• Pittsburgh Penguins
    • Minnesota Wild
    • Winnipeg Jets
    • Los Angeles Kings
    • Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Philadelphia Flyers
    • Detroit Red Wings
    • The Rest of The Field

Gopher fans look back on 03/04 with fondness? The memories of that NCAA regional final loss to Duluth must be great. :D

That loss sucked. :) And I didnt mean Parise didnt accomplish anything at UND, that didnt come out right. He was easily one of the best players in the nation those two years. But no recruit that the Gophers have lost in the past stung like Parise choosing UND, none. So watching Parise win an NCAA title for UND would have been too much salt in the open wound and maybe would have been to much to forgive for the average Gopher fan.

That loss sucked. :) And I didnt mean Parise didnt accomplish anything at UND, that didnt come out right. He was easily one of the best players in the nation those two years. But no recruit that the Gophers have lost in the past stung like Parise choosing UND, none. So watching Parise win an NCAA title for UND would have been too much salt in the open wound and maybe would have been to much to forgive for the average Gopher fan.

I think most Gopher fans that are Wild fans will have no problem cheering for a former Sioux and a former Badger!!!

Yep and Im one of em. The more college players on the Wild roster the better as far as Im concerned.

Looking at the Wild roster, there is deffinitely not only a College hockey flavor to it, but specifically WCHA as well!! Here are the WCHA players currently on the Wild roster:

Zach Parise - UND

Chay Genoway - UND

Matt Cullen - SCSU

Jason Zucker - Denver

Dany Heatley - Wisc.

Ryan Suter - Wisc.

Tom Gilbert - Wisc

Nate Prosser - CC

WildCHA!!!

I think the Sioux won the MacNaughton in 2004, lost the Broadmoor to the Gophs in one of the finest college hockey games I've ever seen, and then lost that heartbreaker to DU in the Regional final...most potent offense in the country couldn't buy a goal...

UND, Minnesota, and UMD were all the teams to beat...then DU pulls it off...one and done

Looking at the Wild roster, there is deffinitely not only a College hockey flavor to it, but specifically WCHA as well!! Here are the WCHA players currently on the Wild roster:

Zach Parise - UND

Chay Genoway - UND

Matt Cullen - SCSU

Jason Zucker - Denver

Dany Heatley - Wisc.

Ryan Suter - Wisc.

Tom Gilbert - Wisc

Nate Prosser - CC

WildCHA!!!

Conspicuous in their absence --- where are the Gophers & Bulldogs?

That was a very honest answer. Thank you! (seriously)

Read alll the post-signing coverage in Thursdays Minneapolis StarTribune, lots of columns, lots of pages - found one mention that he attended UND, it was in a timeline of his career. Quite obvious that attending UND was not something the Minnesota sports writers want to acknowledge.

Zach Parise - UND

Chay Genoway - UND

Matt Cullen - SCSU

Jason Zucker - Denver

Dany Heatley - Wisc.

Ryan Suter - Wisc.

Tom Gilbert - Wisc

Nate Prosser - CC

WildCHA!!!

The Minnesota Wild just a few short years ago under Doug Risebrough, didn't have many college hockey players now have a good mix on their roster, add to the Badgers and ex-Sioux players that I have already mentioned, you have Jason Zucker Denver University, Nate Prosser and Chad Rau Colorado College, Stephen Kampfer Michigan, Jarold Palmer Miami University (Ohio), Torrey Mitchell Vermont, and Matt Cullen Saint Cloud State University.

Edited by Goon

Read alll the post-signing coverage in Thursdays Minneapolis StarTribune, lots of columns, lots of pages - found one mention that he attended UND, it was in a timeline of his career. Quite obvious that attending UND was not something the Minnesota sports writers want to acknowledge.

Some goofball Strib columnist made a comment about Suter and Parise making the "unfortunate choice" to attend Wisco and UND. Yeah, Parise following Brooks' advice must still burn the POI crowd to no end. ;)

Forgive my ignorance, but how is Zach Parise's name pronounced? I always thought it was Pa ree z, but the sports guy in MSP last night said Pa reese and I didn't know which one was correct.

In a recent interview Zach said he prefers to pronounce it as "PAH-REE-ZEE," while his father prefers the French Canadian pronunciation (pah-ree-zay).

In a recent interview Zach said he prefers to pronounce it as "PAH-REE-ZEE," while his father prefers the French Canadian pronunciation (pah-ree-zay).

Thanks, that's what I thought but the sports guy had me doubting myself.

JP was on with Barriero, or PA, a couple weeks ago and pronounced it as Zach prefers, as in "winning is easy, with Parise". The ending with "zay" comes from Gorg and/or LaPanta.

do you have any details or background on him supposedly following brooks advice on going to UND? i have always been curious what made parise not choose the U of M. thanks

IIRC it was pretty common knowledge in college hockey circles after Zach signed his LOI and came to campus. I believe I also read a reference to it in "Remembering Herbie".

The Minnesota Wild just a few short years ago under Doug Risebrough, didn't have many college hockey players now have a good mix on their roster, add to the Badgers and ex-Sioux players that I have already mentioned, you have Jason Zucker Denver University, Nate Prosser and Chad Rau Colorado College, Stephen Kampfer Michigan, Jarold Palmer Miami University (Ohio), Torrey Mitchell Vermont, and Matt Cullen Saint Cloud State University.

Could add Charlie Coyle to that list too he was at BU before bolting mid season last year.

I think you can blame Herb Brooks for that one to some degree.

I heard that his decision not to attend UM was in part related to their coaching staff. Heard it from a long time diehard Gofer fan to boot...

I am going to leave him off my list because he decided to bolt his team mid stream.

From what I heard Coyle had terrible grades and couldn't hack it in the classroom. Supposedly he would have been academically ineligible had he stayed. Probably a good thing he left....some kids simply aren't made for college. It still hurt BU a ton though.

It never ceases to amaze me how gopher fans wanted Parise so bad and have such an affection for Lou Nanne, and still profess an unbelievable hatred for Canadians. Guess what, Nanne and J.P. Parise were Canadians! Maybe somebody should tell Wally Shaver that as well.