SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

For a while folks wanted to tip the cap to the second large group to live in this area, namely the Scandenavian / Northern European immigrants. Those folks share a common mythology. The most powerful warrior that Norse/Germanic mythos carried a weapon called Mjolnir.

Officially be the Mjolnir (translation: the crusher).

What is Mjolnir in common language (meaning what could be the alternate name for the teams)? The War Hammer.

(It'd be like "Bison" and "Herd" as some other college.)

But I'm sure the NCAA'd say we'd need family approval from a former UND defenseman with the first name Trevor. ;)

It's not bad, but I still kind of like "Reaper" as it hits both past and present in the region (old harvesters and new UAVs). And yes, the black jerseys would be a whole lot of fun ...

• Upvote 1

For a while folks wanted to tip the cap to the second large group to live in this area, namely the Scandenavian / Northern European immigrants. Those folks share a common mythology. The most powerful warrior that Norse/Germanic mythos carried a weapon called Mjolnir.

What is Mjolnir in common language (meaning what could be the alternate name for the teams)? The War Hammer.

But I'm sure the NCAA'd say we'd need family approval from a former UND defenseman with the first name Trevor. ;)

It's not bad, but I still kind of like "Reaper" as it hits both past and present in the region (old harvesters and new UAVs). And yes, the black jerseys would be a whole lot of fun ...

And the most popular song that our teams would hear on the road would be "Don't Fear the Reaper"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZOHY7Z5eaQ

How about the Pike, or Northern Pike? Then, we can "slime" the opponent! yeah, I know..that's weird...

I've been saying that for the last year and a half. It's the North Dakota state fish, unique angle (not a lot of teams with the fish mascot), same cadence as Fighting Sioux, same color scheme, and a bad a$$ predator.

I've been saying that for the last year and a half. It's the North Dakota state fish, unique angle (not a lot of teams with the fish mascot), same cadence as Fighting Sioux, same color scheme, and a bad a$$ predator.

Minnesota already tried that nickname in 1996 with it's one-and-done Arena Football League team...count me in the 'not a fan' group.

MinnesotaFightingPike.jpg

What about "Phoenix" or "The Phoenix". No, it's not indigineous to ND, but isn't there something about the mythology of the phoenix that is kind of appropriate to this situation?

Given all the snowbirds from NoDak and Minnesota hanging out in Arizona, the logo could be an old man in tacky golf pants and a John Deere hat ... :lol:

The mjolnir would be a great SECONDARY logo!!! Just like the old double crossed tomahawks on the shoulders of the old sioux hockey jerseys. Replace the side profile of the indian head with the side profile of a viking (done by ben brien of course) (put the double crossed mjolnir on the shoulders) and replace the sioux name with the Norse name and all jerseys would stay the same. All the other norse mythology would be great marketing opportunities. Heck Dave St.Peter could ever bring Ragnar up for a game or two and we could even have a mascot for the first time since Thunder the Bleacher Creature (who was very popular for those two weeks he was around).

Heck Dave St.Peter could ever bring Ragnar up for a game or two and we could even have a mascot for the first time since Thunder the Bleacher Creature (who was very popular for those two weeks he was around).

UND graduate Dave St. Peter runs the Twins, not the Vikings (and their Ragnar guy).

Leave TC Bear at home. ;)

UND graduate Dave St. Peter runs the Twins, not the Vikings (and their Ragnar guy).

Leave TC Bear at home. ;)

my bad...i thought dave and ragnar were in the "und and me" commercial where the twins mascot sees him in his und shirt (and hanging around ragnar) and throws papers in the air? just rewatched it and its just dave and tc bear and two other dudes...no ragnar?

anyways i'm sure zigi could lend Ragnar to us on a saturday by leading us onto the field at the Alerus on his harley against Montana?

What about North Dakota "Spirit". It embodies the Spirit of the Fighting Sioux Spirit and the name could have meaning to our Native American brethren. It embodies the Spirit of those settlers and pioneers who braved the elements and killed Bison to survive the frozen cold of the prarie. Whether or not we make it the Fighting Spirit or simply Spirit could be food for thought.

Spirit would embody the Spirit of those who have come before us. Ira Friendberg. Red Jarrett. Jake Stocker. Fritz Pollard. Arjan Gelling. Not just Cliff Purpur but Al Purpur who took care of the athletic fields and the hockey arena when we played at the "old barn". The Pudenz sisters and Jenny Crouse and Sherry Kleinsasser. It would embody not only the spirit of John Noah and Ralph Englestad but also chester Fritz and Kenny Hyslop. It would embody the Spirit of the fans like the Burfennings and Jack Gray. It would remind us that guys like Jeff "Jeff-Jeff" Anderson who was the consumate Sioux fan and although had special needs was one of the first donors when money was raised for the first Englestad Arena. It would embody the Spirit of baseball players like Gary Royal and Corey Nyhus and the Koch brother and Bruce Daucsavage. The wrestlers and Swimmers and Cross Country and Track athletes who were All-Americans or simply role players who helped make those All Americans who they are. . It would embody the Spirit of those who have fought hard for the name and still fight for it. We could get Ben Brien the artist who did the logo to redo one with that Spirit in mind. If the NCAA were to ever relent we could revert back to the Fighting Sioux if we get the blessing of the tribes and an assurance we won't face penalties. In a way we stick it to the NCAA by incorporating the culture of all of those people of the state including Native Americans and our students, athletes, coaches and fans that have made this university and the athletic teams great.

The new Hockey conference needs to get a team in a warmer climate so I can move there. Too bad the Ralph can't be moved too

IF SL loses - Instead get the Chicago Blackhawks to bring in a AHL team & call them the Fighting Sioux & UND can lease them the Ralph, if or when they ever get the place

Then you Big Sky is falling types can be the Flaming Spirits or what ever the PC folks will allow :p

Another name for Mjolnir, the War Hammer? Maul.

"Let's go Maul" or "Maul 'em" kind of has a ring to it. :D