SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

I propose only current and actual graduates of UND get to vote on the new name.

Reading problems? I said current students followed by graduates.

No, you didn't.

You said, and I quote, " ... current and actual graduates ... " which as written means current-and-actual graduates, or living graduates. (Words mean things.)

You did not say "current students and actual graduates".

My reading is fine.

How's your writing? ;)

I am not proposing this to be malicious as Rico is, there is the difference. I am proposing trying to keep it orderly. As lakesioux said they pay taxes so they should get to vote also, there are people younger than 18 who pay property taxes that do not get to vote. I pay property taxes in two counties but only get to vote in one. Have it on a statewide ballot? Bad idea if there ever was one. Just think about it Jay. The only way to keep the process orderly is to only give ballots to current students and graduates. It is not like this is some big democratic issue for everyone to vote on.

Rod, I agree that a statewide ballot is a bad idea, but there has to be a way to be more inclusive than just graduates and students. I'm sure from a combination of Twamley (current students), the Alumni Association (graduates) and the Athletic Department (season ticket holder, stakeholders and donations) a nice list could be created of voters. This is not meant to be a complete list, as I'm sure I'm missing someone.

No, you didn't.

You said, and I quote, " ... current and actual graduates ... " which as written means current-and-actual graduates, or living graduates. (Words mean things.)

You did not say "current students and actual graduates".

My reading is fine.

How's your writing? ;)

My bad and apologies to you. :blush:

Rod, I agree that a statewide ballot is a bad idea, but there has to be a way to be more inclusive than just graduates and students. I'm sure from a combination of Twamley (current students), the Alumni Association (graduates) and the Athletic Department (season ticket holder, stakeholders and donations) a nice list could be created of voters. This is not meant to be a complete list, as I'm sure I'm missing someone.

That is the problem with making a list of voters someone will be forgotten. How can a list be made of non-students? A (season ticket holder, big donator), gets to vote but B does not? B (emotional stakeholder like many posters here) will be mad then. The only easy way out of this mess is to limit voting to my suggested groups. That way everyone who is not a student, or graduate, will all be mad togther instead of creating classes of voters. One could equate this even to student government elections. Alumni, taxpayers, etc. all could say they have a vested interest in the outcome but only students get to vote, and not many even bother (less than 10% voted in the last election). I am not trying to create a problem with my suggestion. I am trying to avoid a large problem that will occur if the vote is not limited to my suggested groups. I can understand how the people I left out would be upset for not getting to vote for a name of something they love and hold in high esteem, I would be also if I was one of them. But they probably would get left out anyhow in the process for not being part of the A group. That is why I suggest that the A group should be left out also. Poll taxes are not allowed in the US and that is what would happen if A got to vote and B did not. I know by only allowing my suggested groups to vote it is easy to argue that they paid a poll tax to vote also. There lies the still lingering dilema, but it is the only way out that I can see. I'm open to suggestions to what others think. In those suggestions though, cover all the bases and ramifications of your suggestions please.

That is the problem with making a list of voters someone will be forgotten. How can a list be made of non-students? A (season ticket holder, big donator), gets to vote but B does not? B (emotional stakeholder like many posters here) will be mad then. The only easy way out of this mess is to limit voting to my suggested groups. That way everyone who is not a student, or graduate, will all be mad togther instead of creating classes of voters. One could equate this even to student government elections. Alumni, taxpayers, etc. all could say they have a vested interest in the outcome but only students get to vote, and not many even bother (less than 10% voted in the last election). I am not trying to create a problem with my suggestion. I am trying to avoid a large problem that will occur if the vote is not limited to my suggested groups. I can understand how the people I left out would be upset for not getting to vote for a name of something they love and hold in high esteem, I would be also if I was one of them. But they probably would get left out anyhow in the process for not being part of the A group. That is why I suggest that the A group should be left out also. Poll taxes are not allowed in the US and that is what would happen if A got to vote and B did not. I know by only allowing my suggested groups to vote it is easy to argue that they paid a poll tax to vote also. There lies the still lingering dilema, but it is the only way out that I can see. I'm open to suggestions to what others think. In those suggestions though, cover all the bases and ramifications of your suggestions please.

Group B could make a donation to UND Athletics and be put on the list. The donation could be as small as $10.

I believe poll taxes are illegal only in Federal elections, per the 24th Amendment.

Let's just use a random name generator. It's bound to produce a better result than some santized, generic non-offensive name from the various "stakeholders", whomever they may be. "Here come your University of North Dakota Flying Mules!!!!" :ohmy::lol:

Oh, I love that one. I've been pushing for the "University of North Dakota Screaming Weasels". Oh, to hope and dream! :lol:

However, because I have decided on this board I will never use the "S" word anymore for UND, I will also add a boycott of the "B" word for little brother, NDSU to the south of the flagship university. After three years (or if the S name comes back), I will choose a new nickname for NDSU. And, it won't be pretty! :devil:

Oh, I love that one. I've been pushing for the "University of North Dakota Screaming Weasels". Oh, to hope and dream! :lol:

However, because I have decided on this board I will never use the "S" word anymore for UND, I will also add a boycott of the "B" word for little brother, NDSU to the south of the flagship university. After three years (or if the S name comes back), I will choose a new nickname for NDSU. And, it won't be pretty! :devil:

Do you want me to notify NDSU of this eath shattering news? I am sure they will be crushed.

Group B could make a donation to UND Athletics and be put on the list. The donation could be as small as $10.

I believe poll taxes are illegal only in Federal elections, per the 24th Amendment.

If they had to donate to vote that would meet the requirement of a poll tax per se.

Harper v. Virginia State Board of Elections

• In the 1966 case of "Harper v. Virginia State Board of Elections," the Supreme Court supported the 24th amendment by noting that poll taxes are a violation of the equal protection clause of the Constitution.

Read more: Poll Taxes Definition | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_6761770_poll-taxes-definition.html#ixzz1kb0lxWZf

Hence why I think the way that I do about this. To prevent a problem just let group C (current students and graduates) vote.

If they had to donate to vote that would meet the requirement of a poll tax per se.

Harper v. Virginia State Board of Elections

• In the 1966 case of "Harper v. Virginia State Board of Elections," the Supreme Court supported the 24th amendment by noting that poll taxes are a violation of the equal protection clause of the Constitution.

Read more: Poll Taxes Definition | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/...l#ixzz1kb0lxWZf

Hence why I think the way that I do about this. To prevent a problem just let group C (current students and graduates) vote.

...the Supreme Court extended this prohibition to state elections
I don't believe a vote for UND's new nickname would constitute a "state election" I doubt that the Secretary of State for North Dakota is going to preside over the vote.

I don't believe a vote for UND's new nickname would constitute a "state election" I doubt that the Secretary of State for North Dakota is going to preside over the vote.

I agree with you on this. Though it would/could be considered a state election of sorts being that UND is a state institution. As you said about the $10 donation to get on the voting list as a donor could lead to a lawsuit that would cost UND/state money and they would lose citing the 24th as you said. That is why I think when you look at all the possible ramifications of trying to decide who gets to vote the only answer as Joshua said is, "not to play".

I agree with you on this. Though it would/could be considered a state election of sorts being that UND is a state institution. As you said about the $10 donation to get on the voting list as a donor could lead to a lawsuit that would cost UND/state money and they would lose citing the 24th as you said. That is why I think when you look at all the possible ramifications of trying to decide who gets to vote the only answer as Joshua said is, "not to play".

Love that movie.