SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

"Safe" is a relative term. You have a statistically higher chance of getting robbed, raped, murdered in Minneapolis then you do in Grand Forks, Fargo, Bismarck, etc. That is a stone cold fact. This may be due to the fact you are targeted, or simply an innocent bystander. That said, I have spent many days and nights in Minneapolis and have never been hassled. People in LA or NYC see MSP as a place where the doors are all left unlocked, and there is no crime. Again, as many things are, it is all relative.

I think the bolded pretty much is the answer to all of the arguments whether Minneapolis is "safe" or not. It's not like walking the lovely bar strip of Grand Forks but it's not South Central Los Angeles either.

I'm not really sure which thread to put this in and I didn't want to start a new one so I guess this will have to do. It appears UND and UW have reached a tenative agreement to continue the series. Perhaps this is posted elsewhere. If it is then feel free to delete. Here's the link to Goon's blog...

http://ndgoon.blogspot.com/

Awesome. Wisconsin fans are among an elite group who can drink almost as much beer as North Dakota fans.

Great rivalry.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was not sure where to post this, but as I was charging a child sexual assault case last night, I noticed the media frenzy around the Penn State University report from Attorney Freeh on PSU's child sexual assault issue. I wonder if PSU athletics takes the hit that is being cried out for by some (death penalty), and how that impacts their ability to compete in the Big Ten, at least in football? If a B10 team can't compete in the major revenue producing sport why keep them in the conference? If that happens, which is a long way down the road, what happens to the Big Ten hockey conference? They would be down to five teams, lose an auto bid and cause another major shake-up in the college hockey world.

I was not sure where to post this, but as I was charging a child sexual assault case last night, I noticed the media frenzy around the Penn State University report from Attorney Freeh on PSU's child sexual assault issue. I wonder if PSU athletics takes the hit that is being cried out for by some (death penalty), and how that impacts their ability to compete in the Big Ten, at least in football? If a B10 team can't compete in the major revenue producing sport why keep them in the conference? If that happens, which is a long way down the road, what happens to the Big Ten hockey conference? They would be down to five teams, lose an auto bid and cause another major shake-up in the college hockey world.

You're speculating on something that more than likely won't happen. The NCAA has given the Death Penalty once (SMU). They didn't give it to Miami or USC and probably could have.

As I've said elsewhere, the PSU problems seem to be criminal and civil law. I don't see where PSU has violated any NCAA rules (unless the NCAA can come up with a way to claim "lack of institutional control" violations).

So to your Big Ten concerns I say worry about it when it happens.

One more note: If PSU is capable of this, what ugly skeletons are out there at other schools yet to be found? They won't admit it, but school presidents (the managers of the NCAA) know they're one scandal away from being a pariah like PSU. They'll make a lot of firm sounding statements about "concerns" but will they really drop the hammer knowing it could easily be them next time. How can I say that? They dropped the hammer on SMU, saw how devestating it was to SMU (20 years later they're still recovering), and haven't used that hammer since.

Rank speculation on my part. I have never read the NC$$ rules but there is most likely some catchall. The academic side of PSU could also decide to let athletics die at PSU. I am not worried about B10 hockey, I wish it had never happened. The point of a hammer is to be devastating.

The NCAA has a bit of a mess on its hands. I understand that they might not have jurisdiction in this case. But, they have shown a willingness to get involved in some very gray areas ie (flags and nicknames). Now, if they sit back and don't get involved with a child predator who was protected by a school, athletic dept and specifically the football program. It will look like it is protecting one of the premier schools/conference in the country. In my opinion - If SMU got the hammer at 5 years. I think a 10 year hammer for the athletics department and AAU status pulled for the school. This will send a very clear message about the priorities for a University. Again, a school president, AD and football coach all knew about this and they let it continue for over a decade. It was a running joke throughout campus about "Jerry’s Kids" - it was an accepted cultural behavior.

The NCAA has a bit of a mess on its hands. I understand that they might not have jurisdiction in this case. But, they have shown a willingness to get involved in some very gray areas ie (flags and nicknames). Now, if they sit back and don't get involved with a child predator who was protected by a school, athletic dept and specifically the football program. It will look like it is protecting one of the premier schools/conference in the country. In my opinion - If SMU got the hammer at 5 years. I think a 10 year hammer for the athletics department and AAU status pulled for the school. This will send a very clear message about the priorities for a University. Again, a school president, AD and football coach all knew about this and they let it continue for over a decade. It was a running joke throughout campus about "Jerry’s Kids" - it was an accepted cultural behavior.

Agreed, good points.

It was terrible what happened to those kids. I could see the NCAA punishing their football program since it revolved around that.

I wouldn't bet on it. Penn State, whatever its past failures, brings in a lot of money to the NC$$.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/15/sports/ncaafootball/penn-state-scandal-poses-tough-choices-for-ncaa.html?_r=1&hpw&pagewanted=all

If SMU got the hammer at 5 years. I think a 10 year hammer for the athletics department and AAU status pulled for the school.

1. SMU got one year under the NCAA death penalty. One. Year. And their program is still a mess 20 years later. Presidents see that. I doubt we'll see that hammer ever used again unless we run into a situation so blatently in violation of NCAA rules that it can't be ignored.

2. Pull AAU status? I assume you're talking about this AAU and not amateur athletics. This is an athletics scandal. You don't smoke the whole university for being stupid enough to let a Napoleon-wannabe with bad glasses run the place for four decades.

Personally, I don't see anything more for Penn State than a firm finger-wagging from the NCAA. Scott pointed out precisely why.

However, the courts are going to send a loud and clear message. I honestly expect:

- at least one of the three administrators who were involved in what was effectively a cover-up to end up in jail

- a final settlement for the victims that may well approach (sit down folks) ... ten digits.

I expect the damage to PSU Athletics to come from the courts via them being fiscally hamstrung making huge settlement payments for the forseeable future.

1. SMU got one year under the NCAA death penalty. One. Year. And their program is still a mess 20 years later. Presidents see that. I doubt we'll see that hammer ever used again unless we run into a situation so blatently in violation of NCAA rules that it can't be ignored.

When I noted the dealth penalty and the time I was thinking about all punishments which I thought lasted for 5 years. But, looking into it a bit more I think that SMU was on probation until 1990. So, it would be four years.

2. Pull AAU status? I assume you're talking about this AAU and not amateur athletics. This is an athletics scandal. You don't smoke the whole university for being stupid enough to let a Napoleon-wannabe with bad glasses run the place for four decades.

Yes, I am saying AAU because this was more than an athletic issue - we are talking about the leadership of the school. I can not think of a better way to get the attention of the school presidents and reminding them of the primary mission of our university system and it is not to protect athletics. (NOTE: I know that the NCAA has nothing to due with pulling this..)

Personally, I don't see anything more for Penn State than a firm finger-wagging from the NCAA. Scott pointed out precisely why.

However, the courts are going to send a loud and clear message. I honestly expect:

- at least one of the three administrators who were involved in what was effectively a cover-up to end up in jail

- a final settlement for the victims that may well approach (sit down folks) ... ten digits.

I expect the damage to PSU Athletics to come from the courts via them being fiscally hamstrung making huge settlement payments for the forseeable future.

I really do not expect much from the NCAA.

When I noted the dealth penalty and the time I was thinking about all punishments which I thought lasted for 5 years. But, looking into it a bit more I think that SMU was on probation until 1990. So, it would be four years.

I have to correct both of us.

SMU FB was shut down for two years ('87 and '88) under the NCAA death penalty. (Death penalty is when a program is shut down, otherwise the program is under sanctions.)

I don't see this directly affecting PSU Hockey, but it will feel the secondary effects.

I have to correct both of us.

SMU FB was shut down for two years ('87 and '88) under the NCAA death penalty. (Death penalty is when a program is shut down, otherwise the program is under sanctions.)

I don't see this directly affecting PSU Hockey, but it will feel the secondary effects.

I think the NCAA shut them down in '87 and said no home games in '88 but they could play 7 or 8 road games. But, since most player left the program SMU shutdown the team in '88.

I love the way Nocera goes after the NC$$ ...

On Thursday, the same day Louis Freeh, the former director of the F.B.I., issued his damning report about the cover-up of Jerry Sandusky’s sexual crimes by the Penn State hierarchy, the N.C.A.A. lowered the boom on — are you ready for this? — the California Institute of Technology.

Yet the punishment imposed on the school was severe: three years of probation, a postseason ban in a dozen sports, the erasure of wins and individual records that were gained with ineligible athletes, and more. Indeed, Caltech was cited for “a lack of institutional control,” which is pretty much the worst thing you can be accused of in N.C.A.A.-speak.

As regular readers know, I don’t have much faith in the N.C.A.A. It has congealed into a bureaucracy that cares only about enforcing its rules, no matter how silly or retrograde. But here is a chance to put its money where its mouth is. The N.C.A.A. proclaims that part of its mission is to “integrate athletics into higher education.” If it really believes that, it will impose the death penalty on Penn State, to send a signal that no school should put football above its own integrity.

http://www.nytimes.c...n-state.html?hp

Edit:

On the other hand ...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-17/penn-state-may-face-harshest-penalty-ncaa-president-tells-pbs.html

• Upvote 1

I love the way Nocera goes after the NC$$ ...

http://www.nytimes.c...n-state.html?hp

Edit:

On the other hand ...

http://www.bloomberg...-tells-pbs.html

Edit 2.0:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/24/sports/ncaafootball/penn-state-penalties-include-60-million-fine-and-bowl-ban.html?hp

Not the "death penalty", but at least the NC$$ can claim they "did something".

Since Penn State is a state institution, is it possible the state legislature will dictate that no state funds can go to pay the NCAA fines nor replace any dollars used to pay the NCAA fines? That might be very devastating to any financial recovery plan for athletics.