SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

On 12/10/2023 at 10:34 AM, Cratter said:

Spend the entire day at Hector last night.

Flights kept getting delayed because of the wind.

Then when it died down. Rumors were there was barely any ground crew working because they sent them all home earlier in the day.

Hector had a sign showing their big expansion plans.

IIRC, Nine total gates after completion

Fargo and their airport growing faster than GF. More earth shattering news at 10.

• Upvote 1

The airport director needs to get more aggressive in getting carriers into GF.’you don’t need more gates for planes that aren’t here.

called the director once and the feeling I got was don’t bother me,

minot has 5 or 6 gates but more carriers.

you would think with UND flight school there would be a push from them to help get carriers here.

it sucks to see so many from GF flying out of Fargo including UND

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Kab said:

The airport director needs to get more aggressive in getting carriers into GF.’you don’t need more gates for planes that aren’t here.

you would think with UND flight school there would be a push from them to help get carriers here.

How long has director been here and what has he dine

1 hour ago, Kab said:

Where do people in grand forks want to go.  And people coming to GF from where.  Figure out how to make the most inexpensive  route.  Simple.  Build until the wall bust.  Something a UND professor taught.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Where do people in grand forks want to go.  And people coming to GF from where.  Figure out how to make the most inexpensive  route.  Simple.  Build until the wall bust.  Something a UND professor taught.

Chicago

dallas

denver

these are a good start 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kab said:

That 5 am flight you have to take from GF to get anywhere is brutal - that's the main problem.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Kab said:

Chicago

dallas

denver

these are a good start 

Was looking at flights to Chicago for a trip in May yesterday. To fly from Fargo price was $233. To fly from Grand Forks the price was $508.

Yeah....I will be flying from Fargo.

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Was looking at flights to Chicago for a trip in May yesterday. To fly from Fargo price was $233. To fly from Grand Forks the price was $508.

But if you use the handy dandy true cost calculator on GFK's website it... still costs way less to drive to Fargo. Not to mention the risk of a missed or delayed connecting flight ruining your vacation

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Not to mention the risk of a missed or delayed connecting flight ruining your vacation

From experience, this happens out of Fargo just as much Grand Forks. And it is not fun regardless of where it happens at.

54 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I was referring to flying direct from Fargo to Chicago where as out of GFK you have to connect in MSP.

Gotcha.
I've had that FAR>ORD flight cancelled and delayed on me multiple times, missing connections. ORD seems to be nothing be trouble when I connect through there.

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

Croa even minot has more options. Our airports really fallen behind since new guy took iver

Look at what the Williston director has done along with the current and former mayor.

if you don’t try you are going backwards 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Ha, I just was doing the same and booked a flight out of Fargo for Mid May. 

• Upvote 1

What destinations are there from GFK? MSP, Vegas, Mesa and Orlando? Can you fly direct to all of those from Winnipeg? Guessing you can fly direct to all of them from Fargo? I think they need to be creative and find a way to add a flight that neither Winnipeg or Fargo has access to. NYC? Seattle? New Orleans? SLC? Just thinking out loud

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

What destinations are there from GFK? MSP, Vegas, Mesa and Orlando? Can you fly direct to all of those from Winnipeg? Guessing you can fly direct to all of them from Fargo? I think they need to be creative and find a way to add a flight that neither Winnipeg or Fargo has access to. NYC? Seattle? New Orleans? Just thinking out loud

Agreed, that'd be a way to get Fargo people driving to GF to fly. Seattle would be nice in order to access the PNW more directly.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

What destinations are there from GFK? MSP, Vegas, Mesa and Orlando? Can you fly direct to all of those from Winnipeg? Guessing you can fly direct to all of them from Fargo? I think they need to be creative and find a way to add a flight that neither Winnipeg or Fargo has access to. NYC? Seattle? New Orleans? SLC? Just thinking out loud

It will have to be a hub, so SLC would be the most logical out of those options. NYC is too long and thin route for GFK, plus there are slot issues. 

I think there was a flight to SLC from Fargo maybe a decade or so ago but was cut during the great recession. 

Any route will be tough as more pilots retires, planes resize, and airlines consolidate. 

• Upvote 1

It all comes down to population.  Fargo metro area has almost 260,000 and has gained 5% since the last census.  GF metro has 103,000 and has lost 1% since 2020.   The growth rate is what needs to be addressed.

What I can't figure out is why are air carriers subsidized to serve places like Jamestown and Devils Lake?  It's costing the taxpayers a lot of money so these towns can have Puddle Jumper air service and I bet it's hardly even used.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

It all comes down to population.  Fargo metro area has almost 260,000 and has gained 5% since the last census.  GF metro has 103,000 and has lost 1% since 2020.   The growth rate is what needs to be addressed.

What I can't figure out is why are air carriers subsidized to serve places like Jamestown and Devils Lake?  It's costing the taxpayers a lot of money so these towns can have Puddle Jumper air service and I bet it's hardly even used.

The EAS program is one of those untouchable programs in politics. Neither side wants to address it or be on the hook for ending the program. Both North Dakota Senators were strong advocates for both DVL and JMS when they nearly lost service a couple years ago. 

Denver is a must

GF is the only ND airport without that destiantion

williston, Minot, Dickinson, J Town, D lake, Fargo, Bismarck have it.

chicago,would be next

Is there a carrier that services Chicago, Denver and Dallas?