SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

12 minutes ago, FSSD said:

I assume that you are saying jumping from MWC to Big 12 versus AAC.  Does SDSU and BSU view themselves as options for Pac12 if they loose schools?

assuming brown meant the american?

i think a lot of mwc people are clueless to who they think they can attract if they lose 4-5 of their best schools...schools will not be jumping to join wyoming, utah state, nevada........

why is uab even on their list.....gimme a break.

28 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

assuming brown meant the american?

i think a lot of mwc people are clueless to who they think they can attract if they lose 4-5 of their best schools...schools will not be jumping to join wyoming, utah state, nevada........

why is uab even on their list.....gimme a break.

I don’t think the AAC is a step up for the MWC. Heck the MWC is the new P6 this year with all their wins over the P5. Air Force and CSU only leave for the Big 12,  Boise and SDSU only leave for the PAC 12, 4 teams leaving leaves a gaping hole for Montana’s and the Dakotas 

2 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

I don’t think the AAC is a step up for the MWC. Heck the MWC is the new P6 this year with all their wins over the P5. Air Force and CSU only leave for the Big 12,  Boise and SDSU only leave for the PAC 12, 4 teams leaving leaves a gaping hole for Montana’s and the Dakotas 

i disagree...if you were AF CSU Boise or SDSU would you rather go to (and recruit to)....

Tulsa, Dallas, New Orleans, Tampa, Philly, Memphis, and the Carolinas...or

Logan, Utah

Reno, Nevada

Laramie, Wyoming

59 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

i could see them losing 6 schools mayb

boise, csu, af, new mexico, sdsu, and unlv

leaving behind

usu, wyoming, nevada,fresno, san jose, and kinda hawaii

45 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i disagree...if you were AF CSU Boise or SDSU would you rather go to (and recruit to)....

Tulsa, Dallas, New Orleans, Tampa, Philly, Memphis, and the Carolinas...or

Logan, Utah

Reno, Nevada

Laramie, Wyoming

Depends where they recruit, hard to recruit players from the west to not play in the west. UND’s recruiting changed a lot when it was in the big sky

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i could see them losing 6 schools mayb

boise, csu, af, new mexico, sdsu, and unlv

leaving behind

usu, wyoming, nevada,fresno, san jose, and kinda hawaii

I would rate the G5 fairly even at the top now:  1) MWC and tied at 2) Conf USA and AAC.  The AAC took a major hit loosing those three schools.  They might be able to reload.  But, I can see schools in the MWC and USA looking at their current conference and thinking a move to AAC as a lateral move.  The only way that the AAC consolidates back to a position of strength is if there are assurances of a P6 type of status or absolute promotion/exposure guarantees from ESPN.  Then you would see all the remaining strength in G5 consolidate into an east / west configuration (super conference or two conferences).

• Like 1

I would rate the Big 12 the top G conference.  Don't kid yourself, when this all shakes out the Big 12 will not be recognized as a Power conference because they added four G5 schools.  When that Big 12 TV contract gets renegotiated they are looking at a serious reduction in revenue.  That was already going to happen and was the impetus for Texas and OU to leave the Big 12.  The Big 12 wanted to start negotiations and ESPN said no.  Then OU and UT got a peak at what the numbers were going to look like from ESPN if they stayed in the Big 12 and that made the decision to bolt to the SEC that easy.

There will be 4 Power conferences and 6 G6 conferences left when the dust settles.  The MWC schools would be wise to just hold together for now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

I would rate the Big 12 the top G conference.  Don't kid yourself, when this all shakes out the Big 12 will not be recognized as a Power conference because they added four G5 schools.  When that Big 12 TV contract gets renegotiated they are looking at a serious reduction in revenue.  That was already going to happen and was the impetus for Texas and OU to leave the Big 12.  The Big 12 wanted to start negotiations and ESPN said no.  Then OU and UT got a peak at what the numbers were going to look like from ESPN if they stayed in the Big 12 and that made the decision to bolt to the SEC that easy.

There will be 4 Power conferences and 6 G6 conferences left when the dust settles.  The MWC schools would be wise to just hold together for now.

Is the PAC-12 much better? The MWC has owned the PAC-12 this season in their non conference match ups.

The Big 12 may not be the top P5 conference but they are much better than any of the G5 conferences and it’s not even close. Their tv deal may go down but they won’t be joining the G5………

9 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Is the PAC-12 much better? The MWC has owned the PAC-12 this season in their non conference match ups.

The Big 12 may not be the top P5 conference but they are much better than any of the G5 conferences and it’s not even close. Their tv deal may go down but they won’t be joining the G5………

They may not have a choice.  The Big 12 can call themselves whatever they want, P5 or G5, but if there are only four involved in the BCS Championship it won't matter anyway.

18 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

They may not have a choice.  The Big 12 can call themselves whatever they want, P5 or G5, but if there are only four involved in the BCS Championship it won't matter anyway.

I’ll believe it when I see it! If a Big 12 team goes undefeated with good non conference wins I don’t see them being left out of the playoff. Well at least if the NCAA holds off letting the SEC pay their players for the foreseeable future……….

24 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

The MWC is a bottom feeder and every team in the league would leave if they could.  

tell me how you really feel...so the mwc beats some pac12 schools and all of a sudden they are p5? yes...any mwc would bolt in a minute if offered something different (big 12, aac, and maybe even  c-usa..)

all schools are always trying to move up and better their postions (except und sometimes)

42 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

tell me how you really feel...so the mwc beats some pac12 schools and all of a sudden they are p5? yes...any mwc would bolt in a minute if offered something different (big 12, aac, and maybe even  c-usa..)

all schools are always trying to move up and better their postions (except und sometimes)

The MWC sucks from every standpoint.  They make no money and every team wants to leave but is landlocked.  Not a shock that the furthest east teams are looking to leave because they actually can

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

The MWC sucks from every standpoint.  They make no money and every team wants to leave but is landlocked.  Not a shock that the furthest east teams are looking to leave because they actually can

usu and wyoming must be crapping their pants....if the mwc gets blown up...Big Sky here we come!

wyoming's new rival would be idaho

As for the Big 12’s new tv contract, they added 3 nice population centers (Houston, Orlando and Cincinnati) and one with a reasonable national audience. They might have been more shrewd than than on first look in who they added.

That said, it doesn’t do much for them to continue to be considered a P5 conference. imho, the Big 12 should have pursued a merger with the PAC 12 instead of picking up so many G5 schools.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, zonadub said:

As for the Big 12’s new tv contract, they added 3 nice population centers (Houston, Orlando and Cincinnati) and one with a reasonable national audience. They might have been more shrewd than than on first look in who they added.

That said, it doesn’t do much for them to continue to be considered a P5 conference. imho, the Big 12 should have pursued a merger with the PAC 12 instead of picking up so many G5 schools.

the pac12 should've just added texas and ok....

they want nothing to do with the rest of the old big12

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Here is what the schools make in the G5:

AAC- 7 million *pre-realignment 
MWC- 4 million

MAC- 700k

CUSA- 400k

Sun Belt- 400k

the MWC is near the top if not the top after the best AAC schools left. Why would any MWC school leave for another G5 conference????? Not going to happen . P5 or bust

It's all about the money.  Money feeds the AD machine.  The current Big 12 schools are not going to be able to keep funding their football programs at current levels when their TV money goes from $30 million to $15 million.  They are not going to be able to fund capital improvement projects.  Most importantly they are not going to have the budget to attract and retain coaches, the recruiting budget, etc.  At the same time the other Power conferences, especially the BIG and SEC will be signing new media rights deals approaching $80-90 million.  

It's a simple as money = competitive advantage

• Like 1