SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

43 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Regarding the Columbia Mall, I recently read that some are predicting 25% of all malls will close in the next four years.

Just around here:

The Johnson City Mall is largely thriving, as it is a good location with accessory superstores nearby,  High schoolers don’t hang around in malls so much anymore.

The Kingport Mall is nearly dead, but they have revived themselves with a major sporting goods store replacing a department store, and rumors that the torn down Sears part will be rebuilt as a major grocery chain, the vacant store fronts have been covered with some wonderful historical photos that was done very professionally.  The 12 plex movie theater was remodeled by a new company and is a pleasure to go there again.

The old Bristol Mall has been torn down but new major strip malls with a Bass Pro Shop is really enticing the retail sector there.

A new major Mall has been proposed at the center of the Tri Cities for more than a decade, but investors don’t want in.

Lowe’s and Home Depot have been relatively thriving even with e-commerce.

• 4 weeks later...

Grand Forks County and Grand Forks both saw double-digit decreases in taxable sales & purchases in 2018 in comparison to 2017.  Should be interesting to see how the local Chamber and GOBC spin the data. 

https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=b03f2989ff914b598f1ceb75c233ab8c&extent=-104.5395,45.6803,-96.4261,49.197

19 minutes ago, northernraider said:

Grand Forks County and Grand Forks both saw double-digit decreases in taxable sales & purchases in 2018 in comparison to 2017.  Should be interesting to see how the local Chamber and GOBC spin the data. 

https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=b03f2989ff914b598f1ceb75c233ab8c&extent=-104.5395,45.6803,-96.4261,49.197

I'm sure it will be somewhere along the lines that we need to spend more money on things to get people to come to town, instead of figuring out that decreased disposable income has caused people to prioritize spending. 

14 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Will did Johnson beat out Bjerke? 

With the GF economy hurting, will the challenger finally beat out Johnson?

Bjerke moved out of Grand Forks.

However, it is certainly time to think about the next mayor, since the term is up in 2020. 

I would not be surprised if Brown ran again, but wonder who else will be a contender? 

A 2020 win would make Brown Mayor for 24 years, seems has to be time for a change right? 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, northernraider said:

Bjerke moved out of Grand Forks.

However, it is certainly time to think about the next mayor, since the term is up in 2020. 

I would not be surprised if Brown ran again, but wonder who else will be a contender? 

A 2020 win would make Brown Mayor for 24 years, seems has to be time for a change right? 

as long as people with the right last names have their way brown will serve for another 24 years.

23 hours ago, northernraider said:

Being a guy who looks at a lot of number and balance sheets, I'm going to ask some questions given this is one data point (and I'm always skeptical of one fiscal data point). 

1. What were the prior year's numbers? Was 2018 a "tough comp" because 2017 was monster record setting good? 
2. Was there a known change in the county, like construction finished on UND Med or the new Minnkota complex, so sales to finish those stopped? 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Being a guy who looks at a lot of number and balance sheets, I'm going to ask some questions given this is one data point (and I'm always skeptical of one fiscal data point). 

1. What were the prior year's numbers? Was 2018 a "tough comp" because 2017 was monster record setting good? 
2. Was there a known change in the county, like construction finished on UND Med or the new Minnkota complex, so sales to finish those stopped? 

How's the Canadian dollar doing?

On 3/17/2019 at 4:44 PM, UNDBIZ said:

Sounds like grand forks has some good entrepreneurs on their way up

Some girl scouts used to do that in Jamestown during their St Patty's Day Run. Having a couple thousand drunks walking by a cookie stand is going to sell a few boxes.

• 1 month later...
52 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

Good. Need to maximize the height with new buildings in the downtown. Shouldn't waste valuable space like they did with the Brownstones.

• Upvote 1

https://www.valleynewslive.com/content/news/Grand-Forks-named-worst-city-to-live-in-in-North-Dakota-by-Wall-Street-Journal-509923011.html

I'm sure everyone already saw this shared all over social media. It's pretty anecdotal information to base city "likeability" or "liveability" off of, but not surprisingly KVLY was all over it. 

59 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

https://www.valleynewslive.com/content/news/Grand-Forks-named-worst-city-to-live-in-in-North-Dakota-by-Wall-Street-Journal-509923011.html

I'm sure everyone already saw this shared all over social media. It's pretty anecdotal information to base city "likeability" or "liveability" off of, but not surprisingly KVLY was all over it. 

What pisses me off is inaccurate reporting. The source was 24/7 Wall Street, not the Wall Street Journal. Huge difference.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

What pisses me off is inaccurate reporting. The source was 24/7 Wall Street, not the Wall Street Journal. Huge difference.

Here is the thing: Grand Forks GOBC love mentioning these unscientific "best of" reports when they are favorable. Those less favorable are never mentioned of again and considered not true. 

1 hour ago, northernraider said:

Here is the thing: Grand Forks GOBC love mentioning these unscientific "best of" reports when they are favorable. Those less favorable are never mentioned of again and considered not true. 

They’re as reliable as those facebook polls that tell you what kind of pizza you are.

10 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Real order should be:

Fargo>Bismarck>Grand Forks>Minot>Jamestown>Dickinson> Williston> All other cities in ND

small towns are ok for people who stay inside all day....

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, forksandspoons said:

Northern Plains Railroad to open new Grand Plains Rail Center

"Haug predicts that “probably a couple of dozen excellent jobs” will be involved in the Grand Plains Rail Center."

https://www.grandforksherald.com/business/3830666-Northern-Plains-Railroad-to-open-new-Grand-Plains-Rail-Center

Northern Plains RR, which took over an East-west Soo Line and  abandoned BNSF lines, seems to be doing quite well.  Think Canadian Pacific actually owns a lot of it.  It is headquartered in Fordville.

https://www.nprail.com/northern-plains-railroad/

• Upvote 1