SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

• 3 weeks later...

sounds like c-usa offered ndac "partial" membership...probably meaning football only...sounds like ndac ad denies this or something...also sounds like this offer was exteded to around 10 fcs and assuming all said no..

ndac is all in on that mwc conference invite if and when boise and sdsu go to the big 12....

• 2 weeks later...

UST tried to buy nearby golf course, for hockey arena and athletic fields, but offer was declined.  61 million offer..  UST still searching for land.  

https://kstp.com/kstp-news/top-news/st-thomas-eyes-historic-golf-course-for-new-hockey-arena/

Interesting quote by St. Thomas's AD: “Right now we’re focusing on hockey and baseball and softball and those three facilities are contemplated to be the first of those facilities we would need to build,” University of St. Thomas Director of Athletics Phil Esten told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS. There would also be room for other facilities, but those three are the immediate priority. Football and basketball will stay in their current locations on campus for now, but the university has to take a long-term view as well."

38 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

UST tried to buy nearby golf course, for hockey arena and athletic fields, but offer was declined.  61 million offer..  UST still searching for land.  

https://kstp.com/kstp-news/top-news/st-thomas-eyes-historic-golf-course-for-new-hockey-arena/

Interesting quote by St. Thomas's AD: “Right now we’re focusing on hockey and baseball and softball and those three facilities are contemplated to be the first of those facilities we would need to build,” University of St. Thomas Director of Athletics Phil Esten told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS. There would also be room for other facilities, but those three are the immediate priority. Football and basketball will stay in their current locations on campus for now, but the university has to take a long-term view as well."

They're landlocked. It's that or buy up an adjoining neighborhood. And I'm sure the board of the golf course knows it. I read somewhere the buyout offer at $61M is about $150k per course shareholder. 

The offer was about $640k per acre. :blink:

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Can't grab the tweet on here, but it sounding like the process for D2s wanting to move up is about to become more difficult. 

Well that’s not good for the FCS, the FBS poaches our best players and we are not allowed to take from the division below? Not liking that scenario….

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Well that’s not good for the FCS, the FBS poaches our best players and we are not allowed to take from the division below? Not liking that scenario….

I think he is talking about schools versus individual athlete transfers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

If D2 programs want to make the transition to D1, making that process more difficult. 

Didn't mention anything about players

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

If D2 programs want to make the transition to D1, making that process more difficult. 

Didn't mention anything about players

st thomas is happy they got kicked out when they did.......

any news on fenton locking them (and their hockey team) up...

i would say it's more important to to add st thomas hockey tothe nchc than arizona state....or just add st thomas, bemidji, mankato, and asu and to go 10 (kicking out western and miaim)

five west and five east

asu

cc

denver

omaha

und 

duluth

st cloud

st thomas

mankato

bemidji

ncha tourney alternates between denver and st paul (and phoenix)?

On 3/12/2022 at 2:28 PM, The Sicatoka said:

If you’re worried about the A-10 moving away from the Atlantic, can you show me any summit (mountain peak) in the Summit League? 

Hey now.  I think I see a bit of a hill over on the right.

1.jpg

On 3/12/2022 at 5:48 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

st thomas is happy they got kicked out when they did.......

any news on fenton locking them (and their hockey team) up...

i would say it's more important to to add st thomas hockey tothe nchc than arizona state....or just add st thomas, bemidji, mankato, and asu and to go 10 (kicking out western and miaim)

five west and five east

asu

cc

denver

omaha

und 

duluth

st cloud

st thomas

mankato

bemidji

ncha tourney alternates between denver and st paul (and phoenix)?

The NCHC tourney makes too much money to move and rotating the tournament takes away any chance there is of building the Frozen Faceoff up to emulate the Final Five, especially if MN schools are added.

I don't see much benefit in adding ASU, to be honest.  

If it's not broke don't fix it.  

Would losing Miami and WMU cause us to lose our CBSSN games as well?

If anything, adding St. Thomas and Either Mankato or BG is the only thing that makes sense, but not until St. Thomas has a better arena situation and not now, IMO.  I would hate to strand Bemidji alone in the CCHA if Mankato joined with Bemidji.  Pros of Mankato and Bemidji joining is that the Frozen Faceoff would have more local interest, but again, if it's not broke, don't fix it.  Having MN schools in a seperate conference also allows these teams to schedule cheaper non conf games (less travel).

if we add bsu st thomas and mankato for sure keep it in St. Paul...that's a nobrainer

but if we don't and we add asu and st thomas....why not rotate it.....plus if you had that thursday play in game and the tourney was in phoenix you could fly in on thursday and if you get there quick enough have games thursday, friday, sat and fly back sunday....95 degrees!!!!!!!

the denver would be a "one time show me money" or else it never goes back....

No desire to add anyone to NCHC other than ASU.  He N in the league name means something. 

As for the tourney I could see doing something like the ACC basketball tournament being primarily in Greensboro but sprinkling in other locations. Maybe go 3 out of 4 years at the X, using the off year to try Denver, KC, Phoenix and even Vegas. 

2 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

No desire to add anyone to NCHC other than ASU.  He N in the league name means something. 

As for the tourney I could see doing something like the ACC basketball tournament being primarily in Greensboro but sprinkling in other locations. Maybe go 3 out of 4 years at the X, using the off year to try Denver, KC, Phoenix and even Vegas. 

Give up WMU and Miami.

Add St.Thomas and ASU.

A great league gets even better.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Give up WMU and Miami.

Add St.Thomas and ASU.

A great league gets even better.

No thanks on St Thomas. Enough Minnesota presence and they havent proven anything yet. Don't know why people want to dump Western.  Great college hockey environment 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

No thanks on St Thomas. Enough Minnesota presence and they havent proven anything yet. Don't know why people want to dump Western.  Great college hockey environment 

St. Thomas has tremendous upside. They have the resources to build a great Division I athletic department across the board. I would take them over Miami every day and twice on Sundays.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

you would be a horrible commish of a hockey league....st thomas has everything going for them....just give em time.  asu has the arena now....so for those that said fix your arena problem then you'll get the invite.......so when is the invite?

• Upvote 1