SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

27 minutes ago, Kab said:

Denver is a must

GF is the only ND airport without that destiantion

williston, Minot, Dickinson, J Town, D lake, Fargo, Bismarck have it.

chicago,would be next

Is there a carrier that services Chicago, Denver and Dallas? 

I believe AA out of FAR can get you connected through Chicago and Dallas. We only fly Delta unless we can get somewhere direct on Alligiant. AA and UA are trash.....and that's being kind.

• Upvote 1

There was once an article in the GF Herald a few years ago about Denver Air Connection possibly adding a route from GFK.  They apparently have agreements where you can book flights with them through either United or American.  I'm not sure if that's more realistic or not versus getting one of the mainline carriers to add a route, but is a potential option.

The Allegiant flights can work nicely from GFK if I am heading to one of those destinations.  But if I need to get somewhere on one of the mainline carriers I don't even bother checking GFK anymore because I know the Delta flights out of Fargo are going to be cheaper with better connections.  On top of that, I rarely fly Delta because I find American & United are almost always cheaper.

I often feel GFK would be far better off with a "mainline" carrier serving either DEN,DFW, or ORD and then getting a "boutique" carrier to run the daily MSP route.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

There was once an article in the GF Herald a few years ago about Denver Air Connection possibly adding a route from GFK.  They apparently have agreements where you can book flights with them through either United or American.  I'm not sure if that's more realistic or not versus getting one of the mainline carriers to add a route, but is a potential option.

The Allegiant flights can work nicely from GFK if I am heading to one of those destinations.  But if I need to get somewhere on one of the mainline carriers I don't even bother checking GFK anymore because I know the Delta flights out of Fargo are going to be cheaper with better connections.  On top of that, I rarely fly Delta because I find American & United are almost always cheaper.

I often feel GFK would be far better off with a "mainline" carrier serving either DEN,DFW, or ORD and then getting a "boutique" carrier to run the daily MSP route.

That’s why I asked if one carrier could do those 3 destinations each 2 times per week giving 6 days a week for GFK

3 hours ago, Kab said:

Denver is a must

GF is the only ND airport without that destiantion

williston, Minot, Dickinson, J Town, D lake, Fargo, Bismarck have it.

chicago,would be next

Is there a carrier that services Chicago, Denver and Dallas? 

Our airport hear don’t care 

56 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

260,000? Listening to their mouthpieces, you'd think it was closer to 500,000 or 600,000 by now. In another decade, they'll be making a bid for an NFL team. :silly:

People are leaving Grand Forks? There must be ghosts living in those homes and apartments being built on the south side. Those companies must be swimming in red ink. :silly:

The Grand Forks Airport problem mirrors the problems with UND athletics. Instead of thinking outside the box and brainstorming possible solutions, all we do is make excuses and insist that nothing can be done about it. Bochenski gets elected mayor and tries to do things to make Grand Forks grow and he gets backlash from the same old status quo crowd that has held us back for so many years.

We need an attitude adjustment around here or none of this will matter.

I pulled this from Wikepedia, this is for the Grand Forks metro area.  2021 is the latest available.

2021 (est.) 103,462 [1] −0.9%

U.S. Decennial Census[2]

This is for Grand Forks alone

2022 (est.) 58,692 [6] −0.8%

U.S. Decennial Census[44]

Both show a decline unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

I pulled this from Wikepedia, this is for the Grand Forks metro area.  2021 is the latest available.

2021 (est.) 103,462 [1] −0.9%

U.S. Decennial Census[2]

This is for Grand Forks alone

2022 (est.) 58,692 [6] −0.8%

U.S. Decennial Census[44]

Both show a decline unfortunately.

Doubtful, or there are a lot of empty housing units

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Kab said:

Doubtful, or there are a lot of empty housing units

Aging population.  Instead of 3 or 4 people in a house you have 2.  Birth rates are declining too.  I do trust the accuracy of population estimates.   They aren't perfect but they tend to indicate trends.  And I'm just passing on what I saw.   These certainly aren't my figures.

7 hours ago, Hawkster said:

Aging population.  Instead of 3 or 4 people in a house you have 2.  Birth rates are declining too.  I do trust the accuracy of population estimates.   They aren't perfect but they tend to indicate trends.  And I'm just passing on what I saw.   These certainly aren't my figures.

Then the same reasoning would go for Fargo 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

This should definitely stimulate the housing market in GF. I mean who wouldn't want on official Olympic gold medal after buying a house from Monique.

d64f3e58-104b-4516-ba15-811f3dd19ab2.jpg

Maybe she can get the 400 families here that the gf edc promised with the investment in grand sky

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2024 at 6:53 PM, Kab said:

The airport director needs to get more aggressive in getting carriers into GF.’you don’t need more gates for planes that aren’t here.

called the director once and the feeling I got was don’t bother me,

minot has 5 or 6 gates but more carriers.

you would think with UND flight school there would be a push from them to help get carriers here.

it sucks to see so many from GF flying out of Fargo including UND

Minot has 6 parking spots but only 4 gates can expand to 8 gates though. Williston has 4 parking spots but 3 gates.   Both cities stated they learned from the mistakes of grand forks. 

1 hour ago, forksandspoons said:

I don't pay for heraldo.... Where could they get add on to... Wonder if gisi wishes he would ve done with the first proposal with the new part about 8 stories?

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

I don't pay for heraldo.... Where could they get add on to... Wonder if gisi wishes he would ve done with the first proposal with the new part about 8 stories?

Doesn’t say but looking at Google maps I think the only spot would be on the back side toward the alley on the east 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

Doesn’t say but looking at Google maps I think the only spot would be on the back side toward the alley on the east 

Is the red building too historic to tear down?

7 hours ago, forksandspoons said:

if this is the plan then they should've just gone higher with the new addition?

Screenshot 2024-03-02 9.22.41 PM.png

12 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

if this is the plan then they should've just gone higher with the new addition?

Screenshot 2024-03-02 9.22.41 PM.png

For some reason I remember the city making him downsize the size of the project during the pandemic. I remember he was threatening to call it off completely. Maybe doing it in stages was a compromise? Idk 

1 hour ago, forksandspoons said:

For some reason I remember the city making him downsize the size of the project during the pandemic. I remember he was threatening to call it off completely. Maybe doing it in stages was a compromise? Idk 

Way would the city tell him to downscale....I think he downsized because of COVID and rising costs

3 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Way would the city tell him to downscale....I think he downsized because of COVID and rising costs

That was part of it as well but I think since he was asking for tax help from the city at the same time they wanted the project to be smaller. I’m sure someone can find the articles 

• Upvote 1