024; $246 million upgrade planned

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/state-of-the-base-satellite-network-operations-to-go-online-in-2024-246-million-upgrade-planned

This caught my eye:

Grand Forks AFB has also been selected for a $246 million upgrade to its existing facilities to house and maintain fifth-generation fighter jets like the F-22 and F-35.

While the 319th does not fly combat aircraft, the air base is set to house aircraft evacuated from other air bases during extreme weather events, particularly from hurricane-prone areas on the Atlantic and Gulf coasts, so those units can continue to operate.

When those facilities aren’t being used for evacuation, the air base will support long-range combat training exercises called Agile Combat Employment.

18 hours ago, nodak651 said:

This caught my eye:

Grand Forks AFB has also been selected for a $246 million upgrade to its existing facilities to house and maintain fifth-generation fighter jets like the F-22 and F-35.

While the 319th does not fly combat aircraft, the air base is set to house aircraft evacuated from other air bases during extreme weather events, particularly from hurricane-prone areas on the Atlantic and Gulf coasts, so those units can continue to operate.

When those facilities aren’t being used for evacuation, the air base will support long-range combat training exercises called Agile Combat Employment.

So basically its taxpayer money just pissed directly into the wind to appease the global climate change grift.

1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

So basically its taxpayer money just pissed directly into the wind to appease the global climate change grift.

The USAF has always had an alternate base plan.
You move the assets away from weather that may impede flight operations. 

The former GFAFB B-52s and B-1s would "fly south" during blizzards. 

17 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The USAF has always had an alternate base plan.
You move the assets away from weather that may impede flight operations. 

The former GFAFB B-52s and B-1s would "fly south" during blizzards. 

This also took me like 5 seconds to find on google.  https://www.doctrine.af.mil/Portals/61/documents/AFDN_1-21/AFDN 1-21 ACE.pdf

@Frozen4sioux

2 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

You think preparing for extreme weather events is "grift"? Hurricanes happen on the gulf coast all the time. You think flood insurance is a "grift" too? :silly: