SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

no new nickname, just be North Dakota and use the interlocking ND forever; almost forces people to refer to us as the team that used to be Sioux

As I've said time and time again, someone will fill the void (and more than likely someone without UND's best interests in mind).

Control what's your to control.

no new nickname, just be North Dakota and use the interlocking ND forever; almost forces people to refer to us as the team that used to be Sioux

Many school nicknames in use today were started by people outside the school. A lot of them were first used by newspaper reporters. While writing stories about games it gets real boring to always say North Dakota. So they are going to find something else to use. Or other groups, like fans of other schools, may decide to use a name of some kind in chants. There is a pretty good chance that one of these names will catch on and others will use it. As tSic has said, control what you can. It is better for UND to come up with a new name rather than letting someone else attach a name that is less flattering.

Many school nicknames in use today were started by people outside the school. A lot of them were first used by newspaper reporters. While writing stories about games it gets real boring to always say North Dakota. So they are going to find something else to use. Or other groups, like fans of other schools, may decide to use a name of some kind in chants. There is a pretty good chance that one of these names will catch on and others will use it. As tSic has said, control what you can. It is better for UND to come up with a new name rather than letting someone else attach a name that is less flattering.

Not that it would be horrible, but I can imagine reporters/broadcasters using the name Nodaks when calling a game. It would be better than some that I care not to imagine.

Own the name you want, not the one someone who doesn't have UND's best interest at heart hanging their name for you around your neck.

Not that it would be horrible, but I can imagine reporters/broadcasters using the name Nodaks when calling a game. It would be better than some that I care not to imagine.

Own the name you want, not the one someone who doesn't have UND's best interest at heart hanging their name for you around your neck.

Nodaks would be one of the first. But if you read the beginnings of sports nicknames it can get very interesting. Sometimes the nicknames changed multiple times within a short period until something stuck. The LA Dodgers nickname changed many times in the late 1800's and first 3 decades of the 1900's. Some of the college nicknames really had nothing to do with the school, just something that someone used. Fighting Irish is a great example. People assume that it was an Irish Catholic school. It never was. The school was started by a French Canadian priest. Theories on the origins of the nickname range from chants of competing fans because of the color of the uniforms, something a football coach said during a halftime speech because they had several Irish players, and possibly from the press. The school didn't go out and find it, it was given to them by someone else. When you get a nickname like that it isn't always flattering. Just look at some of the nicknames that kids get from their friends.

Nodaks would be one of the first. But if you read the beginnings of sports nicknames it can get very interesting. Sometimes the nicknames changed multiple times within a short period until something stuck. The LA Dodgers nickname changed many times in the late 1800's and first 3 decades of the 1900's. Some of the college nicknames really had nothing to do with the school, just something that someone used. Fighting Irish is a great example. People assume that it was an Irish Catholic school. It never was. The school was started by a French Canadian priest. Theories on the origins of the nickname range from chants of competing fans because of the color of the uniforms, something a football coach said during a halftime speech because they had several Irish players, and possibly from the press. The school didn't go out and find it, it was given to them by someone else. When you get a nickname like that it isn't always flattering. Just look at some of the nicknames that kids get from their friends.

I sort of like "NoDaks"...kind of like the Canucks. I wonder what a logo could be....since we are losing the best one in sports. Could it be Fighting NoDaks....or would all the current ND residents vote against that as well?

I sort of like "NoDaks"...kind of like the Canucks. I wonder what a logo could be....since we are losing the best one in sports. Could it be Fighting NoDaks....or would all the current ND residents vote against that as well?

The fighting part of Fighting Sioux only bothered a small group that thought it marginalized the tribes. I doubt that very many people would care whether fighting was added or not. It would be similar to Fighting Illini which was originally a tribute to Illinois residents that fought in World War I. It was almost a decade after the name was first used before any Native American imagery was attached to the name. That is why the Fighting Illini were allowed to keep the name, they removed the NA imagery and took the name back to its roots as more of a tribute to Illinois veterans.

If and when UND gets a new nickname and logo....should UND get a mascot? A mascot could be fun for the kids plus it doesn't necessarily have to do with the team name like the Cleveland Indians mascot Slider and the old UND mascot...Thunder the Bleacher Creature (which I would love to see make a comeback!!)

If and when UND gets a new nickname and logo....should UND get a mascot? A mascot could be fun for the kids plus it doesn't necessarily have to do with the team name like the Cleveland Indians mascot Slider and the old UND mascot...Thunder the Bleacher Creature (which I would love to see make a comeback!!)

I wouldn't be opposed to the idea, and it can be a great marketing tool. But it probably depends on what a new nickname would be and how the mascot would work with the name and logo. It may be easier to have a mascot if the nickname isn't related to any humans past or present.

I wouldn't be opposed to the idea, and it can be a great marketing tool. But it probably depends on what a new nickname would be and how the mascot would work with the name and logo. It may be easier to have a mascot if the nickname isn't related to any humans past or present.

nickname--fighting norse

logo--side profile of a norse warrior (done by bennett brien)

mascot--someone that looks like thor walking around dressed like a viking with a mjolnir

let's do it

I admit I haven't read the entire thread (so it's possible this one has been suggested before):

How come no one is talking about using "Oilers" for a name? As a kid, I followed the Houston Oilers and always thought it was a cool name.

I admit I haven't read the entire thread (so it's possible this one has been suggested before):

How come no one is talking about using "Oilers" for a name? As a kid, I followed the Houston Oilers and always thought it was a cool name.

I like that one.

That thing was an embarrassment to the University

I like the idea but the oil fields are on the other side of the state and are not anything many students will be able to relate to.

It is still in ND and many western kids go to UND. Oilers is actually the only one I have liked...although Nodaks is cool (although sounds kind of odd when saying the entire school name). I really do not like Norse/Norseman/Fighting Norseman. There are too many other nationalities in ND (German, etc).