SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

I will add another. Do the gophers have to travel and sleep in a hotel come tourney time? No they get to go about their normal routine. No other team that plays in the final five has that luxury at all. So with that the "Minnesota Rule" I start to see some advantages.

UND doesn't have the proximity advantages of UM. But the NCHC will have a "North Dakota" rule. There's no way the fans of the NCHC can fill the Target Center without UND fans.

RE Gophers "Home Ice Advantage":

I will give you the lack of travel. That is an advantage, but I'd say it's the only one. The time they play is irrelevant to the team. We, as fans, care about whether they play the night or day game, but the teams could care less. The Gophers always get the night game because they draw the highest TV ratings. Just the reality of the TV business.

What people are overlooking is that the X is an NHL sized sheet. This is as big of a disadvantage for the Gophers, if not more, than the lack of travel is an advantage.

I will add another. Do the gophers have to travel and sleep in a hotel come tourney time? No they get to go about their normal routine. No other team that plays in the final five has that luxury at all. So with that the "Minnesota Rule" I start to see some advantages.

Actually they do travel and stay in a hotel room. They don't travel very far....but they do travel.

Can you please explain what these "home field advantages" are that the Gophers get more than any other team.

Well, they host every single Final Five. They also get regionals and final tourneys quite frequently. What other team do you know of that has this option? I know it is out of convenience...which I am fine with. However, I am just saying they get an advantage...that's all.

Downtown Mpls and the Warehouse District are extremely safe. Target Center is next to Target Field, and how many times have you heard people complain about crime when they talk about Target Field? They don't.

???? No it isn't. I am not talking about 7-9pm.....I am talking about 10-2am...when people go out drinking after the games. Also, where is everyone going to stay??? The Best Western or Holiday Inn...the two shabbiest hotels in Minny?

???? No it isn't. I am not talking about 7-9pm.....I am talking about 10-2am...when people go out drinking after the games. Also, where is everyone going to stay??? The Best Western or Holiday Inn...the two shabbiest hotels in Minny?

Have you been to downtown Minneapolis lately? Cops everywhere!! Also, there are tons of hotels downtown. Many of them that are connected by the skyway so you don't even need to go outside!!

Well, they host every single Final Five. They also get regionals and final tourneys quite frequently. What other team do you know of that has this option? I know it is out of convenience...which I am fine with. However, I am just saying they get an advantage...that's all.

Again, the Xisn't the same size sheet as Mariucci, which is as big of a disadvantage to the Gophers as the location is an advantage.

Light rail. Stay by the MOA. It's like a 15 minute train ride downtown.

I feel safer downtown Minneapolis that in Uptown, where you get approached by cocaine dealers...

Yeah, what are you talking about? I've lived in Minneapolis for over 2 years now, 5 mins from Uptown. Uptown is harmless, with hipsters and a young crowd that enjoys the bar scene. I have yet to be approached by a cocaine dealer in Uptown. Keep in mind, there's some pretty decent (somewhat classy) restaurants now in the area.

I really don't know what you're talking about... In my mind Uptown is safer than downtown Minneapolis, less problems during late night or bar close

When is the last time you've been to downtown Mpls? Seriously, it's safe. You can find trouble after bar close in Mpls, StP, or Grand Forks for that matter. You should be able to find accomodations....there are almost 10,000 hotel rooms in Mpls. It's a first class city.

Have you been to downtown Minneapolis lately? Cops everywhere!! Also, there are tons of hotels downtown. Many of them that are connected by the skyway so you don't even need to go outside!!

$200/night (besides Best Western and Holiday Inn). Yes, tons of cops....for a good reason. Either way...I'll be there.

When is the last time you've been to downtown Mpls? Seriously, it's safe. You can find trouble after bar close in Mpls, StP, or Grand Forks for that matter. You should be able to find accomodations....there are almost 10,000 hotel rooms in Mpls. It's a first class city.

Two weekends ago.

Again, the Xisn't the same size sheet as Mariucci, which is as big of a disadvantage to the Gophers as the location is an advantage.

You're kidding with this statement right? They don't even compare. You're trying to play up the fact that your team has to play on an NHL ice sheet is as big of a disadvantage as it is an advantage for the Gophers to being playing in front of a partisan crowd? :huh: At least you spiced it up a bit, most Gopher fans usually just give the "the Xcel isn't any advantage it's a neutral playing site and it's located in a whole different city" schtick.

I think I would've understood if your Gopher players never stepped foot or skated on an nhl ice sheet but the Gophers play many teams that have nhl sized ice rinks. Skating on smaller ice sheets isn't some foreign thing to them. If that's the case Gopher players who turn pro sure must have a hard time adapting. :silly:

• Upvote 1

$200/night (besides Best Western and Holiday Inn). Yes, tons of cops....for a good reason. Either way...I'll be there.

Quick Travelocity search for an upcoming weekend this summer gives me hotel prices ranging from about $70 to $150 per night in downtown Minneapolis, with many of them in the $110-125 per night range. Nothing even approaching $200 per night unless taxes are now more than 50%. These prices are not out of line with downtown areas of large cities. And you can still stay in the burbs for under $100 with plenty of parking room downtown, or take the light rail.

Downtown Mpls and the Warehouse District are extremely safe. Target Center is next to Target Field, and how many times have you heard people complain about crime when they talk about Target Field? They don't.

I would definitely agree with this as I live DT Minneapolis. Have never ran into problems walking home from the bars even at 2 AM. Now if you accidentally wander on the other side of Broadway (not sure how you could unless you were really drunk)...that's a different story and you're asking for trouble.

• Upvote 1

Light rail. Stay by the MOA. It's like a 15 minute train ride downtown.

Staying by the MoA and using the light rail is a great option. But for those thinking of doing this so you can plan accordingly, I recently did this and took the light rail up to Target Field for a Twins game and it was about a 45 minute ride, not 15 minutes.

You're kidding with this statement right? They don't even compare. You're trying to play up the fact that your team has to play on an NHL ice sheet is as big of a disadvantage as it is an advantage for the Gophers to being playing in front of a partisan crowd? :huh: At least you spiced it up a bit, most Gopher fans usually just give the "the Xcel isn't any advantage it's a neutral playing site and it's located in a whole different city" schtick.

I think I would've understood if your Gopher players never stepped foot or skated on an nhl ice sheet but the Gophers play many teams that have nhl sized ice rinks. Skating on smaller ice sheets isn't some foreign thing to them. If that's the case Gopher players who turn pro sure must have a hard time adapting. :silly:

No, I'm not kidding. The size of the ice is as significant as travel time.

Staying by the MoA and using the light rail is a great option. But for those thinking of doing this so you can plan accordingly, I recently did this and took the light rail up to Target Field for a Twins game and it was about a 45 minute ride, not 15 minutes.

I did it for my bachelor party 7 years ago. We stayed by the MOA and went to a Twins game and then the bars downtown. I remember the ride being about 15 minutes, but things may have changed.

In my 36 years of living in the Twin Cities, not once have I ever felt unsafe in downtown mpls. The area around the Target Center is as safe as it gets, I have no idea why you think otherwise. You sound like a country bumpkin who's afraid to go to the big city.

• Upvote 1

I did it for my bachelor party 7 years ago. We stayed by the MOA and went to a Twins game and then the bars downtown. I remember the ride being about 15 minutes, but things may have changed.

That's about right for when the Twins played at the Metrodome. It's about a 15 minute ride from the mall to the dome. To get to Target Field though which is further away, it can be about 45 minutes or more.

I was down there this past weekend. Only a couple of blocks from Target Center. It is hardly as safe as you make it. A ridiculous statement even with the increased police presence.

Minneapolis is a big place. Of course there are good places too. But the warehouse district is not a walk in the park at night. You can ignore it all you want but it has been troubled down there in the last year or so. More than usual. And I have been going down to that area at various times for 20 years so I think I can judge fairly.