SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

11 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

To do what and where? 

They have a good football team but don't bring any recruiting areas in to play or a net positive to a media contract. 

For an invite, just ask McFooley what he thinks 

You would think the CUSA invite would have to be an all sports or none, right? I wouldn't think they would have any interest in a Football only affiliate.

Is it sort of a forgone conclusion that IF NDSU was looking for someone to come along for a potential CUSA ride that it would be SDSU? This trickle down is getting very, very interesting. Is there real appeal to be apart of this version of CUSA? 

Edit: Football affiliate would be on the table for some teams, not all, but some.

2 hours ago, goyotes said:

Joining CUSA now would be like boarding the Titanic after it hit the iceberg.

Agreed.  However, If there is a significant number of FCS schools that work their way into CUSA/FBS as a result of this big shakeup, enough to make the FCS undesirable, I think the Dakota's and Montana's (and like-minded schools in the north) should think about applying for an NCAA exemption/waiver for the creation of a new FBS conference.  If this group of schools, which have a better profile than a significant chunk of FBS schools, is basically black-balled from FBS simply due to geographic proximity to existing FBS conferences, there would be a serious argument to be made that Anti Trust violations are being made by the NCAA.  I think they approve the waiver. 

On 10/21/2021 at 10:56 AM, The Sicatoka said:

Not buyin' MSU-Mankato making a moooo-ove.
Not at all. 

What say you @bale31

On 10/21/2021 at 11:39 AM, bale31 said:

I dont buy it. I don't know any inside info, but I would be very surprised. They did a study less than 10 years ago and decided to stay d2. Add to that, the university president is less than 6 months into his tenure. That would be a very quick to make that big of a financial move. I could be wrong, but I think right now they are happy being a very big fish in a small pond.

For the record, the guy who made that post is legit and basically makes his living off of networking with Athletic Directors and the like, and by filing open records requests.  I have no doubt that there is some type of communication being made, but he also didn't make any predictions... could be simply that the Ohio Valley put some feelers out to MN State which may or may not have been rebuffed yet.

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

To do what and where? 

They have a good football team but don't bring any recruiting areas in to play or a net positive to a media contract. 

The Bison media contract is 2 or 3 million a year . Not far off what the new Conference USA media contract will be, or more!

2 hours ago, northernraider said:

Mostly southern schools being talked about. No reason why the western and northern schools wouldn’t be considered if they bring enough for their own northern/western division 

On 10/21/2021 at 8:51 AM, The Sicatoka said:

Rice is presently Conference USA. The AAC isn't much more prestigious. That's why Rice surprises me, unless it's to get back in a conference with U of Houston ... but wait ... Houston is headed for Big XII in 2023. Is this AAC trying to stay relevant in the Houston TV market (uh, no). 

i meant academics....AAU

42 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

The Bison media contract is 2 or 3 million a year . Not far off what the new Conference USA media contract will be, or more!

$2.19 million average annually for the entire rights package and the deal goes through 2030.

So unless NDSU is going to buyout the remainder of the contract, or at least the football portion, how exactly do they bring something to the table? 

7 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

Does the Sun Belt gutting C-USA open the door for a Northern Division, and would the Dakota 4 be interested in pursuing it, perhaps with Northern Iowa and Missouri State or maybe the Montanas.

CUSA North

UND, NDSU, USD, SDSU, UNI, MoSt (or Montana/Montana St. if interested)

CUSA South

UTEP, New Mexico St., La. Tech, FIU, (MTSU & WKU if they stay, otherwise perhaps Liberty or FCS moveups)

There would be a big gap between the South and North Divisions.

Would be nice for New Mexico State to get an FBS home.

Would also put some USA into CUSA, instead of being Conference of the Southern USA.

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Agreed.  However, If there is a significant number of FCS schools that work their way into CUSA/FBS as a result of this big shakeup, enough to make the FCS undesirable, I think the Dakota's and Montana's (and like-minded schools in the north) should think about applying for an NCAA exemption/waiver for the creation of a new FBS conference.  If this group of schools, which have a better profile than a significant chunk of FBS schools, is basically black-balled from FBS simply due to geographic proximity to existing FBS conferences, there would be a serious argument to be made that Anti Trust violations are being made by the NCAA.  I think they approve the waiver. 

If there is an interest among those schools to go FBS, this might be the way to get it done. Getting an invite to CUSA would be the door opening for moving to FBS.

Question is… do they (Dakota’s, Montana’s, et al) want to make the move?

6 minutes ago, zonadub said:

If there is an interest among those schools to go FBS, this might be the way to get it done. Getting an invite to CUSA would be the door opening for moving to FBS.

Question is… do they (Dakotas, Montana’s, et al) want to make the move?

I dont expect they get an offer because thats a heck of a lot off travel for olympic sports.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I dont expect they get an offer because thats a heck of a lot off travel for olympic sports.  

Could it be like the new WAC?

iirc, the 2 divisions of the new WAC are not going to cross much for non-football Olympic sports. The Texas teams won’t be traveling to Arizona, Utah and California very often.

Still think it is an unlikely scenario.

So, if all this transpires, C-USA will have Florida International, Louisiana Tech and Texas El Paso. Then if they can add U Conn (for football),New Mexico State, Liberty, that they are already looking at, and maybe they also go after U Mass. That would give C-USA 6 full members and 7 football. (yes, UMass and UConn would be a long way from UTEP and NMSU)

Maybe the best way for C-USA to survive would be for a block of Northern teams to join the way that the Texas teams joined the WAC. The Dakotas, Montana’s and Idaho would make a solid core. There could then be a 14 team league that would be a strong G5 league relatively quickly. Would probably have to have limited inter-divisional games.

If the northern schools actually want to go FBS, being invited to join C-USA would be an NCAA approved scenario. If the C-USA wants to survive, it could be the way to solvency. A true USA conference.

South/East

U Mass

U Conn

Liberty

FIU

La Tech

UTEP

NMSU

North/West

USD

SDSU

NDSU

UND

MSU

UM

UI

About as good a conference as there would be in G5. Would really have been nice to get Sioux Volley’s perspective on the latest round of realignment.

• Like 1