SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

10 minutes ago, FSSD said:

And you can see that KC budget is more in line with MVC than TSL.  NOTE:  Mills have a new contract - I can't find an updated value and STU has D-III numbers.  But, I am sure that has changed a great deal.  But, I would like to see everyone push toward the $2.5 million area.  USD, Omaha and WIU have some work to do.

Budget (mil) School Coach Pay Coach
2.53 Denver $180,000 - $200,000 Wulbrun
2.25 Kansas City $350,000 Donlon
2.18 SDSU $275,000 Hendo
2.09 ORU $199,082* Mills
1.94 UND $180,000 Sather
1.72 NDSU $230,000 Richman
1.47 USD $265,000 Lee
1.26 Omaha $180,353 Hansen
1.19 WIU $132,500 Wright
$257,302 STU   Tauer

I think one needs to dig deeper into the accounting of these budgets.  USD has built a brand new arena as well as facilities upgrades for strength & conditioning and sports performance and Lee is in the top half in pay for coaches in the conference.  I'd really want to see what all goes into the basketball budgets of these schools.  Are schools including facilities? Because my guess is USD's facilities costs are covered outside the basketball budget yet we play in a brand new arena, one of the best in the conference.

Point is the numbers can be deceiving as USD puts plenty of resources towards basketball.  

46 minutes ago, FSSD said:

And you can see that KC budget is more in line with MVC than TSL.  NOTE:  Mills have a new contract - I can't find an updated value and STU has D-III numbers.  But, I am sure that has changed a great deal.  But, I would like to see everyone push toward the $2.5 million area.  USD, Omaha and WIU have some work to do.

Budget (mil) School Coach Pay Coach
2.53 Denver $180,000 - $200,000 Wulbrun
2.25 Kansas City $350,000 Donlon
2.18 SDSU $275,000 Hendo
2.09 ORU $199,082* Mills
1.94 UND $180,000 Sather
1.72 NDSU $230,000 Richman
1.47 USD $265,000 Lee
1.26 Omaha $180,353 Hansen
1.19 WIU $132,500 Wright
$257,302 STU   Tauer

We have lowest pay but middle for budget 

how’s that work I wonder

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

We have lowest pay but middle for budget 

how’s that work I wonder

I wonder if those numbers included the $700,000 annual debt payment for the Betty.  I assume that is was spread across VB, M/W BB.  But, it is just a guess.

NOTE:  The Betty is now paid for and I believe that scholarship dollars are being freed up from the sports cut back in 2017/2018.  So, sometime around 2023 all of those obligations would be completed.

2 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

I think one needs to dig deeper into the accounting of these budgets.  USD has built a brand new arena as well as facilities upgrades for strength & conditioning and sports performance and Lee is in the top half in pay for coaches in the conference.  I'd really want to see what all goes into the basketball budgets of these schools.  Are schools including facilities? Because my guess is USD's facilities costs are covered outside the basketball budget yet we play in a brand new arena, one of the best in the conference.

Point is the numbers can be deceiving as USD puts plenty of resources towards basketball.  

I agree, I think USD has done a great job with facilities and campus improvements.  I thought Pres. Abbott really did a nice job of laying the ground work for the University and much of what has recently been completed.  Plus, I really like were the SL is right now.  They are in the following media markets:  MSP, KC, Denver, Tulsa and Omaha.  That is an ideal footprint for the conference.  But, I think the SL has some work to do to keep those schools.  I would like them to be peers with the Horizon, WAC, and MAC.

In general, I think the facilities in the conference are smaller but very nice with a handful of schools needing work:

USD, NDSU, SDSU (updates started), Omaha, Denver, Tulsa (maybe some freshening up).  All very nice

UND could use some work to take it up a notch.

WIU, KC, St. Thomas - major work

So, the next step is getting budgets in place to compete for coaches, assistants, recruiting and other expenses.

Oral Roberts broke ground a couple of days ago on a new athletic center and basketball practice facilities.

"The Mike Carter Athletic Center is estimated to cost more than $15 million and will be built debt free.  The building will be located on the southeast side of the Mabee Center and construction will take approximately 18 months to complete. The facility will house a 10,000-square-foot sports performance area with turf and a fueling station allowing multiple teams to train at the same time. A new Eli Academic Center will have open study space as well as individual and group study rooms and a team room large enough for 100 people. In addition, two, full size practice courts are being built for the men's and women's basketball teams along with administrative and coaches offices."

image.thumb.png.173606912c4b35e1b41102bba173abd6.png

45 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Oral Roberts broke ground a couple of days ago on a new athletic center and basketball practice facilities.

"The Mike Carter Athletic Center is estimated to cost more than $15 million and will be built debt free.  The building will be located on the southeast side of the Mabee Center and construction will take approximately 18 months to complete. The facility will house a 10,000-square-foot sports performance area with turf and a fueling station allowing multiple teams to train at the same time. A new Eli Academic Center will have open study space as well as individual and group study rooms and a team room large enough for 100 people. In addition, two, full size practice courts are being built for the men's and women's basketball teams along with administrative and coaches offices."

image.thumb.png.173606912c4b35e1b41102bba173abd6.png

I thought that the MVC was looking at ORU and UT-Arlington for expansion (M. Brown last spring).  But, it sounds like it is Murray St, UT-A and UM-KC.  I hope it is Murray St.  I am kind of a surprised by Murray St and MVC because the rumor was that things got personal during the last expansion go around.

• 1 month later...

MVC has invited Murray St.  Unknown at this point if that include MVFC - rumor is that it is a NO at this point for MVFC and they may park football in the OVC or ASUN for a short period of time.  With the Murray St. invite it appears that UT-Arlington is heading to the WAC?  And UI-Chicago could be announced by the end of the month according to sources.

23 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Not a surprise at all of course.

UND is literally the only school ever to actually WANT to join the Summit League, and only because that is where NDSU landed.

The reality is that the Summit League is a conference of convenience for the non-Dakota schools. While non-Dakota schools and fans complain about the Dakota-centric focus of the Summit League, the reality is that these are the only stable schools in the conference. Many fans from the Summit League’s newest member, St. Thomas, see the Summit League as a temporary landing spot before seeking greener pastures.

• Upvote 1

Murray St officially joining the MVC and in talks with the MVFC for football membership.........

Murray State University Joins The Missouri Valley Conference

...........Murray State has proactively pursued – in a collective and parallel track – league membership for football and rifle and are excited about the future.  Upon unanimous support from the Missouri Valley Football Conference (MVFC) board of presidents – a separate stand-alone, football-only conference – Murray State and MVFC officials are actively engaged in the membership process, which officially began immediately upon receipt of the MVC invitation. 

50 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Murray St officially joining the MVC and in talks with the MVFC for football membership.........

Murray State University Joins The Missouri Valley Conference

Need to turn it down if the summit schools want to sponsor football. Need to pressure FBS ambitious schools like UNI and Mo St to jump to the summit. Losing Western Ill is like getting a mole removed…..

21 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

is it western leaving or fenton saying get out now....

Neither. It's old and out of date news being regurgitated.

A couple months back, WIU's president was looking at other options. The OVC seemed attractive at the time and early talks started. What the WIU president wasn't aware of, however, was the exodus of OVC schools that was about to happen. Once he was made aware of the fact, the talks quickly ground to a halt and nothing new has happened since. That DU fan article and others like it are using sources from that period before the OVC defections.

16 minutes ago, Hammersmith said:

Neither. It's old and out of date news being regurgitated.

A couple months back, WIU's president was looking at other options. The OVC seemed attractive at the time and early talks started. What the WIU president wasn't aware of, however, was the exodus of OVC schools that was about to happen. Once he was made aware of the fact, the talks quickly ground to a halt and nothing new has happened since. That DU fan article and others like it are using sources from that period before the OVC defections.

they might not even be a school in couple years tho....unstable...get rid of em

• 2 weeks later...