SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

It bothers me that are so anti-development that many people are complaining about wrecking the vacant Lyons Auto building and putting up a 6 floor apartment some people actually want to live in.  Their complaints are that there is no parking and that Lyons should become a museum, but didn’t state for what.  Its like downtown GF just supposed to one giant Pioneer Village romantically symbolizing  their childhood but with no people living there and no businesses.  Building over the 4th Str Park with apartments came to a vote, so I shouldn’t be surprised.

It would be better if Northridge didn’t do everything on the cheap.

13 hours ago, Cratter said:

I've been buying Hornbacher sushi every now and then when I'm there. 

The key to grocery store sushi is to microwave it on defrost for a bit to get it slightly warm then it's not half bad.

Publix in the southeast is where the party is at.  

27 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Publix in the southeast is where the party is at.  

Publix may be the greatest premium grocery store.  But it’s only been expanding north for a little more than a decade, as it has Florida roots.  They are expanding further north every year and think it has hit Virginia.  Mobile didn’t have one when I left, now it may be the favorite chain there..

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2018 at 3:55 PM, The Sicatoka said:

Fargo already lost their Sears. 

Kmart is part of Sears. It's not long for the world either. 

Malls everywhere are dying. Heck, walk through West Acres or either mall (Kirkwood or Gateway) in Bismarck. Lots of open slots also. 

I believe Doug Bergum's vision of having a vibrant downtown with specialty shops and combined use (commercial at street, residences above) is the future. Sure, you'll have some big boxes still; but, the world is becoming online based. Malls are suffering for it. And what'll survive are the specialties, the niche stores. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/28/sears-closing-80-more-stores-in-march-faces-possible-liquidation.html

Grand Forks K-Mart on the chopping block for March.   

1 hour ago, Shawn-O said:

I feel like Hope Church or whoever it is that owns the Grand Cities mall has an idea for this space. They seem pretty proactive at that location. 

Unlike the other mall owner

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, streetsahead said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/business/retail/4566666-new-starbucks-open-columbia-road-grand-forks-summer

New Starbucks opening at the old Arby's/Sweeto Burrito/Sickies, etc location.  If anyone can succeed there it's gonna be them.

The "old starbucks" has their new Subway sign up on 13th and washington...gotta be getting close to opening?

11 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So that makes how many Subways in Grand Forks.......12, 13 maybe? #howmanyistoomany

Although I agree that GF has too many Subways (do people even eat at Subways anymore?), this "new Subway" is replacing the Subway on 24th ave S.  So it's not adding an additional store to the market, just relocating.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

Although I agree that GF has too many Subways (do people even eat at Subways anymore?), this "new Subway" is replacing the Subway on 24th ave S.  So it's not adding an additional store to the market, just relocating.

rent got too high at the "Food and Drinks" emporium on 24th and washington...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So that makes how many Subways in Grand Forks.......12, 13 maybe? #howmanyistoomany

Subway overexpanded and now it's starting to correct.  Grand Forks is actually down a couple Subways now (downtown closed and the one in Subway on 32nd Ave closed).  Who would have ever thought the market for bland overpriced subs would cool once tastier options like Erbert Gerbert, Jimmy John's, and Firehouse became more prolific.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MrEdway said:

Taco Johns on Washington closed. Yep, we've got great things going in Grand Forks.

People ask me, "Hey JohnboyND7, what is the biggest adjustment down there in the Panhandle?"  My answer is "Other than sweating my balls off 8 months out of the year, I am stuck with Taco Bell rather than God's chosen...T-Johns."

It's a crime against humanity every time a T-Johns closes.  Meat and Potato burrito ought to be something every American of every race, creed, economic class, etc. is entitled to.  

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

People ask me, "Hey JohnboyND7, what is the biggest adjustment down there in the Panhandle?"  My answer is "Other than sweating my balls off 8 months out of the year, I am stuck with Taco Bell Toxic Hell rather than God's chosen...T-Johns."

It's a crime against humanity every time a T-Johns closes.  Meat and Potato burrito ought to be something every American of every race, creed, economic class, etc. is entitled to.  

FTFY. ;)

2 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Sonic closing already? They always seem to be somewhat steady so I'd be surprised if it was a revenue issue? 

Clearly the article states the new owner is simply selling it and it will be open for a long time.  Apparently, it happens alot.