SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

28 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

it the summit breaks with mvfc...the 4 dakotah's arent enough for football...who else would they get?

D2 hockey NCHC schools, UMD and Mankato 

St Thomas

Give Western Illinois a choice whether to bring all sports to the Summit or hang their hat on a long shot MVC bid.

Northern Colorado might be an option

38 minutes ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

UNI and UST? Summit hockey makes no sense to me. 

see my above post about uni and st thomas....that would be six...is that enough tho?

and uni would have to add hockey AND get a NCHC (summit ) invite and that would difficult in a lot of ways but hockey is very very popular in iowa

33 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

see my above post about uni and st thomas....that would be six...is that enough tho?

and uni would have to add hockey AND get a NCHC (summit ) invite and that would difficult in a lot of ways but hockey is very very popular in iowa

Pretty sure basketball drives the bus at UNI.  They aren’t leaving the MVC thus won’t be going to the Summit League, unless it’s football only. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Daily reminder --

An optimal size for a conference is nine that play FB and three more that do not, for twelve total. That makes 8 FB games (plus 3 non-conf) and 22 BB games (and 5-7 non-conf) per season. 

give us your 9+3

i've said it before and people laugh...there is a chance that the big10 goes after every damn football playing aau level school anywhere and everywhere in america...usc, georgia tech, texas, arizona, washington, oregon..............................

22 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Summit hockey could essentially be the current NCHC with non Summit schools as affiliates, no? 

Yes. Leave hockey alone.

Bring back UND baseball (if Fargo can field a team in the spring, why can’t GF?). Help stabilize Summit baseball as a conference team sport. 

Yeah,I understand it was a Title IX trade-off for women’s hockey so it will not happen.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Yes. Leave hockey alone.

Bring back UND baseball (if Fargo can field a team in the spring, why can’t GF?). Help stabilize Summit baseball as a conference team sport. 

Yeah,I understand it was a Title IX trade-off for women’s hockey so it will not happen.

Add Mens soccer*

*Won't happen, but they should (or one of the Dakota schools) should explore it.  

Today in Vermillion it is 44* with rain and wind.  This spring has sucked for nice weather so far which is normal for this time of year.  Over the weekend Oklahoma and Texas were playing a college baseball game on ESPN I watched.  They've each already played between 25-30 games this season.  The Twins have already announced they are postponing Opening Day due to rain/snow.

Why would any of us northern schools field a baseball program?  I realize they do in Fargo and Brooking but I have to seriously ask why.

Soccer can be played in the dead of winter if needed, we saw that in St. Paul with the USMNT this winter.  Soccer makes sense.  Hockey definitely makes sense for northern schools.  Baseball just doesn't make sense, unless they move the season to start April 1 and play the CWS in the beginning of August.

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Today in Vermillion it is 44* with rain and wind.  This spring has sucked for nice weather so far which is normal for this time of year.  Over the weekend Oklahoma and Texas were playing a college baseball game on ESPN I watched.  They've each already played between 25-30 games this season.  The Twins have already announced they are postponing Opening Day due to rain/snow.

Why would any of us northern schools field a baseball program?  I realize they do in Fargo and Brooking but I have to seriously ask why.

Soccer can be played in the dead of winter if needed, we saw that in St. Paul with the USMNT this winter.  Soccer makes sense.  Hockey definitely makes sense for northern schools.  Baseball just doesn't make sense, unless they move the season to start April 1 and play the CWS in the beginning of August.

lacrosse>baseball

18 hours ago, zonadub said:

Yes. Leave hockey alone.

I believe the baseball decision was also monetary.  I think they baseball budget for their last year was over $600k - going off distant memory.  That seems really high based on what they had available to them so it must have been a lot of travel costs.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

This has been out on YouTube since November 2021. The tweet in question is cut from it.
I suspect they've hit some milestone related to the initiatives.

They retweeted that video yesterday and said "TOMORROW".  So announcement coming today. 

I am sure all of Bison Nation is salivating a potential Boise vacancy opens the door for them!!