SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

No idea.  Haven't really asked much around here because at this point it really doesn't matter, besides, everything down here is talking about spring football and talking about new MBB and WBB coaches.  We're kind of focused on our own house, which is probably the way it should be.

As for the article, I'm actually sick of the MVC schools being whiny b!tches about this 'no' vote.  Murray State is not a good football school so it is perfectly legitimate that some schools would have an issue adding them to a FOOTBALL ONLY conference.  And the whole, we scratched your back thing.  If the MVFC did not admit USD we were off to the Big Sky with UND, offers in hand.  NDSU and SDSU would have been following right behind us as the Summit would have collapsed at that point.  WIU would have moved to the OVC with a Summit collapse.  The MVFC would have been left with 6 schools.  The MVFC (MVC schools) voted to bring in USD (and eventually UND) out of self-preservation.  They needed us to survive and thrive, whether they want to admit that or not.  None of us needed Murray State and bringing them in doesn't exactly up the bar for the conference.  So it's not exactly the same, scratch our backs and we'll scratch yours, thing.

8 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

None of us needed Murray State and bringing them in doesn't exactly up the bar for the conference.  So it's not exactly the same, scratch our backs and we'll scratch yours, thing.

None of the Dakotas needed Murray. The MVC wing of the MVFC needed Murray. 

Another case the author could've made is the MVC/MVFC could've let NDSU and SDSU swing in the wind. They did a solid for the 'SUs and expected similar in return. 

They didn't "need" Murray.  Murray could have taken their football program elsewhere, including non-scholarship and to the Pioneer League or as an affiliate to another football conference as several conferences are looking for members.

The SU example is a better example because they were twisting in the wind in the Great West. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

They didn't "need" Murray. 

Allow me to clarify: the MVC needed Murray. 
I'd be surprised if football assurances were not given when Murray jumped OVC --> MVC. 

The Dakotas are in a FB conference dominated by BB mindset. 

38 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Allow me to clarify: the MVC needed Murray. 
I'd be surprised if football assurances were not given when Murray jumped OVC --> MVC. 

The Dakotas are in a FB conference dominated by BB mindset. 

It makes sense that they would want all sports to align, but ya gotta think that they would have moved to the MVC as long as they found a conference home for football somewhere.  They had been wanting to move the MVC for years, and the vibe I got from Murray fans was that they probably would have revolted if they finally got an MVC offer, only to turn it down because of football.  Would love to know if Murray had any conversations with the OVC about keeping football there.  Either way, Murray does seem to have a fan base that actually cares, which is somewhat hard to come by in the FCS, and I think they have potential.  My biggest gripe is that the conference is just so large.  Also, given our geography, it's pretty unlikely adding Murray increases our travel budget by much, as we fly to every school that isn't in the Dakotas anyway (UNI too maybe?).  UND also doesn't owe the MVC schools anything, as they screwed us over when we were set to join the Big Sky with USD, which likely set the program back a few years.  Also, screw Dom Izzo and how he put's words in UND's mouth, as he guesses how UND voted and makes up bs "reasons" for why we voted the way he thinks we did (based on literally zero facts, saying UND wanted easier competition, etc). 

It will be interesting to see how the NCAA reformats the overall D1 structure in the coming months - this whole thing could potentially become moot if the new rules make sport conferences less desirable, or if they cause further conference realignment for a variety of potential reasons.

The other thing that seems odd to me is that we really have no clear definition on scheduling.  Is the Dakota 4 still protected?  Just a statement that everyone will play one another within a 4-year window.

Note:  M. Brown picked up on the NDSU statement and I am sure he is asking around.  So, he could be a source for additional information in the near future.  And he noted that Sun Belt is still talking to Missouri State.  So, you could still see more change prior to July 1. 

The MVFC after Murray comes aboard (12):

MVC (6): UNI, Ill St, S Ill, Ind St, Mo St, Mur St 
Horizon (1): YSU
Summit (5): UND, NDSU, SDSU, USD, WIU 

Being the eastern island, YSU is going to side with the MVC contingent more often than not. If those 7 (as @nodakvindysays) decided to pull a "WCHA" and recreate the Gateway FB Conference without the Dakota 4 there's not a lot that could be done. And I really wonder which way WIU would swing. The OVC is bleeding teams; would WIU go that direction. 

12 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

That's why summit football needs to happen

There's a huge number of moving parts to get there. 

Of today's Summit 10, only six offer football, and one of those is St Thomas who is transitioning to DI and playing Pioneer League right now. They're a ways away from dealing with the other five. 

We can't rely on WIU for Summit Football.  Like was said previously, they may just be OVC bound anyway. 

I don't think we should worry about it.  The MVC has shown no ambition when it comes to football.  In fact, the MVC was an FBS conference and voluntarily stepped back in the 80's and Wichita State even shuttered their program.  Those schools care about basketball and fielding a just solid FCS football program.  They are fortunate to have the recruiting areas of the Midwest that has a lot of football talent that can play at the FCS level.  So they come by the talent simply based on location.  The MVC schools are happy with the MVFC arrangement, and it just happens to be the best FCS conference in the country.  It will be fine.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Of today's Summit 10, only six offer football, and one of those is St Thomas who is transitioning to DI and playing Pioneer League right now. They're a ways away from dealing with the other five. 

I think they’d be alright. Probably more competitive than Murray St. 

13 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

According to NCAA rules you cannot take multiple FCS school to make a conference to join FBS.  Only conferences who were or are can take in teams to move to FBS.