SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

The loss of that number of scholarships over that time frame to a such a prominent program is a huge deal. That, coupled with the 4 year bowl ban (basically a national chamionship ban) will for all intensive purposes cripple Penn St. for the next 10-12 years if not longer.

I agree that this was grand standing by the NCAA. Because they had no business injecting themselves into this issue. This was a criminal matter, not an athletic one. There was obviously a major ethical problem going on that needs to be dealt with, but it had nothing to do with athletics, exploitation of student-athletes, or gaining an unfair advantage on the playing field which is what the NCAA is supposed to regulate.

I would have loved to have seen them get the dealth penalty, just to witness all the chaos that would have ensued. But the NCAA learned their lesson when they killed SMU football. That cost the NCAA alot of money over the last 30 years. We'll never see the death penalty again..........................

I just don't see this crippling the program... it will drop down for a period of 4/5 years, but it will quickly rebound. All the recruiting talent in the area Ohio/Penn they will be back very quickly.. everyone talks about SMU - one the major reason for the delay in SMU rebound is that they did not get invited to the Big 12. They ended up in a third tier conference after the dealth penalty.

I just don't see this crippling the program... it will drop down for a period of 4/5 years, but it will quickly rebound. All the recruiting talent in the area Ohio/Penn they will be back very quickly.. everyone talks about SMU - one the major reason for the delay in SMU rebound is that they did not get invited to the Big 12. They ended up in a third tier conference after the dealth penalty.

How many of those kids will have Penn State on their list without Paterno in charge of the program? He was the heart and soul of their program and now he's gone.

How many of those kids will have Penn State on their list without Paterno in charge of the program? He was the heart and soul of their program and now he's gone.

How many kids came here after Gino and Dean left? How many kids went to the Gophers after Herb and Doug left?

How many kids came here after Gino and Dean left? How many kids went to the Gophers after Herb and Doug left?

Apples and Oranges. Paterno was at Penn State much, much longer than anyone you listed. Football at Penn State is worshipped way more than hockey is at North Dakota or Minnesota; Happy Valley is more insulated from the outside world than Grand Forks or Minneapolis is. And that's a big reason why Sandusky was able to get away with all that crap for as long as he did.

Paterno was going to leave sooner or later....Penn State will rebound (it may take them some years but they will come back).

Apples and Oranges. Paterno was at Penn State much, much longer than anyone you listed. Football at Penn State is worshipped way more than hockey is at North Dakota or Minnesota; Happy Valley is more insulated from the outside world than Grand Forks or Minneapolis is. And that's a big reason why Sandusky was able to get away with all that crap for as long as he did.

No they are not apples and oranges. They are two of the most storied hockey programs in the country. Sandusky got away with it for so long the same way he would have got away with it anywhere else. MONEY!

To me it is different circumstances. Minnesota and North Dakota have just about always been powers in hockey, no matter who the coach was. Penn State football, however, basically has no claim to a storied history anymore because Paterno was their entire history. Before he came along that program had never done anything that mattered. They still have their 2 national titles, but those were both won with Paterno at the helm. History wise, they're starting a whole new program. Their new head coach realizes this too and there's many rumors circulating that they could be debuting new jersey's to get away from the historical look they had throughout the Paterno era to move away from that time as quick as they can

• Upvote 1

No they are not apples and oranges. They are two of the most storied hockey programs in the country. Sandusky got away with it for so long the same way he would have got away with it anywhere else. MONEY!

I think what Sandusky did would have been exposed much sooner in a place like Ann Arbor, Michigan or Columbus, Ohio. Just too much media coverage and reporters snooping around 24/7 looking for a story. Happy Valley, OTOH, is a smaller and more tight-knit place. It's a heck of a lot easier to cover up a major scandal in a place like that. Paterno was basically Dictator-For-Life there and was running the place for years. As we've seen with what happened to Gino and Wooger, that isn't the case in Grand Forks or Minneapolis. This was a one-of-a-kind situation that just doesn't happen much in big-time sports anymore. Coaches are much more expendable than they used to be.

To me it is different circumstances. Minnesota and North Dakota have just about always been powers in hockey, no matter who the coach was. Penn State football, however, basically has no claim to a storied history anymore because Paterno was their entire history. Before he came along that program had never done anything that mattered. They still have their 2 national titles, but those were both won with Paterno at the helm. History wise, they're starting a whole new program. Their new head coach realizes this too and there's many rumors circulating that they could be debuting new jersey's to get away from the historical look they had throughout the Paterno era to move away from that time as quick as they can

As far as the jersey thing, that probably would be really wise.

Why does this wording under the picture of the seniors holding the Broadmoore say "their record tying third consecutive trophy" no one else has done it????

--------------------------------------________---------------

Look again, I emailed them with their stats page attached and asked them to tell me who the Sioux tied with this record, no reply! But they changed it, but now it doesn't say it's a record! Im so glad the Sioux are leaving this anti-Sioux league! They win the tourney and the next season tickets are whited out! No faces no team name! Some other teams win it and their pictures faces and te names are all over the next season tourney tickets, jerk offs!

http://www.wcha.com/men/pres1112/201207/jul26wcm.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

• 2 weeks later...

"NCHC adds business operations manager, media relations consultant"

"A grand opening for the league office, which will have computer and phone systems installed in the next few days, will be held in early to mid-September"

http://www.uscho.com...ons-consultant/

Verna is a pretty good hire. I've met her a few times and work closely with her husband. Very knowledgeable family.

• 9 months later...

I think this is a great, perfect, and outstanding opportunity to get a hockey guy in as commish. The ougoing guy was great at running sports but hockey is different, as many people can attest. I'm excited... disappointed with certain moves, but excited that this is happening prior to the season starting and not mid-season. There is still time to commit changes.

Fortunately, those working under the commish have been working hard, specifically and somewhat surprisingly Don Adam in his role as superviser of officials. I'm excited about the on-ice performance of both the teams and the officials. The rest of the stuff can grow over the first full year of play.

I think this is a great, perfect, and outstanding opportunity to get a hockey guy in as commish. The ougoing guy was great at running sports but hockey is different, as many people can attest. I'm excited... disappointed with certain moves, but excited that this is happening prior to the season starting and not mid-season. There is still time to commit changes.

Fortunately, those working under the commish have been working hard, specifically and somewhat surprisingly Don Adam in his role as superviser of officials. I'm excited about the on-ice performance of both the teams and the officials. The rest of the stuff can grow over the first full year of play.

Anyone know if the nchc can back out of their exclusive CBS college sports tv deal for national tv?

Anyone know if the nchc can back out of their exclusive CBS college sports tv deal for national tv?

Brad was talking about the television deal on the chat this past week, apparently all of the schools in the league have to agree on the TV deal thing for a school to get their own deal.

Comment From Guest Any chance CBS Sports will waive the exclusivity clause for NCHC games they don't plan to pick up. Also, does that clause cover all games at NCHC schools, including non-conference?

3:08

Schlossman, GF Herald: It includes all games. From what I understand, some of the schools in the league want all TV stuff to be equal, therefore, they support the exclusivity to CBS. I, like the fans, think it is a no-brainer that it needs to be waved and they should be getting on TV as much as possible, as they said they were going to do when they formed the league.

Comment From B.E. Fan Brad is there any way we can get DirecTV to pick up the games from MIDCOSPORTSNET?

3:20

Schlossman, GF Herald: No.

• 1 month later...

A bit off-topic, but the 'new' WCHA has an updated logo...

wcha_newlogo_men.gifnewlogo.jpg

I've always preferred more subdued conference logos...I like the new WCHA version. Curious to see how the multi-color NCHC logo will look on uniforms this year.