SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

I'm one of the crazy few who wouldn't mind Flickertails. I don't necessarily like the name Flickertails, but since it was a former moniker of ours, it would kind of make the nickname thing come full circle. I hate the idea that we'd essentially be another name for Gopher, though.

I'm one of the crazy few who wouldn't mind Flickertails. I don't necessarily like the name Flickertails, but since it was a former moniker of ours, it would kind of make the nickname thing come full circle. I hate the idea that we'd essentially be another name for Gopher, though.

That is my reason for not liking Flickertails....I would rather be a Roughrider (remember I am a GFC alumn) than a Flickertail.

(WARNING: Self-serving post follows.)

I like my new signature, follow the link to learn what the word means. ;)

That word would work with the UND "flame" logo, but I'd also like to see a new burning stick logo (as a torch or a weapon) designed just for athletics.

And I like the notion of being "somebody with a strong or aggressive personality who encourages unrest".

And we'd forever get to say ... Fire. Brand. :devil:

• 3 weeks later...

That word would work with the UND "flame" logo, but I'd also like to see a new burning stick logo (as a torch or a weapon) designed just for athletics.

And I like the notion of being "somebody with a strong or aggressive personality who encourages unrest".

Torch 'em.

Torch 'em.

The definition is cool and definitely unique but it just doesn't roll of the tip of your tongue. How about the Blaze or Blazers?

The definition is cool and definitely unique but it just doesn't roll of the tip of your tongue. How about the Blaze or Blazers?

Blaze or Blazers would be too easily negatively-connotated by some parties.

The official name could be Firebrand, but in practicality we'd be known as "The Torch".

I propose only current and actual graduates of UND get to vote on the new name.

I think you would miss some big "stakeholders", that are major contributors. For instance, did Wes Rydell graduate from UND? For all I know he did, but I'm sure there are others who are big time contributors to UND athletics that would be left out.

I think you would miss some big "stakeholders", that are major contributors. For instance, did Wes Rydell graduate from UND? For all I know he did, but I'm sure there are others who are big time contributors to UND athletics that would be left out.

dont forget the "small time" contributors(season ticket holders)!!!!
  • Upvote 1

Because you give money your voice counts more?

I propose only current and actual graduates of UND get to vote on the new name.

With that statement you miss:

- current students who have not graduated

- stakeholders who may or may not have attended or graduated

- faculty (oh, wait, see the "Uncle Rico Rule" above :D )

- staff

I know folks who should vote, for example PCM, who's done a lot for UND Hockey with his USCHO writing, who wouldn't be able to vote under a "graduates only" mindset. That mindset = FAIL.

- staff

I know folks who should vote, for example PCM, who's done a lot for UND Hockey with his USCHO writing, who wouldn't be able to vote under a "graduates only" mindset. That mindset = FAIL.

The fact that he writes for Uscho/cesspool should warrant automatic exclusion. :D

- staff

Reading problems? I said current students followed by graduates. My point is that it can not be put up as a public vote. Limits need to be outlined as to who will vote or all you will have is a big mess. From all of posters responces the difficulty of picking and chosing who votes becomes as I said too messy. Stakeholders is too broad of a term. Faculty is too broad is too broad of a term. Small stakeholders, such as season ticketholders, somewhat limited in scope though still too broad. To make it simple the only way is to only allow current students and actual graduates to choose. As for Uncle Rico's comment saying anti-logo people shoul not get a voice, and all those who agree with him, how much more sophmoric can you be? Some here scream how SR voices are not being heard and should get to vote while they wish to deny others their right to vote, hypocricy?

Reading problems? I said current students followed by graduates. My point is that it can not be put up as a public vote. Limits need to be outlined as to who will vote or all you will have is a big mess. From all of posters responces the difficulty of picking and chosing who votes becomes as I said too messy. Stakeholders is too broad of a term. Faculty is too broad is too broad of a term. Small stakeholders, such as season ticketholders, somewhat limited in scope though still too broad. To make it simple the only way is to only allow current students and actual graduates to choose. As for Uncle Rico's comment saying anti-logo people shoul not get a voice, and all those who agree with him, how much more sophmoric can you be? Some here scream how SR voices are not being heard and should get to vote while they wish to deny others their right to vote, hypocricy?

Someone here says that only current students or graduates of UND should vote, while denying the vote to season ticket holders, donators and casual fans. That also seems a bit hypocritical.

Someone here says that only current students or graduates of UND should vote, while denying the vote to season ticket holders, donators and casual fans. That also seems a bit hypocritical.

I am not proposing this to be malicious as Rico is, there is the difference. I am proposing trying to keep it orderly. As lakesioux said they pay taxes so they should get to vote also, there are people younger than 18 who pay property taxes that do not get to vote. I pay property taxes in two counties but only get to vote in one. Have it on a statewide ballot? Bad idea if there ever was one. Just think about it Jay. The only way to keep the process orderly is to only give ballots to current students and graduates. It is not like this is some big democratic issue for everyone to vote on.