SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

How many jobs do apartments create may I ask? Yes maybe a few for a year or so but nothing like a long standing company for years. 

We loose another business. Good job city council mayor brown business development guys

Jobs are also destroyed by bad management.  Just saying.

It is going to be a very rough few years for the local economy in Grand Forks, with the gradual enrollment declines at UND (fewer of the students will actually be in Grand Forks; this is especially the case for many masters' level programs and some PhD programs), and changes in the national economy. As per questions of people being willing to drive an hour from Grand Forks to Fargo, in many areas around the country,this situation is already in place with people being willing and happy to drive an hour to go to a larger city. Downtown development seems to be going in the right direction at least, and that is an encouraging sign. I'm a bit surprised Best Buy has stayed open as long as it has as it usually is fairly empty.

11 hours ago, gfhockey said:

How many jobs do apartments create may I ask?

Employers look for workforce. Workforce needs affordable housing. 

I'm no fan of the standard, stale, three-story apartment building, but that's home for manufacturing workers and entry level professionals. Companies looking to place a facility look for things like workers and workers look for affordable housing (and initially that's apartments). 

If I were starting a company I'd look for a city with workforce. 
If I were looking at a job in a city the first thing I'd look for is where to live. 

It's all tied together.
You have to think like a systems engineer: how do all the moving pieces mesh together. 

46 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Employers look for workforce. Workforce needs affordable housing. 

I'm no fan of the standard, stale, three-story apartment building, but that's home for manufacturing workers and entry level professionals. Companies looking to place a facility look for things like workers and workers look for affordable housing (and initially that's apartments). 

If I were starting a company I'd look for a city with workforce. 
If I were looking at a job in a city the first thing I'd look for is where to live. 

It's all tied together.
You have to think like a systems engineer: how do all the moving pieces mesh together. 

As far as workforce goes, a larger, more attractive downtown will also help Grand Forks to retain young professionals.

• Upvote 1

Good god what a depressing thread. What in the world is going on in GF? It seems 1 business is shutting down per week. 

What’s the city council, mayor etc. etc. doing to combat this downward spiral? Will a downtown facelift really be enough to bring in or keep young people? Not sure I’d ever move there. And even if I did there’s not many options for strong companies with strong career growth potential. 

UND, aviation, simplot? , Hugo’s? Haha 

6 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Good god what a depressing thread. What in the world is going on in GF? It seems 1 business is shutting down per week. 

What’s the city council, mayor etc. etc. doing to combat this downward spiral? Will a downtown facelift really be enough to bring in or keep young people? Not sure I’d ever move there. And even if I did there’s not many options for strong companies with strong career growth potential. 

as long as Herr Brown keeps getting his "one to go" box of food complementary of the citizens of grand forks at all his meetings....he aint going anywhere...(by the sounds of it the city of GF could've paid off the Alerus Center with all the free food he's gotten over the years)

7 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

It's an hour away from a way better situated "city."  Fargo is a vacuum.  The aviation stuff and AFB are valuable.

29 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

as long as Herr Brown keeps getting his "one to go" box of food complementary of the citizens of grand forks at all his meetings....he aint going anywhere...(by the sounds of it the city of GF could've paid off the Alerus Center with all the free food he's gotten over the years)

You can't expect him to pay for a meal on his measly mayor and physician salary. Really want to pay off the Alerus Center, cut Pete Hagga who makes over 100k. I have yet had anyone tell me what he does that isn't already covered by the Mayor and City Administrator. 

• Upvote 2

Wells Concrete makes prefab concrete panels for construction.  It has three MSP area factories now, as they have plenty of need there.  When Concrete, Inc, got bought out, that was the beginning of the end.  MSP based companies also seem to generally dislike outstate offices and factories.

https://www.wellsconcrete.com/careers/

A worse situation was when Ecolab closed its Grand Forks office and dropped 144 workers here.  Don't remember the division’s old GF name, but another example of selling the business to a bigger company, the jobs here get cut.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/news/2012/10/18/ecolab-closing-grand-forks-office.html

Edit:  Lystad’s was the name of the Grand Forks company that was bought by Ecolab, and then dismantled its Grand Forks operation.