SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

2 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/space-development-agency-announces-mission-expansion-at-grand-forks-air-force-base

Space Development Agency announces mission expansion at Grand Forks Air Force Base

could employ up to 240 people! 

there's your new housing developement south of kings walk..........it's almost like these people know these things.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

and?

Whatever impact(s) the drone park (or any other economic development initiative of late) has had, do not seem to have translated into positive gains in retail, entertainment, or dining (i.e., the things that regular folks might notice).  Only landowners for single-family and multi-family residential seem to be benefiting, but even that growth seems tempered (esp. compared to Fargo and WF).

In other words, if GF is on a roll, when do we see the payoff?

1 minute ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Whatever impact(s) the drone park (or any other economic development initiative of late) has had, do not seem to have translated into positive gains in retail, entertainment, or dining (i.e., the things that regular folks might notice).  Only landowners for single-family and multi-family residential seem to be benefiting, but even that growth seems tempered (esp. compared to Fargo and WF).

might take bo a while to fix 20 years called "the brown years!"

49 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Whenever the new overpass/ramps get built on 29, I think that will help to spur development.  Bizarre how little access there is to/from I29 for Grand Forks.

Are the Canadians finally coming back into town in large numbers?  Perhaps that could do it..  I'm guessing covid and border issues put a huge damper on things.  There any statistics on how much they contribute to the local economy, historically?   

48 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Curious how Discount Tire will fare in GF...they do quite well in the Twin Cities.

Price match

fix flats free no matter where you bought tires

fast service 

I’ve had good luck with them 

• Upvote 3

I live in Hatton. Needed new tires for my RAM 2500 a year ago and priced them out all over GF. Turns out the local COOP had a better deal without the pressuring upsells and pitches. Ordered the tires and the job got done when they arrived. These small farm towns still have buying power and don't give a sh!t about financing, buy 3 get one free, or nitrogen in the tires. Highly recommend if you don't need to have the need to have your tires changed in an hour.

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Kab said:

Price match

fix flats free no matter where you bought tires

fast service 

I’ve had good luck with them 

Great store, they are the brick and mortar stores for Tire Rack.  Pick out what you want on Tire Rack and then call discount tire to set everything up.  It's a great deal.

1 hour ago, St Patrick said:

I live in Hatton. Needed new tires for my RAM 2500 a year ago and priced them out all over GF. Turns out the local COOP had a better deal without the pressuring upsells and pitches. Ordered the tires and the job got done when they arrived. These small farm towns still have buying power and don't give a sh!t about financing, buy 3 get one free, or nitrogen in the tires. Highly recommend if you don't need to have the need to have your tires changed in an hour.

I'm down in Finley and I agree, between the local coop and local auto shop u know your getting honest service and what you want. They pick the truck up at the house and drop it back off. 

• Upvote 2

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/general-atomics-inaugurates-new-pilot-training-hangar?utm_source=email&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=singlearticle&utm_content=single_article_newsletter_promo&utm_market=grandforksherald

General Atomics inaugurates new pilot training hangar

Facility will be used to train defense personnel on unmanned aircraft from several allied nations, including UK, Italy, Netherlands and Spain

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Worth it's weight in gold for families with toddlers.  Would make it way easier for me to justify bringing my kids up to GF for a FB or hockey game if there's other stuff for them to do while we are in town.  From a quality of life perspective, things like that are huge for keeping young families in town.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

Worth it's weight in gold for families with toddlers.  Would make it way easier for me to justify bringing my kids up to GF for a FB or hockey game if there's other stuff for them to do while we are in town.  From a quality of life perspective, things like that are huge for keeping young families in town.

tell that to my new property tax bill.

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

can't we multi-purpose facilities we already have........couldn't some of these "science experiments" and whatnot be done at the library?

couldn't most of what happens at the senior center be done at the alerus center?