SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

speaking is different then writing. There's mass media and multi media

If you want to be taken seriously, clean it up.

Also, mass media includes printed media, even internet websites and blogs. It's not just radio/tv. However, radio and tv copy also needs grammar and spelling corrections made in order to those to do proper oral interpretation of that written script or copy.

Any of the huge variety of uses for what you may believe is multimedia also requires proper grammar and spelling. But, in your case, I would also worry about content. Focus on the meaning. Think, "Is this a meaningful statement? Does it address the topic? Will the public understand what I am trying to say? Is it done in the context of the discussion?"

If you wish to succeed in the "media", as you call it, you need to address these issues.

I will always be a fan no mater what happions with the name change. I do; however, what this name change stuff to be quite. I was chewed out by many of you that the name change must happon. Then many of you said that we will be North Dakota for a few years to sort out things and let Sioux fans ajust. So please again let us adjust and stopp this name game for at least a year or so.

Is this a bit? IALTO

Is this a bit? IALTO

I was just thinking that its unfortunate that this guy is serious. Otherwise this would have been one of the more epic troll jobs I've seen in a long time. I am convinced that there is some relation to JohnboyND7, brothers or cousins perhaps?

No just one of the Sioux fans. People say ndsu have better fans maybe it is true? Sounds like you would say that about me, right? Are you being true fans when you are putting other sioux fans down. There are many more that feel the same. Why else would the current issue be going on? I did not even get to sign the pat.

No just one of the Sioux fans. People say ndsu have better fans maybe it is true? Sounds like you would say that about me, right? Are you being true fans when you are putting other sioux fans down. There are many more that feel the same. Why else would the current issue be going on? I did not even get to sign the pat.

The current issue is going on because the NCAA has created the issue. There have been people complaining about the nickname since the 1960's at least. But the ban on Native nicknames and imagery by the NCAA was put into effect in 2005. And it is coming to a head at UND now.

You are what we are now calling a nickname-at-all-cost Sioux fan. You want to keep the nickname no matter what damage it does to the school. You believe that a game is a game, and you think it is perfectly all right for UND to play games against a community college. Most of us believe that UND should be playing schools more its own size. And you don't seem to understand why people on this board might be unhappy with your beliefs. If you are going to keep posting an unpopular position you are going to keep getting posts you don't like.

By the way, you weren't eligible to sign the petitions, you have to be a North Dakota resident.

Maybe you should apply at NDSU.....always nice to have a safety school! :whistling:

• Upvote 4

USC has the Trojans

San Diego State has the Aztecs

Idaho the Vandals.

Unless you've been living under a rock, you have heard about the Mayan calendar ending in 2012. 2012 is the beginning for UND in many ways. Full member as a Division I member. Big Sky conference membership.

I give you the University of North Dakota Mayans.

A few months ago I watched the movie Apacalypto. The star of the movie was named Jaguar Paw. UND could use the jaguar as the mascot. Sica would like that. ;)

For those of you who are actually willing to change the name, what are some of the criteria you will use to determine your front runner.

Originality, connection to the state heritage, connection to the University's history? Just curious.

Is spite towards the NCAA a good criteria? :(
  • Upvote 1

"North Dakota" is the Sioux State/flickertail/peace garden state/roughrider state.

For me it's simple...keep going down the line....Why wouldn't UND become the Roughriders? UND has already shown a history of picking their nicknames from this list.

Who cares if a local high school has the same nickname. There are already teams and high schools that share the name...Ames HS Little Cyclones. And others someone here already posted.