SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

9 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Lacrosse is not greater than baseball but it would be a more natural fit for a northern school than baseball because I'm pretty sure you can still play in crap weather.

Lacrosse is easily played on a football field, like the domes and indoor facilities UND, USD, and NDSU have. 

Lax: 110 x 60 yards
FB: 120 x 53.3 yards

The topic has come up around here before. ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Boise State's big announcement:

https://twitter.com/BroncoSports/sta...58292562571264

They put together a facilities upgrades master plan! What a concept! 

The words "new" and "conference" are not in that link.

I posted this announcement in the other thread, in response to your post about the "quiet phase", before I saw that you posted this here.  Your post in this thread and your post about the quiet phase in the other thread seem to be contradictory.  UND does have an athletics master plan, but it seems to be in a perpetual quiet phase, unlike Boise, which has some of the best athletics marketing in the country.

9 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

https://www.donorsearch.net/capital-campaigns-guide/#:~:text=Typically%2C there are two overarching,a larger population of donors. 

Might they not quite be ready for the public phase quite yet ... 

Hint: This forum is not the target of the quiet phase. ;) 

8 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

is if weird that ndac just assumes the call will go to fargo when the mwc needs one more school....like they wouldn't ever call montana, msu, idaho, cal davis or any southern schools taht doesn't get snow?

If Boise had gotten an invite to wherever ... I can name at least three schools closer or in the MWC footprint that could do it.

300px-MWCLocations2.png

9 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

is if weird that ndac just assumes the call will go to fargo when the mwc needs one more school....like they wouldn't ever call montana, msu, idaho, cal davis or any southern schools taht doesn't get snow?

None of them have indicated they want to move up.  The Bison are ready, if they call we're gone.

20 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

None of them have indicated they want to move up.  The Bison are ready, if they call we're gone.

Montana and Montana State would jump at an invite.

Cal-Davis would jump also. 

Weber State has BB history and has made FB stadium improvements for some reason. 

52 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

The MVC schools wanted Murray BB and I'm sure they gave "assurances" to Murray they'd have a FB home too if they left the OVC. Disparaging Murray like NDSU recently did disparages the MVC. Is that "ready"? 

Bresciani publicly saying he voted against Murray State is sticking a finger in the eye of the MVC portion of the MVFC and wasn't a great move if you're looking for a call from anyone.

All of college athletics notices moves like that. It was imprudent, just as imprudent as Roger Thomas' infamous "won't play NDSU" press conference. UND paid for it for probably a decade because everyone noticed. How few understand the simple philosophy of "praise in public, punish in private". 

Did Bresciani do it to show his base that he's doing "something"? But what can Bresciani do? He's lame duck. And you can say you're "ready" all day, but it takes an invite. And, part of ready is behavior, and frankly, that may be Bresciani's (NDSU's?) "Roger Thomas" moment in the eyes of conference administrators. 

Bresciani could have said the same thing the way UND's Armacost did, " ... I'm respecting the private ballot ..." or even a simple no "comment". Saying what Armacost did when MoSt and WIU are saying they voted yes is a strong tell on Armacost's thoughts, and vote. Nothing stopped Bresciani from using the same "tell". 

Armacost in a tough situation said something positive "I respect the private vote", and not something negative. He tipped his hand and yet stayed positive. 

Again, "praise in public, punish in private". And that behavior is part of ready. 

1 hour ago, Bison Dan said:

NDSU and about 7-10 other schools that are actually in states that appear on the map of the current conference.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

All of college athletics notices moves like that. It was imprudent, just as imprudent as Roger Thomas' infamous "won't play NDSU" press conference. UND paid for it for probably a decade because everyone noticed. How few understand the simple philosophy of "praise in public, punish in private". 

Eh, that press conference continues to reach new levels of infamy.
Pretty sure it was the annual schedule release press conference for multiple teams and it was unknown if NDSU was going to be on it.
It was not a press conference held specifically to state UND was not playing NDSU.

I won't pretend that RT didn't get some enjoyment out of that part of that and hindsight, the news probably should have been leaked prior to it, but what it actually was and what it has become over the years are two different things.

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Eh, that press conference continues to reach new levels of infamy.
Pretty sure it was the annual schedule release press conference for multiple teams and it was unknown if NDSU was going to be on it.
It was not a press conference held specifically to state UND was not playing NDSU.

I won't pretend that RT didn't get some enjoyment out of the part of that and hindsight, the news probably should have been leaked prior to it, but what it actually was and what it has become over the years are two different things.

Very similar to Bison fans "remembering" how all UND fans said they were going to fail at D1 and aren't good enough for that level.  Sure there were some uninformed fans that lumped NDSU in with Duke, UNC, Forida State etc because of the D1 label - not knowing that they were really going to be playing in the GWFC and Summit League. Of course they would be fine playing vs D1-AA teams in FB.  That took on a life of it's own as well.  

21 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I won't pretend that RT didn't get some enjoyment out of that part of that and hindsight, the news probably should have been leaked prior to it, 

RT's "should have dones" in there are why I say imprudent. 

8 hours ago, farce poobah said:

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/reports/teamHistory/Minnesota-State/35

Take a look at Mankato's record through 2012, when these deliberations went on, pre-Hastings, and tell me you would pick them.

Who cares what they were like 10 years ago? They obviously have grown a lot since then.

9 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Who cares what they were like 10 years ago? They obviously have grown a lot since then.

I was responding to a comment about why St Cloud State was invited to NCHC instead of Mankato.  Those invitations were 10 years ago.

Since then, yeah they have grown the program a lot. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, farce poobah said:

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/reports/teamHistory/Minnesota-State/35

Take a look at Mankato's record through 2012, when these deliberations went on, pre-Hastings, and tell me you would pick them.

i was more meaning the city and school acted towards other members of the the old wcha...the anti-sioux nickname stance by their racist president siago(sp?), the  way they treated fans walking into therir crappy arena, and i think al pearson got arrested by being baited into hugging a libtard down there one time iirc....

mankato > everything about scsu

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i was more meaning the city and school acted towards other members of the the old wcha...the anti-sioux nickname stance by their racist president siago(sp?), the  way they treated fans walking into therir crappy arena, and i think al pearson got arrested by being baited into hugging a libtard down there one time iirc....

mankato > everything about scsu

Absolutely agree..  you can kick SCSU to curb at any time.  I will never forget how we were treated at SCSU.  I will never set foot on that campus again.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 1:28 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

still not sure how jan brady made it over mankato

Because st. Cloud had a measure of success in the WCHA that Mankato never had. Mankato has dominated the (W)CCHA, but it's delusional to think the same would have occurred in the NCHC. 

On 4/8/2022 at 8:23 AM, The Sicatoka said:

Bresciani publicly saying he voted against Murray State is sticking a finger in the eye of the MVC portion of the MVFC and wasn't a great move if you're looking for a call from anyone.

All of college athletics notices moves like that. It was imprudent, ...

Like I said, folks notice ... 

https://www.tribstar.com/sports/local_college_sports/isu_sports/todd-aaron-golden-would-it-have-killed-ndsu-to-do-the-mvc-schools-a-solid/article_37f6c977-de27-5068-950c-9313fc639c3d.html 

Whether every school is on-board with the decision to add a school or not, conferences want to project a unified front. No waves shall be made. Everyone is supposed to have a smile on their face and be welcoming on the day a new conference member is officially unveiled to the public.

So it was a pretty unusual breach of etiquette on April 4 when North Dakota State went public with the fact that it voted against Murray State's admission to the Missouri Valley Football Conference ... on the same day the MVFC was announcing Murray State's admission as the league's 12th school.

South Dakota was in Murray State's shoes long before the Racers were the debate of the moment.

Now, I know for a fact that ISU wasn't at all pleased at the time to add another flight to the MVFC calendar and they weren't alone. ... 

Yet? Apart from complaints about travel costs, no one among the permanent MVC schools (that I'm aware of) complained about adding Dakota schools, certainly not on the day the announcement was made. ... 

So it's a bit irritating when that favor wasn't returned to the MVC schools by NDSU — schools, I might add, that started this conference long before any of the Dakota schools ever aspired to Division I status. ... 

NDSU is one of us. And as one of us? The MVC schools scratched your backs twice with membership additions that did little for them, but quite a bit for the Dakota-based members.

Would it have killed you to scratch ours?

The other thing of note in the article: It took 8 of 11 votes for Murray to get in. Clearly the MVC folks (5), plus WIU has said they voted yes. I'd think YSU would vote with the MVC; there's seven. So at least one of the Dakota 4 voted yes. It wasn't NDSU; UND gave a "no comment" (a tell to me of a no*, but I could be wrong). The SD schools have always been BB-first minded. It would not surprise me to find they both voted with the MVC (BB) contingent. Any insights @Yote 53 ?

* GF to Murray, KY (1100 miles) is the same as GF to Cheney WA (EWU, 1100 miles). UND just left the BSC to get rid of 1100 trips.