SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

20 minutes ago, gfNDfan said:

Dakota Commercial has more vacant commercial properties in this town than I've ever seen!   Sure they OWN all the commercial property...they just don't want to RENT the commercial property unless it's at "their" rate.   Look around - for example.  Golden Corral closed down 6 years ago.  DC converted that space into a strip mall that has never been occupied by more than a car dealership for a couple months as their location underwent street construction.  They have "space available" signs everywhere else in this town.  Maybe they could have cut Bed Bath and Beyond a break....considering the current retail situation in GF....guess not:-)

Retail space monopolies will just sink themselves like IRET is doing in Minot. I don’t know how businesses can make enough money to pay rent let alone make a profit. Oh well vacant properties are rolling in the dough..........not.

12 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Retail space monopolies will just sink themselves like IRET is doing in Minot. I don’t know how businesses can make enough money to pay rent let alone make a profit. Oh well vacant properties are rolling in the dough..........not.

I 100% agree with this. It happens in many cities similar to the size of Grand Forks and Minot. You see it in the residential real estate as well. One company owns the majority of the land, builds the majority of the homes, and sells the majority of the homes, so they essentially control the market and drive the price up as much as they can to keep homes selling. Crary...

IMO the Grand Forks economy seems to be in an even worse hurt bag than Minot, which is saying something. Every time I come to town stores seem to be more and more empty with not really anything new going on for shoppers or visitors. I'm sure I will get squawked at again for stating the obvious about Grand Forks, but their economy is 100% for certain in a downward spiral. Even the majority of the Canadians seem to be bypassing GF for Fargo now. That's a bad sign when they're willing to go over 140 more miles just to shop. Yes Canadian traffic is also down a little bit due to the exchange rate, but there's more of an issue of them bypassing GF from what I've seen. I'm sure the folks from TRF, Bemidji, Grafton, Devils Lake, Park River and so on are doing the same thing. 

No one should be surprised that Bed Bath and Beyond is closing. It's just another large store with an empty parking lot the majority of the time. Next on the chopping block is Furniture row, Kohl's, Hobby Lobby, Micheal's, Old Navy, Gordman's, Best Buy, the entire mall, and probably some others. Yes retail in general is struggling this day and age, but why does Grand Forks seem to be having so much more of a problem? What is the city trying to do about it? Or are they continuing to deflect the issue all together? What does mayor Brown have to say about it? 

We don't even need to talk about Altru, because everyone knows they're not winning any awards and probably losing customers daily to Sanford in Fargo. 

If you ask me, I think the Columbia Mall will no longer be around in under 2 years, and the remainder of those businesses I mentioned will be closed within the next 5 years. Will the flagship stores of WM, Menards, Lowe's, Target and Scheels be enough to keep bringing people into town? Or is Grand Forks eventually just going to kneel to Fargo for all shopping and entertainment? I've also noticed more HWY 2 folks coming to Minot to fly, and judging by the data, it looks like a lot of them are choosing to drive to Fargo to fly out as well. Just another kick in the shorts for Grand Forks. I don't get what the issue is there. 

How are the GF folks not more upset about this obvious issue? It almost seems as if most don't even acknowledge it , so maybe that's the underlying reason behind it all. 

A few things I've noticed that actually seem to be doing well in GF (on the weekends anyway) are Menards, Target, Great Clips, Scheels and ALL of the restaurants on 32nd other than Arby's. I've also noticed that AMC somehow revived themselves because they've looked pretty steady or busy the last few times I've seen, whereas 2 years ago it looked like they were hanging on by a thread. Did they remodel? 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I 100% agree with this. It happens in many cities similar to the size of Grand Forks and Minot. You see it in the residential real estate as well. One company owns the majority of the land, builds the majority of the homes, and sells the majority of the homes, so they essentially control the market and drive the price up as much as they can to keep homes selling. Crary...

IMO the Grand Forks economy seems to be in an even worse hurt bag than Minot, which is saying something. Every time I come to town stores seem to be more and more empty with not really anything new going on for shoppers or visitors. I'm sure I will get squawked at again for stating the obvious about Grand Forks, but their economy is 100% for certain in a downward spiral. Even the majority of the Canadians seem to be bypassing GF for Fargo now. That's a bad sign when they're willing to go over 140 more miles just to shop. Yes Canadian traffic is also down a little bit due to the exchange rate, but there's more of an issue of them bypassing GF from what I've seen. I'm sure the folks from TRF, Bemidji, Grafton, Devils Lake, Park River and so on are doing the same thing. 

No one should be surprised that Bed Bath and Beyond is closing. It's just another large store with an empty parking lot the majority of the time. Next on the chopping block is Furniture row, Kohl's, Hobby Lobby, Micheal's, Old Navy, Gordman's, Best Buy, the entire mall, and probably some others. Yes retail in general is struggling this day and age, but why does Grand Forks seem to be having so much more of a problem? What is the city trying to do about it? Or are they continuing to deflect the issue all together? What does mayor Brown have to say about it? 

We don't even need to talk about Altru, because everyone knows they're not winning any awards and probably losing customers daily to Sanford in Fargo. 

If you ask me, I think the Columbia Mall will no longer be around in under 2 years, and the remainder of those businesses I mentioned will be closed within the next 5 years. Will the flagship stores of WM, Menards, Lowe's, Target and Scheels be enough to keep bringing people into town? Or is Grand Forks eventually just going to kneel to Fargo for all shopping and entertainment? I've also noticed more HWY 2 folks coming to Minot to fly, and judging by the data, it looks like a lot of them are choosing to drive to Fargo to fly out as well. Just another kick in the shorts for Grand Forks. I don't get what the issue is there. 

How are the GF folks not more upset about this obvious issue? It almost seems as if most don't even acknowledge it , so maybe that's the underlying reason behind it all. 

A few things I've noticed that actually seem to be doing well in GF (on the weekends anyway) are Menards, Target, Great Clips, Scheels and ALL of the restaurants on 32nd other than Arby's. I've also noticed that AMC somehow revived themselves because they've looked pretty steady or busy the last few weekends I've seen, whereas 2 years ago it looked like they were hanging on by a thread. Did they remodel? 

amc got more aggressive with their pricing...including a plan where i think you can see umlimited movies or at least a bunch if you buy a pass.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

A few things I've noticed that actually seem to be doing well in GF (on the weekends anyway) are Menards, Target, Great Clips, Scheels and ALL of the restaurants on 32nd other than Arby's. I've also noticed that AMC somehow revived themselves because they've looked pretty steady or busy the last few weekends I've seen, whereas 2 years ago it looked like they were hanging on by a thread. Did they remodel? 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/business/healthcare/4625967-Altru-Health-System-receives-top-ranking 

So much for this increased GF Herald coverage of UND Football because I met my limit of my free view of articles. I guess that is the end of me reading the Herald. I’m not going to subscribe to a newspaper that is hundreds of miles away from my home just for UND sport articles. Same goes for the Inforum 

Funny thing about AMC. Rather than spend any money significantly rehabbing the complex, they glossed it “AMC Classic” (corporate speak for old and unrenovated) and show first-run movies at discount prices. Genius, really, especially if you don’t mind the vintage or have not been to the movies in major cities recently.

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

So much for this increased GF Herald coverage of UND Football because I met my limit of my free view of articles. I guess that is the end of me reading the Herald. I’m not going to subscribe to a newspaper that is hundreds of miles away from my home just for UND sport articles. Same goes for the Inforum 

Follow along with my coverage of UND football and UND sports, follow Seamore Sports on Twitter and check out our site here. https://seamoresports.com/ , I will be covering the UND classic for volleyball this weekend, at UND pro day for Hockey and I cover as much UND sport as I can along with my wife who co-founded this with me (it was her idea)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MDtoGF said:

Follow along with my coverage of UND football and UND sports, follow Seamore Sports on Twitter and check out our site here. https://seamoresports.com/ , I will be covering the UND classic for volleyball this weekend, at UND pro day for Hockey and I cover as much UND sport as I can along with my wife who co-founded this with me (it was her idea)

360 on Twitter as well. 

2 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Funny thing about AMC. Rather than spend any money significantly rehabbing the complex, they glossed it “AMC Classic” (corporate speak for old and unrenovated) and show first-run movies at discount prices. Genius, really, especially if you don’t mind the vintage or have not been to the movies in major cities recently.

Extremely good idea actually

Rather than invest a large amount of money into a failing theater in hopes that it'll revive it. 

Glad to see it's doing better anyway. 

8 hours ago, MDtoGF said:

I read them all. It’s nice to have new articles to read everyday while bored at work!!!

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/government-and-politics/4668565-After-developer’s-warning-Grand-Forks-City-Council-votes-to-make-a-proposed-roadway-public

Enclave Development aims to turn land along Columbia Road between 40th and 45th avenues on the southside into, by the developer’s estimation, $30 million worth of offices and retail space. 

7 hours ago, Cratter said:

I'm surprised companies are still committed to building first, find a tenet later approach. GF is not exactly short in the office and retail space. 

On 9/17/2019 at 10:54 PM, gfNDfan said:

Dakota Commercial has more vacant commercial properties in this town than I've ever seen!   Sure they OWN all the commercial property...they just don't want to RENT the commercial property unless it's at "their" rate.   Look around - for example.  Golden Corral closed down 6 years ago.  DC converted that space into a strip mall that has never been occupied by more than a car dealership for a couple months as their location underwent street construction.  They have "space available" signs everywhere else in this town.  Maybe they could have cut Bed Bath and Beyond a break....considering the current retail situation in GF....guess not:-)

This isn't even close to accurate. Dakota Commercial owns very few properties themselves, and definitely don't own the buildings Bed, Bath and Beyond are in nor the old Golden Corral building. 

They are by far the largest commercial leasing agent/property manager in town, which is why their sign is in front of a lot of those vacant buildings. They get paid if those buildings have tenants, so this notion that they don't want to rent is a bit ridiculous. Depending on the building, they either have guidelines set by the owner on what kind of terms they are able to negotiate, or like in the case of BB&B, they aren't even involved in the negotiations, they just manage the property for the owners.

• Upvote 1

On 9/18/2019 at 2:01 PM, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Extremely good idea actually

Rather than invest a large amount of money into a failing theater in hopes that it'll revive it. 

Glad to see it's doing better anyway. 

AMC is slowly upgrading there theaters. The AMC classic in Rapid City is being renovated to a modern theater with sofa seating.  The AMC A list program is an incredible bargain. 20 bucks a month and you can see 3 movies a week including 3D. Especially great for students or seniors with limited entertainment budget. 

On 9/20/2019 at 9:21 AM, jdub27 said:

This isn't even close to accurate. Dakota Commercial owns very few properties themselves, and definitely don't own the buildings Bed, Bath and Beyond are in nor the old Golden Corral building. 

They are by far the largest commercial leasing agent/property manager in town, which is why their sign is in front of a lot of those vacant buildings. They get paid if those buildings have tenants, so this notion that they don't want to rent is a bit ridiculous. Depending on the building, they either have guidelines set by the owner on what kind of terms they are able to negotiate, or like in the case of BB&B, they aren't even involved in the negotiations, they just manage the property for the owners.

Much truth in above post. ^^^

1 hour ago, forksandspoons said:

"City staff said Justin LaRocque of Up North Pizza plans to open a new restaurant in town and the new rule would mean staff could serve liquor at both."

Huh, wonder what and where?

I was very skeptical when Up North Pizza opened in EGF, thinking how many pizza places can this area support. It quickly become my #1 destination for a sit-down pizza place. Hopefully, whatever is planned next will be just as awesome. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, northernraider said:

I was very skeptical when Up North Pizza opened in EGF, thinking how many pizza places can this area support. It quickly become my #1 destination for a sit-down pizza place. Hopefully, whatever is planned next will be just as awesome. 

Agreed. Very good pizza and a nice environment. 

• Upvote 1