• Pittsburgh Penguins
    • Minnesota Wild
    • Winnipeg Jets
    • Los Angeles Kings
    • Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Philadelphia Flyers
    • Detroit Red Wings
    • The Rest of The Field

It never ceases to amaze me how gopher fans wanted Parise so bad and have such an affection for Lou Nanne, and still profess an unbelievable hatred for Canadians. Guess what, Nanne and J.P. Parise were Canadians! Maybe somebody should tell Wally Shaver that as well.

Slightly out of left field....pretty sure he was talking about Zach....not Lou or JP. Sorry to stick up for the Goofs but I have heard many Sioux fans complain when Potulny and Irmen went to the Goofs (I was one of them :)).

Slightly out of left field....pretty sure he was talking about Zach....not Lou or JP. Sorry to stick up for the Goofs but I have heard many Sioux fans complain when Potulny and Irmen went to the Goofs (I was one of them :)).

I think it's a little different. North Dakota fans don't really care where the good hockey players come from. Meanwhile, a large percentage of Gopher fans consistently make comments about UND having "overaged Canadians". I think his point is that not every person associated with the Gophers hockey program or supporting Gophers hockey is Minnesotan, so perhaps they might want to tone it down a bit. It's all rather hypocritical anyways since a majority of their best basketball and football players come from out of state, and most of the Gopher hockey fans are also Gopher football and basketball fans. I don't hear them griping about that. If a Gophers football team consisting of mostly out of state players happened to beat out a Buckeyes team consisting of mostly Ohio high school football players for the Rose Bowl some year, I doubt too many of those same fans would complain too much.

Awesome get for the Wild! So excited. As for the former Sioux/Badger thing, once players reach the NHL that stuff doesn't bother me at all, it's all in the past and means nothing once they reach the NHL, IMO. I support pretty much any former college player in the NHL, unless they're Canadian. 'Merica or nothin'!

The Wild signing two elite Americans on the 4th of July just makes this even better!

Guess this is the quote I should have referenced, so actually with this quote, it really isn't an out of left field comment. Just saying the beloved Lou Nanne is Canadian.

Guess this is the quote I should have referenced, so actually with this quote, it really isn't an out of left field comment. Just saying the beloved Lou Nanne is Canadian.

He's from Canada but he's an American citizen and was the captain of the 1968 US Olympic hockey team.

. Meanwhile, a large percentage of Gopher fans consistently make comments about UND having "overaged Canadians".

I always thought that one was funny especially when UND has had a younger team that the Goofs on a few occasions.

He's from Canada but he's an American citizen and was the captain of the 1968 US Olympic hockey team.

So, Hakstol and Eades are American Citizens, yet gopher fans still rail on the Canadian thing. Just sayin'! Oh, and by the way, when Nanne played with the gophers, he was Canadian.

Shouldn't the goal for any college team to get the best recruits to come and play for your program? No matter what country they are from? Who cares that UND has a lot of Canadians. Last time I checked, hockey was a pretty big thing up there. Seems to me that Team Canada has been pretty succesfull at all levels of international play. Ripping on UND for recruiting Canadians? Really?

I think it's a little different. North Dakota fans don't really care where the good hockey players come from. Meanwhile, a large percentage of Gopher fans consistently make comments about UND having "overaged Canadians". I think his point is that not every person associated with the Gophers hockey program or supporting Gophers hockey is Minnesotan, so perhaps they might want to tone it down a bit. It's all rather hypocritical anyways since a majority of their best basketball and football players come from out of state, and most of the Gopher hockey fans are also Gopher football and basketball fans. I don't hear them griping about that. If a Gophers football team consisting of mostly out of state players happened to beat out a Buckeyes team consisting of mostly Ohio high school football players for the Rose Bowl some year, I doubt too many of those same fans would complain too much.

Yes, Gopher fans do say that....a lot! But that Mariucci guy didn't saying anything like that....that's all I was trying to say. You are correct, I could care less where the kids come from as long as they are good. I did here an interesting stat though, if you go by a city level there are more Grand Forks kids that have played for the Sioux (in the last 15 years) than any other one city. I thought that was pretty cool.

Is Hak an American Citizen? Isn't he from Alberta?

Coach Hakstol's country of birth is Canada. I would imagine that since Hak is married to an American Citizen that he is probably either a Landed Permanent Resident or a USC by now.

Coach Hakstol's country of birth is Canada. I would imagine that since Hak is married to an American Citizen that he is probably either a Landed Permanent Resident or a USC by now.

I thought I read that Hakstol became an American citizen and now has a US passport.

I thought I read that Hakstol became an American citizen and now has a US passport.

Then my comment was correct: USC means United States Citizen.

Edited by Goon

My opinion is that if you can stock your roster with players that are native to your state and have a quality team, go for it. Being that the state of Minnesota produces far more D1 players than any other state (perhaps more than all other states combined?), it is reasonable for the Gophers to have mostly Minnesota natives on their roster. If North Dakota had the same kind of talent pool that Minnesota has, I would have expected the Sioux to have recruited mostly ND natives over the years. But because we just don't have very many D1 prospects in our state, I always understood and had no problem with the majority of Sioux players coming from Canada and Minnesota (among other various places).

Yeah, Minnesota would love it if we only recruited ND players. What, Minnesota has 20 times the population? Besides that, Winnipeg is much closer to GF than the cities. Why wouldn't UND draw players from there, (and Manitoba and other provinces).

• 2 weeks later...