SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

On 7/19/2019 at 11:13 AM, fightingsioux4life said:

Top candidates for the next Interstate Interchange:

-17th Avenue South (next to the Alerus Center).

-47th Avenue South (the city is growing in that area).

-Merrifield Road (bridge is already there, just need to add ramps).

The new south-end bridge (it is inevitable that we will need one whether people like it or not) should go in at 47th Avenue South; it would impact far fewer people than 32nd Avenue South.

17th Avenue South is a non-starter. It's a mile from both 32nd Avenue and Demers Avenue. What should go there is an underpass (no ramps) like at 40th Avenue in Fargo. That would let Alerus traffic go west from events to the north-south road in the industrial park and then to 32nd or Demers.  

I know the King's Walk folks want 47th Ave but it'd be more cost effective to finally put ramps on Merrifield Road (where there's already an overpass). It's only three miles from Merrifield Road to 32nd Avenue South. Putting in a Merrifield exchange would truly open up south end development. 

As far as a south bridge over the Red ... 32nd would make sense as would Merrifield Road, because they'd line up well to Minnesota side roadways, so those can't happen. 

7 hours ago, forksandspoons said:

4-6 new businesses (and/or existing ones expanding).

4-6 new businesses in Grand Forks? What are they? Thanks!

Not all have store fronts or actually physically expand.

Off the top of my head currently under construction are a new church, ironhide equipment, simplot expansion, new plant by CHS on 42nd, New strip mall on South Washington. Im sure theres more than that this year in GF.

Lots of industrial businesses that aren't on main thoroughfares or get articles in the newspaper.

• Upvote 2

Not to beat a dead horse on the Alerus Center, but I just read today that it lost 3.7 Million last year? I thought things had turned around with it when Spectra took over? As I dug into it, nearly all publicly owned event centers lose money...with of course the exception of the mighty Fargo Dome that bleeds money. 

4 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Not to beat a dead horse on the Alerus Center, but I just read today that it lost 3.7 Million last year? I thought things had turned around with it when Spectra took over? As I dug into it, nearly all publicly owned event centers lose money...with of course the exception of the mighty Fargo Dome that bleeds money. 

They all don't talk about the sale tax portion or depreciation portion.  

1 hour ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

It's like saying the roads in Grand Forks lost $6.2 million last year.

1 hour ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

That works out to over $10,000 daily.

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

Here's some more new or expanding businesses:

20190723_171759.jpg

20190723_165050.jpg

20190723_164047.jpg

Here’s a listing of commercial building permits either done, approved, or applied for.

https://www.gfgis.com/developmentprojects/

Dakota Lithium is building a factory on N 39th north of Gateway, like was suggested last year.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4514811-battery-maker-plans-factory-grand-forks

Converting sugar beet and other organic waste to ethanol will be located nearby with the Red River Refinery.

• Upvote 1

On 7/22/2019 at 5:04 PM, Cratter said:

Not all have store fronts or actually physically expand.

Off the top of my head currently under construction are a new church, ironhide equipment, simplot expansion, new plant by CHS on 42nd, New strip mall on South Washington. Im sure theres more than that this year in GF.

Lots of industrial businesses that aren't on main thoroughfares or get articles in the newspaper.

Everything you listed is great for the business infrastructure of Grand Forks, but nearly every example provides no new jobs. Ironhide is getting a new facility that's actually in a much less convenient location but gives them the much needed space they require (no new job creation). Simplot expansion is just a larger 100% mechanically crane operated freezer to eliminate the costs of sending frozen product across town to Hennison CS, which will now probably put Hennison out of business and will actually probably cause people to lose their jobs. Is the new CHS plant a completely new business in the area, or is it just an upgraded building? I hope it is a new business in the area because that would actually create some new jobs...if it's just an upgrade then I'm assuming employee numbers will stay flat. The tiny strip mall way way south on South Washington? I suppose that could add a few new businesses and in turn some new jobs, but with the other strip mall on the East side of Washinton where the Crary building already struggling, I'm wondering what the thought process was behind that? Bully Brew shut down, Snap fitness is probably hanging by a thread, I've heard Helix and that Jewelry store are both also on their last legs, and probably the only other shop in that mall is the powerplate meals which I've also heard isn't doing so hot. Judging by the failure of that strip mall, I'm assuming this new smaller strip mall will just be a new HQ for some small insurance agencies and businesses similar to that. 

It is great to hear about that new facility moving in on N 39th street though, because that should be a larger facility, and is brand new to the area so it should be creating some good jobs. Anyone have any idea about how many jobs it could create?

With the amazing automation engineering advances we're seeing, the Grand Forks economy is going to change from a slow downward lean to a nose dive if they continue to lean on Industrial businesses to drive their economy. There really needs to be some major tax intensives offered out for newer or expanding tech companies, energy companies and I hate to say it but maybe even cannabis companies looking to put down some roots or relocate. GF should be seeking these businesses out, because naturally none of them are even going to be considering cities in ND to HQ in, and if they do we all know it will be Fargo or Bismarck over GF. 

14 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Everything you listed is great for the business infrastructure of Grand Forks, but nearly every example provides no new jobs.

Simplot expansion is just a larger 100% mechanically crane operated freezer

The biorefinery I listed will add 25 jobs.

Simplot freezer will add 30.

People investing money in commercial property's like strip malls on S Washington (and the three new commercial shop buildings being built next to Hobby Lobby) probably have a better grip on the local economy than armchair ones.

The 500 people that Grand Forks adds every year are working somewhere.  (Obviously not all are "working age".)

New hugos.  New eye surgery facility. I mean I could go on and on but whats the point? 

Drove out to the airbase today. I noticed just outside the gate they are building a big new commercial building. Add that to the other shop space that was just completed this spring across from Cenex. 

Two new buildings in an area that hasn't seen any new construction in decades. Wonder if it's cause of the new UAV park?

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

Drove out to the airbase today. I noticed they are building a big new commercial building. Add that to the other shops space that was just completed this spring across from Cenex. 

Two new buildings in an area that hasn't seen any new construction in decades. Wonder if it's cause of the new UAV park?

There were announcements in the Herald last year that two defense contractors were building their new facilities to take advantage of the UAV Park.

Here’s a story on General Atomics expansion announcement.  http://knoxradio.com/news/local/grand-sky-expansion

http://www.ga-asi.com/ga-asi-expands-flight-test-and-training-center-in-north-dakota

Northrop Grumman also listed expansion plans back in 2017.

8 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

There were announcements in the Herald last year that two defense contractors were building their new facilities to take advantage of the UAV Park.

Here’s a story on General Atomics expansion announcement.  http://knoxradio.com/news/local/grand-sky-expansion

http://www.ga-asi.com/ga-asi-expands-flight-test-and-training-center-in-north-dakota

Northrop Grumman also listed expansion plans back in 2017.

From your link:

He says the current staff will also grow from around 30 to 50 by next year.

There's 20 more jobs from one company in one year.

On 7/27/2019 at 4:45 AM, Cratter said:

From your link:

There's 20 more jobs from one company in one year.

This article says that the UAV industry in Grand Forks expanded from 120 or so jobs in 2016 to more than 430 in 2018.

https://www.westfargopioneer.com/business/4487413-north-dakota-unmanned-aircraft-industry-takes

Thought the employment was projected to grow to more than a 1000 jobs by 2020.

15 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

This article says that the UAV industry in Grand Forks expanded from 120 or so jobs in 2016 to more than 430 in 2018.

https://www.westfargopioneer.com/business/4487413-north-dakota-unmanned-aircraft-industry-takes

Thought the employment was projected to grow to more than a 1000 jobs by 2020.

Awesome for GF.