SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

On 6/26/2019 at 7:05 PM, Sioux>Bison said:

Real order should be:

Fargo>Bismarck>Grand Forks>Minot>Jamestown>Dickinson> Williston> All other cities in ND

small towns are ok for people who stay inside all day....

That's a gross placement for Jamestown...Wow. I'd put Dickinson, Williston, Devils Lake, and a few others before Jamestown

https://www.inforum.com/news/3974446-ROBIN-HUEBNER-REPORTS-Fargo-Parks-Sanford-to-partner-in-major-southside-sports-complex

Misery Loves Company

As the finer folks of Minot flock to Bismarck and Fargo, I have a hunch the bleeding of population from Grand Forks to Fargo has only been worse and will undoubtedly keep getting worse with each one of these new developments in the F/M.

Is Fargo in the works to start passing Grand Forks in the only competitive (downright dominant) sport they have left? We've been seeing the creep with Davies, and unfortunately I think it's only a matter of time before one of the WF schools starts to pull away as well. 

In ten years will class A only consist of state titles won by Bis or Fargo schools? It's pretty dang close to that as it is. 

Crazy to think that 15 years ago(or less) Minot, GF, Bis and Fargo were all relatively similar in size and HS talent. 

Final note- It's almost disappointing that Minot and GF are building new health care facilities, because that pretty much crushes any hopes of a Sanford buyout. It would be nice to have a reliable and solidified health care system to set a stronghold pillar of the community unlike Altru and Trinity. I think Rydell and Simplot have probably actually done a better job than Altru in Grand Forks. Minot doesn't really have much else to fall back on other than some of the oil companies who chip in here and there.

Going back to this article, it looks like the UAS industry will give Grand Forks the shot in the arm it needs: 

UAS jobs were at 438 in Grand Forks in 2018, and leaders expect that number to reach 1,000 in the next couple of years. 

https://www.inforum.com/business/technology/4487413-north-dakota-unmanned-aircraft-industry-takes

LM Windpower also announced they are adding around 200 jobs within the last year. 

It's not all doom and gloom because Grand Forks isn't keeping up with Fargo. Could it do better? Probably. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

https://www.inforum.com/news/3974446-ROBIN-HUEBNER-REPORTS-Fargo-Parks-Sanford-to-partner-in-major-southside-sports-complex

Misery Loves Company

As the finer folks of Minot flock to Bismarck and Fargo, I have a hunch the bleeding of population from Grand Forks to Fargo has only been worse and will undoubtedly keep getting worse with each one of these new developments in the F/M.

Is Fargo in the works to start passing Grand Forks in the only competitive (downright dominant) sport they have left? We've been seeing the creep with Davies, and unfortunately I think it's only a matter of time before one of the WF schools starts to pull away as well. 

In ten years will class A only consist of state titles won by Bis or Fargo schools? It's pretty dang close to that as it is. 

Crazy to think that 15 years ago(or less) Minot, GF, Bis and Fargo were all relatively similar in size and HS talent. 

Final note- It's almost disappointing that Minot and GF are building new health care facilities, because that pretty much crushes any hopes of a Sanford buyout. It would be nice to have a reliable and solidified health care system to set a stronghold pillar of the community unlike Altru and Trinity. I think Rydell and Simplot have probably actually done a better job than Altru in Grand Forks. Minot doesn't really have much else to fall back on other than some of the oil companies who chip in here and there.

Wow, I guess I better start preparing the obituary for Grand Forks. :silly:

Easy Chicken Little. The sky is not falling. Grand Forks is growing, not shrinking. I have lived here for over 40 years and traffic is worse than I can ever remember. And all those apartments and town homes going up on the south side are not being built for ghosts.

Slow but steady growth is better than explosive growth. This was a great place to grow up, a great place to get an education and it is still a great place to live.

• Upvote 2

Grand Forks grows by about 800-1000 people per year.

It is what it is.

That's usually about 5-8 new large apartment complexes, 50-100 houses, and 4-6 new businesses (and/or existing ones expanding).

One new business being built right now is just off the interstate and 32nd ave next to Revolutions Power Sports. Anyone know what it is?

8 hours ago, Cratter said:

Grand Forks grows by about 800-1000 people per year.

It is what it is.

That's usually about 5-8 new large apartment complexes, 50-100 houses, and 4-6 new businesses (and/or existing ones expanding).

One new business being built right now is just off the interstate and 32nd ave next to Revolutions Power Sports. Anyone know what it is?

That will be the new location for Iron Hide Equipment, the Bobcat dealer on gateway Drive

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Brownville?

It’s more than just him. GF doesn’t need to be Fargo, but GF should have the “how can we help you succeed” always open for business mentality that has made Fargo thrive. They have more than a geographical advantage.

• Like 1

Just now, geaux_sioux said:

It’s more than just him. GF doesn’t need to be Fargo, but GF should have the “how can we help you succeed” always open for business mentality that has made Fargo thrive. They have more than a geographical advantage.

Good point, as long as we don't let business come in and dictate what and where we build. We need to strike a balance between business-friendly and business-centric.

Until we get more interstate exchanges building will be slow

should be at least 3 new ones between grand forks and Thompson 

seems fargo has one very mile on 94 and more on 29

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Kab said:

Until we get more interstate exchanges building will be slow

should be at least 3 new ones between grand forks and Thompson 

seems fargo has one very mile on 94 and more on 29

Top candidates for the next Interstate Interchange:

-17th Avenue South (next to the Alerus Center).

-47th Avenue South (the city is growing in that area).

-Merrifield Road (bridge is already there, just need to add ramps).

The new south-end bridge (it is inevitable that we will need one whether people like it or not) should go in at 47th Avenue South; it would impact far fewer people than 32nd Avenue South.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, homer said:

Great point

EXCEPT...more exits equals reduced speed.  In Fargo the limit goes from 75 to 55 in an instant and stays there on both 29 and 94 (we can certainly argue whether that speed was set appropriately, but that's another topic).  Who here wants to be forced to drive 55 through sleepy GFK?

17 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

EXCEPT...more exits equals reduced speed.  In Fargo the limit goes from 75 to 55 in an instant and stays there on both 29 and 94 (we can certainly argue whether that speed was set appropriately, but that's another topic).  Who here wants to be forced to drive 55 through sleepy GFK?

And who drives 55mph.   No one.

2 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

If that’s the best reason to pass on trying to supply the infrastructure for growth than I guess Grand Forks deserves to remain what it is.  

4 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

This. literally this.

The current and future generation of business THRIVES on inclusion.

Grand Forks gives the impression of actively and aggressively keeping small business and entrepreneurs “off their lawn”

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

For all of what 6 minutes? Most people in Fargo go at least 70 in that area anyway.

3 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

I believe whether urban interstate speed limits are lower is determined by population/density of the city.