SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Just as long as it's not the Hawks, as in Global Hawks... USAF is dumping the program.

Yes and no. According to the reports I've read they are dropping the Global Hawk Block 30 program. That was supposed to replace the U2 spy planes. The Grand Forks Air Force Base has two Block 20's (they were supposed to get 2 more but I don't know if the latest development will affect that) and is supposed to get a total of at least ten Block 40's. They received either the second or third Block 40 in December. The Block 40 program is still a go as of this afternoon. Homeland Security also has 2 Predators stationed at GFAFB.

Yes and no. According to the reports I've read they are dropping the Global Hawk Block 30 program. That was supposed to replace the U2 spy planes. The Grand Forks Air Force Base has two Block 20's (they were supposed to get 2 more but I don't know if the latest development will affect that) and is supposed to get a total of at least ten Block 40's. They received either the second or third Block 40 in December. The Block 40 program is still a go as of this afternoon. Homeland Security also has 2 Predators stationed at GFAFB.

Yes... but as you may know, it's a slippery slope. Appears the Marines/Navy are keeping their Block 20s for now. I have some queries in to GFAFB as well as some friends on the Air Staff and at USDI.

Yes... but as you may know, it's a slippery slope. Appears the Marines/Navy are keeping their Block 20s for now. I have some queries in to GFAFB as well as some friends on the Air Staff and at USDI.

The other problem is that they are looking at 2 more BRAC rounds. Either one of them could just kill the GFAFB. That would change everything.

The definition is cool and definitely unique but it just doesn't roll of the tip of your tongue. How about the Blaze or Blazers?

I know it is not a popular choice, but Blazers, as in Trailblazers, gives a nod to the Lewis & Clark history of the state. There are several better nicknames, but I am willing to wager that Trailblazers is better that whatever PC color* or weather phenomena the Kelly committee comes up with.

* like Stanford Cardinal and Harvard Crimson, cough cough, North Dakota Kelly (as in kelly green): gag! :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had a difficult time coming up with names to replace the “Fighting Sioux”, unfortunately all fail in comparison. However, I believe a name with some link to the waterfowl hunting in our area would be appropriate. It’s too bad Oregon has taken the “Ducks” because it is a wonderful logo… perhaps something like the “______ Geese” or “Hunters” would work. (is there a name for those who hunted bison back in the day? ;))

It might be since Dakota is the name of a tribe. Plus it sounds strange. But Dakotans would probably be OK.

This is why the whole situation is rather comical. Our University is still named after a Sioux tribe regardless of what the PC’s hope to accomplish with the death of our historic logo. They plan to place sanctions on us even with the (possible) implementation of a state law, making it illegal to be anything but the Sioux. They might as well make us change the name of our university as well. Same logic really….

• Upvote 2

This is why the whole situation is rather comical. Our University is still named after a Sioux tribe regardless of what the PC’s hope to accomplish with the death of our historic logo. They plan to place sanctions on us even with the (possible) implementation of a state law, making it illegal to be anything but the Sioux. They might as well make us change the name of our university as well. Same logic really….

All of that has been discussed to death. And rehashing it really doesn't accomplish anything. The situation is what it is. The choice now is keep the nickname and accept the sanctions, or lose the nickname and avoid the sanctions. The only thing that could change this dynamic would be Spirit Lake winning their lawsuit, and that won't be decided for at least a couple of years.

Would the University of North Dakota - Dakota be hostile and abusive?

We could be the Fighting Dakotan's since technically its our state. Just like Fighting Illini. I don't know what logo would be appropriate if we were the Dakotans that didn't have an Indian reference.

The main thing that I loved about the Fighting Sioux logo was that it was entirely unique. There are a lot of institutions using the same the logo and mascots like the Huskies, Eagles, Trojans, Aggies, and Bison. But only one Fighting Sioux, it set us apart and said that we are a university worthy of our own personal identity. I agree with you, that keeping the logo could very possibly spell certain doom for UND athletics. However, could we forego a nickname and logo for a period of time in order to find something unique and worthy of UND? Just my opinion.

Are you serious? You got the Blackhawks logo along with the Notre Dame logo. How is that unique????

Are you serious? You got the Blackhawks logo along with the Notre Dame logo. How is that unique? ???

Once upon a time we shared the Blackhawks logo, the latest sioux logo by Brien is without a doubt unique. We do however still share the interlocking ND with the Irish. Now back to Bisonville with you!