SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

On 7/30/2019 at 4:26 PM, SiouxVolley said:

This article says that the UAV industry in Grand Forks expanded from 120 or so jobs in 2016 to more than 430 in 2018.

https://www.westfargopioneer.com/business/4487413-north-dakota-unmanned-aircraft-industry-takes

Thought the employment was projected to grow to more than a 1000 jobs by 2020.

I wonder if they're still on track fro 1,000 UAS jobs by 2020?

14 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

I would be immersing myself in that industry if I were a Grand Forks bigwig #gobc.  Make it a cold Huntsville.  

Autonomous machines/cars/equipment is so close.  With Ag and construction manufacturing in ND, MN and Winnipeg someone in Grand Forks needs to piggy back the UAV success and try to attract other businesses in this booming field.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, homer said:

Autonomous machines/cars/equipment is so close.  With Ag and construction manufacturing in ND, MN and Winnipeg someone in Grand Forks needs to piggy back the UAV success and try to attract other businesses in this booming field.  

And the Grand Forks AFB, the aviation, entrepreneurship, and engineering programs feed so nicely into this.  The opportunity is mind-boggling.   

On 11/2/2019 at 9:01 AM, forksandspoons said:

This is massive and yet it garners few comments. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, streetsahead said:

People only like commenting on bad news.  Good news doesn't fit the brand.

In fairness to the negative Nellies, expansion and growth are always reported prospectively, as in, investment, development, and jobs over time.  Construction and expansion of infrastructure do not occur overnight.  And the media does not always do a good job following up as those anticipated jobs are filled, houses are sold, etc.  Plus, a lot of reported plans never come to fruition.

Layoffs and closings tend to have immediate impact, and we can all relate to someone losing their job, whereas not all of us are looking for positions in new or hot, young industries.

Blame it on human nature, not the individual humans.

1 minute ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

In fairness to the negative Nellies, expansion and growth are always reported prospectively, as in, investment, development, and jobs over time.  Construction and expansion of infrastructure do not occur overnight.  And the media does not always do a good job following up as those anticipated jobs are filled, houses are sold, etc.  Plus, a lot of reported plans never come to fruition.

Layoffs and closings tend to have immediate impact, and we can all relate to someone losing their job, whereas not all of us are looking for positions in new or hot, young industries.

Blame it on human nature, not the individual humans.

Very true.  It's hard to get excited about the new development that's 5 years away but it's very noticeable and immediate when that store or restaurant you frequent (or your employer) closes.

On 9/26/2019 at 8:43 AM, Cratter said:

Looks like Acme is expanding their fulfillment warehouse.

Framing is going up. Looks dang near double the size.

With Border States building a new building just down the road. It probably will only be a few years before the industrial park is full.

I see another shop is being built on Heartland Drive by the interstate. 

Anyone know what business was just build behind Superpumper by Menards?

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

This is massive and yet it garners few comments. 

Buddy bought a house in the area not too far from Northrop. He fixed it up and half jokingly stated I'm going to sell it for a pretty penny in a few years to some UAV big wig. 

Skating rinks, swimming pools, walking bridges over the Red River.

I don't see why the Park District doesn't build a half decent sledding, tubing, skiing hill. 

Turtle River State Park has a decent one. I would think Grand Forks would surely like a nicer bigger closer one.

6 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I don't see why the Park District doesn't build a half decent sledding, tubing, skiing hill. 

Turtle River State Park has a decent one. I would think Grand Forks would surely like a nicer bigger closer one.

The altitude might give some folks around here even lighter heads.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/9/2019 at 10:35 AM, Cratter said:

post a pic of that tobaggan slide that would have been at the corner of almonte and 13th...that thing was awesome. but lawsuits nowadays...

16 minutes ago, northernraider said:

Heraldo reports that GAP is closing at the mall.

J.C. Penny is barely hanging on as a company (shares hovering around $1.00), wouldn't be surprised if that closes in 2020 or early 2021 depending on holiday sales.

If not for Scheels, that mall would be on a life-support

It's unbelievable what has happened at malls all over the country since the glory days of the 1980's and early 1990's.