SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

OK, 82SiouxGuy, I'll try to find some smaller-school logos and see if anything really sticks in the collective heads here as a great idea for branding vs "ND"...

northern.colorado.bears_.logo_.jpg

How about Northern Colorado?

Average Joe:       oooh.... scary bear!!!  i'm definitely going to start donating huge sums of money to and buying thousands in merchandise from this school!  

OK, 82SiouxGuy, I'll try to find some smaller-school logos and see if anything really sticks in the collective heads here as a great idea for branding vs "ND"...

northern.colorado.bears_.logo_.jpg

How about Northern Colorado?

2504.gif

James Madison University?

Much better comparisons.  I don't think any of them is really well done.  Bears is a pretty generic name.  I count 30 different schools using Bears if you count schools that use adjectives like Black Bears or Battlin' Bears (Rocky Mountain College in Billings).  Dukes is only used by 1 other school, but it doesn't jump out at you from the logo.  That could be a King or a Bulldog.  I had to look it up because I couldn't remember that James Madison was the Dukes.  As far as the UW Milwaukee Panthers, again you have a name that is far from unique (38 schools), but the logo at least represents the nickname.  So I would consider all of these average at best.  But they are still better than having no nickname or having a logo that is mistaken for a well known school like Notre Dame.  And choosing a unique name, one of the main criteria, would help differentiate UND from everyone else.

Western_Illinois_sweep_Rocky_head_3C_key

Great nickname.  Logo doesn't jump out at you unless you know the back story.  The Leathernecks nickname and the bulldog logo (Marine's mascot) are used with the permission of the US Marine Corp and have been since 1927.  So they are probably pretty popular with WIU supporters, but the logo alone doesn't stand out for people that don't know it.

Much better comparisons. Dukes is only used by 1 other school, but it doesn't jump out at you from the logo. That could be a King or a Bulldog. I had to look it up because I couldn't remember that James Madison was the Dukes. As far as the UW Milwaukee Panthers, again you have a name that is far from unique (38 schools), but the logo at least represents the nickname. So I would consider all of these average at best. But they are still better than having no nickname or having a logo that is mistaken for a well known school like Notre Dame. And choosing a unique name, one of the main criteria, would help differentiate UND from everyone else.

I guess we agree to disagree then because I would take ND over the old UNC logo, JMU, or Milwaukee any day of the week. NAU re-branded this past season as well and this is the best they could do:

LOUIE_SECONDARY_MARK_FULL_COLOR_WBG.jpg

That's just awful. The Village People are missing their Lumberjack.

• Upvote 3

I guess we agree to disagree then because I would take ND over the old UNC logo, JMU, or Milwaukee any day of the week. NAU re-branded this past season as well and this is the best they could do:

I would be willing to bet that the Lumberjack logo on tshirts outsell UND tshirts with the ND logo.  The ND logo doesn't excite anyone, but I would also bet that there are people that really like that Lumberjack logo.  And I have stuff with the ND logo, mainly just to keep supporting the school.

You're right about the WIU logo, that would help a lot.

Meanwhile...back at the Hall of Justice...

[\TedKnightInnerDialogue]

Now my Droid is covered with coffee!

Why do I get the idea that the counsel of the LGTB has you on speed dial though?

I would be willing to bet that the Lumberjack logo on tshirts outsell UND tshirts with the ND logo.

I'd take that bet any day. But reading your posts with your keen spin on marketing you probably think you could sell ISIS flags in Israel too. For the UND rebranding to be successful it will still ultimately come down to what those who support UND in anyway shape or form feel about the new logo. Not what some 16 year old thug in Baltimore thinks is cool. The "ND" is recognizable past, current and future with anyone associated with UND. That will not be said for some lame goofy Sundog, Pride or Spirit logo that is just around the corner. What kind of logo would you suggest for Nodaks, Big Green or Force? You really think any logo you could come up with for those 3 nicknames would out sell just the "ND"?

So where was their diversity VP pointing out that this is a big white guy? 

It's difficult to compare and predict success when you're comparing "nickname" versus "no-nickname" in the abstract.  Give me a specific nickname, and I'll give you an opinion on whether it would be better for the University than having no nickname and keeping the existing logo.  I suspect most people would prefer having a new nickname if it's a nickname they don't hate and the logo is done well.  It's just that of the 64 remaining options, the vast majority of them are terrible.  Many are downright atrocious.  Having no nickname is vastly superior to most of the options still on the table. Thus, when people are looking at that dreadful list, "no nickname" is a very comforting option.  That's how I see it anyway. 

• Upvote 4

Great nickname. Logo doesn't jump out at you unless you know the back story. The Leathernecks nickname and the bulldog logo (Marine's mascot) are used with the permission of the US Marine Corp and have been since 1927. So they are probably pretty popular with WIU supporters, but the logo alone doesn't stand out for people that don't know it.

They should've had a bulldog with a marine hat on it.

It's difficult to compare and predict success when you're comparing "nickname" versus "no-nickname" in the abstract.  Give me a specific nickname, and I'll give you an opinion on whether it would be better for the University than having no nickname and keeping the existing logo.  I suspect most people would prefer having a new nickname if it's a nickname they don't hate and the logo is done well.  It's just that of the 64 remaining options, the vast majority of them are terrible.  Many are downright atrocious.  Having no nickname is vastly superior to most of the options still on the table. Thus, when people are looking at that dreadful list, "no nickname" is a very comforting option.  That's how I see it anyway. 

Well said.  In my last post I referenced 6 nicknames still in contention.......they suck as do a vast majority of the remaining 58.  The "ND" logo on its own is far and away superior than 62 of the nicknames still in the running.

Call me a homer, but I'm going with PCM's original suggestion of "Wild Nokota" ... Go Nokes. 

http://blog.siouxsports.com/2007/12/02/Nokota-state-horse-would-make-ideal-nickname/

Like they did for the old logo (when they locked Ben Brien in a room with a Chicago NHL jersey and didn't let him out until he had a drawn a new logo for UND), hand him this Poco album cover and lock Ben in a room again. 

1684334.jpg

PS - There's already a Nokota horse out front of Engelstad Arena today. 

635503491913490108-AP-Fighting-Sioux.jpg

• Upvote 2