SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

Is the light rail still open at bar close? B/c that would be convenient.

I don't think it is open until bar close. Last I was there it was until 1 am. I talked to one of the train designers one time about this and he said it's because they don't want people puking on the trains. But I've cabbed from downtown back to MOA and I don't remember it being too much more than $20.

That's about right for when the Twins played at the Metrodome. It's about a 15 minute ride from the mall to the dome. To get to Target Field though which is further away, it can be about 45 minutes or more.

MOA to Target Field - 39 minutes

MOA to Metrodome - 30 minutes

Feel free to add it up yourself: http://metrotransit....e-route-55.aspx

45+ isn't out of the question to get from MOA to Target Field, but there's no way you made it to the Metrodome in 15 minutes.

45+ isn't out of the question to get from MOA to Target Field, but there's no way you made it to the Metrodome in 15 minutes.

Solution...stay at one of the 20 hotels that are within 10 blocks of the Target Center. Many of them are also connected by the Skyway!! If you don't want to do that and the train ride is too long, stay at home. I am sure the games will be aired on TV.

In my 36 years of living in the Twin Cities, not once have I ever felt unsafe in downtown mpls. The area around the Target Center is as safe as it gets, I have no idea why you think otherwise. You sound like a country bumpkin who's afraid to go to the big city.

OK, I live in the Cities. Yes, right by the target center and target field is somewhat safe (at 2am) but if you get bar hopping and get further away from that central location....lets just say, you can end up somewhere not many people from GF would want to be at that hour.

Solution...stay at one of the 20 hotels that are within 10 blocks of the Target Center. Many of them are also connected by the Skyway!! If you don't want to do that and the train ride is too long, stay at home. I am sure the games will be aired on TV.

I'm not complaining, and I don't think the ride is too long, especially for the cost savings versus parking downtown or staying in a hotel downtown. I was just pointing out that 15 minutes from MOA to Metrodome isn't possible.

Pretty positive it was under a 20 minute ride 7 years ago. Like I said, things may have changed since then. I live in Milwaukee now and haven't rode the light rail since.

You're kidding with this statement right? They don't even compare. You're trying to play up the fact that your team has to play on an NHL ice sheet is as big of a disadvantage as it is an advantage for the Gophers to being playing in front of a partisan crowd? :huh: At least you spiced it up a bit, most Gopher fans usually just give the "the Xcel isn't any advantage it's a neutral playing site and it's located in a whole different city" schtick.

I think I would've understood if your Gopher players never stepped foot or skated on an nhl ice sheet but the Gophers play many teams that have nhl sized ice rinks. Skating on smaller ice sheets isn't some foreign thing to them. If that's the case Gopher players who turn pro sure must have a hard time adapting. :silly:

You may think their is not a disadvantage from going from an olympic size sheet to an NHL size sheet but your own coach thinks different. At a Gopher blueline luncheon he spoke at a few years ago he mentioned how much of a disadvantage it is going from a NHL size rink to an Olympic size rink.( for the final five its just the opposite for the Gophers). He was saying the angles are different for the goalies, more of a skating game because of the dimentions, he said how quick teams adjust to the dimentions is the key. Most teams practice at their olympic rink ( if they have one) when they play on the road at an Olympic size rink and visa vera if their home rink is Olympic and they will be playing on a NHL size rink.

As for the poster who said the Gophers don't stay at a hotel, this is not true, all teams stay at designated hotels during the Final five.

The Minnesota rule has been compained about for years among fans. But the bottom line is EVERY athletic director in the wcha votes on this rule to let Minnesota play the night game because each schools wants the maximum revenue from the gate. So, if people want to say this is an advantage for the Gophers they can blaim their own AD.

Finally, When it comes to regional sites, every school can put a bid and as we all know the NCAA is all about money so naturally they will go with the highest bidder. I know they are staying away from campus rinks but if UND wants a regional closest to Grand Forks ( because there is not a arena off campus in GF that could host a regional) they could put a bid in to be the host school at the XCEL just like Michigan Tech does when they are the host school when it is in Green Bay.

http://metrotransit.org/Schedules/WebSchedules.aspx?route=55&service=2

On Friday and Saturday nights the last train leaves target field at 2:13 am.

As with any late night outside of any bar area in a large or a small town you need to have situational awareness and use some common sense. Having moved from ND to St. Paul seven years ago I can tell you that my idea of what constitutes a 'safe' environment has changed over time. Honestly the downtown area is 'safer' ie has a larger police presence (both city and transit forces) and better street lighting and taxi options than other areas in the Twin Cities. The area surrounding the U of M campus is far more 'dangerous' lately.

Although there are some shady areas near downtown, but like another poster stated- after leaving the bars and heading to your hotel you wouldn't be anywhere near those neighborhoods anyway.

I've lived in the Twin Cities for a long time. Downtown Minneapolis isn't terrible, but it's far from safe (especially when you are used to "North Dakota safe"). I've seen enough incidents to be wary. While going to school at the U of M, I worked on campus and bused to Brooklyn Center (via downtown) every night. Without a doubt, downtown St. Paul is safer. I don't anticipate too many people having a lot of problems, but you have to be careful.

I've lived in the Twin Cities for a long time. Downtown Minneapolis isn't terrible, but it's far from safe (especially when you are used to "North Dakota safe"). I've seen enough incidents to be wary. While going to school at the U of M, I worked on campus and bused to Brooklyn Center (via downtown) every night. Without a doubt, downtown St. Paul is safer. I don't anticipate too many people having a lot of problems, but you have to be careful.

Yeah, in oil country...there is no such thing as "North Dakota safe" anymore. Both jails in Minot are pretty close to full by the end of every week. Not sure about Williston at the moment, because I haven't heard lately.

You're kidding with this statement right? They don't even compare. You're trying to play up the fact that your team has to play on an NHL ice sheet is as big of a disadvantage as it is an advantage for the Gophers to being playing in front of a partisan crowd? :huh: At least you spiced it up a bit, most Gopher fans usually just give the "the Xcel isn't any advantage it's a neutral playing site and it's located in a whole different city" schtick.

I think I would've understood if your Gopher players never stepped foot or skated on an nhl ice sheet but the Gophers play many teams that have nhl sized ice rinks. Skating on smaller ice sheets isn't some foreign thing to them. If that's the case Gopher players who turn pro sure must have a hard time adapting. :silly:

The ice size at Mariucci is a huge factor in NHL teams wanting to pull their players out early.

Careful, the resident Gopher fan is going to call you a country bumpkin. :silly:

• Upvote 1

Yeah, in oil country...there is no such thing as "North Dakota safe" anymore. Both jails in Minot are pretty close to full by the end of every week. Not sure about Williston at the moment, because I haven't heard lately.

It's not any better, some of you may have heard we had another deal here in Montana last weekend, a guy was driving through from Washington going to Williston to work, saw a hitchhiker standing beside the road reading a Historical Marker...and shot him. For no reason. Luckily he didn't hit any vitals, but he is still in the hospital so it must have done quite a bit of damage. Who does that?

The truly ironic part of the story, the guy hitchhiking was from West Virginia and was writing a journal as he was traveling named "The Kindness of America". I sh*t you not.

We've had 3 really bad incidents in the last year in this area...the Sherry Arnold murder, an oil guy deliberately run over and killed, and now this, and all 3 were perpetrated by people coming to Williston from other states looking for work. It's not good.

It's not any better, some of you may have heard we had another deal here in Montana last weekend, a guy was driving through from Washington going to Williston to work, saw a hitchhiker standing beside the road reading a Historical Marker...and shot him. For no reason. Luckily he didn't hit any vitals, but he is still in the hospital so it must have done quite a bit of damage. Who does that?

The truly ironic part of the story, the guy hitchhiking was from West Virginia and was writing a journal as he was traveling named "The Kindness of America". I sh*t you not.

We've had 3 really bad incidents in the last year in this area...the Sherry Arnold murder, an oil guy deliberately run over and killed, and now this, and all 3 were perpetrated by people coming to Williston from other states looking for work. It's not good.

I had heard about that West Virginia guy. It is ridiculous.

In 2009 Forbes ranked Minneapolis "America's safest city."

And now "the rest of the story".

They released the shooter yesterday because they determined he had nothing to do with the incident. So who did the shooting? The guy shot himself. In the armpit. They haven't said why yet, but speculation is he did it to liven up the storyline in his book, although the way it has played out so far there might be an even more bizarre story coming Monday at the press conference.

Crazy people stay away from Montana, we don't need any more Unabombers. :crazy:

And now "the rest of the story".

They released the shooter yesterday because they determined he had nothing to do with the incident. So who did the shooting? The guy shot himself. In the armpit. They haven't said why yet, but speculation is he did it to liven up the storyline in his book, although the way it has played out so far there might be an even more bizarre story coming Monday at the press conference.

Crazy people stay away from Montana, we don't need any more Unabombers. :crazy:

http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/montana/montana-authorities-say-hitchhiker-shot-himself/article_726e35cc-63b1-5dc5-ad4c-3843a50bbbbd.html

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that wasn't "Minneapolis"--that was the Twin Cities as a metro area. And they only ranked the top 40 metro areas. That also included things like Traffic Death rates and Natural Disaster Risk. They ranked 9th in violent crime rate amongst the 40 metro areas, so their "safe" ranking was probably a bit misleading. (Milwaukee's #2 ranking was probably even more misleading. They were average in violent crime rate, but were top 4 in Traffic Death rate and Natural Disaster risk.) The Twin Cities are a safe metro area, but there are plenty of areas that aren't safe.

http://www.forbes.co...-msa_chart.html

Interesting list. The five safest metro areas based on violent crime rate were Portland, San Jose, Seattle, Austin, and Denver.

Good grief, if you think Minneapolis, or the MSP metro, is "unsafe". you should obviously stay home. And double-bolt the doors.

"Safe" is a relative term. You have a statistically higher chance of getting robbed, raped, murdered in Minneapolis then you do in Grand Forks, Fargo, Bismarck, etc. That is a stone cold fact. This may be due to the fact you are targeted, or simply an innocent bystander. That said, I have spent many days and nights in Minneapolis and have never been hassled. People in LA or NYC see MSP as a place where the doors are all left unlocked, and there is no crime. Again, as many things are, it is all relative.