SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

That was a fairly confusing couple of paragraphs by the GF Herald. My deciphering of it leads me to believe they are going to look at the reasoning for why it was excluded from the vote and it may have a chance to move on. My guess is that McDonald was clarifying the difference and Evans was confirming that someone was clueless on it.

Also not that it matters at this point, but interesting to see that "North Dakota" only received two supporting votes.

You are correct. I was at the meetings and McDonald was a little lost at first as to what Lowell was asking about.... McDonald thought he was asking about the tribe known as "Nakota," (mostly in Montana, with some small bands in western North Dakota), when in fact, Lowell was referring to "Nokota," the feral horse in western North Dakota. It seemed like McDonald had no idea what a "Nokota" was and it was the first time he had actually heard it mentioned. McDonald was listening in via teleconference, so maybe there was some technological reasons for the misunderstanding. It was UND's general counsel who was most adament that Nokota was too closely aligned with N.A. culture. Lowell disagreed vehemently, and I tend to agree with Lowell. General Counsel is interpreting things much too broadly here IMHO.

I see Bombers is on the list, and frankly, I could really dig that one.

"Bombs away!"  No way it makes it. I like it, and would have no problem with it.  Even with it meeting most criteria, there is no chance it makes it out of committee. (most know multiple reasons why, unfortunately)

You are correct. I was at the meetings and McDonald was a little lost at first as to what Lowell was asking about.... McDonald thought he was asking about the tribe known as "Nakota," (mostly in Montana, with some small bands in western North Dakota), when in fact, Lowell was referring to "Nokota," the feral horse in western North Dakota. It seemed like McDonald had no idea what a "Nokota" was and it was the first time he had actually heard it mentioned. McDonald was listening in via teleconference, so maybe there was some technological reasons for the misunderstanding. It was UND's general counsel who was most adament that Nokota was too closely aligned with N.A. culture. Lowell disagreed vehemently, and I tend to agree with Lowell. General Counsel is interpreting things much too broadly here IMHO.

So then how did Charging Nokota make it? I know 1 person voted for it but it seems extremely inconsistent how that one made it but Nokota didn't.

Three finalists?

Nodaks

Flickertails

North Stars

I threw North Stars in there as I think you could do some fun stuff with design.  I don't want flickertails either, and certainly nothing related to weather. Just looking at what has number of votes, and what might be something easily accepted. Other people's guesses and reasoning? Maybe we can have some indirect influence on process.

So then how did Charging Nokota make it? I know 1 person voted for it but it seems extremely inconsistent how that one made it but Nokota didn't.

They are looking into that right now. That's what Lowell and the committee asked the consultant to look into. Lowell was very confused why one would make it and the other did not. I agree with Lowell. We shall see what they decide.

Three finalists?

Nodaks

Flickertails

North Stars

I threw North Stars in there as I think you could do some fun stuff with design.  I don't want flickertails either, and certainly nothing related to weather. Just looking at what has number of votes, and what might be something easily accepted. Other people's guesses and reasoning? Maybe we can have some indirect influence on process.

Gross.

Thanks for the clarification.  Was roughly what I assumed though I wasn't aware that Evans was actually claiming they couldn't pick it because it sounded similar to something related to N.A. culture.  I assumed she was explaining what the reasoning may have been and not actually defending the reasoning.  As stated, makes no sense when Charging Nokotas was considered and made it through.  Wish I could say I was surprised.

In the interest of hoping some common sense will prevail I am going to further trim the list.....free of charge!

Aeronauts

yes, ok to move on....not great

Aeros

yes, ok to move on.....not great

Arctic Blaze

nope

Arctic Force

nope

Aurora

nope

Aviators

yes, ok to move on

Badlanders

yes, ok to move on....personally don't like it

Big Green

nope

Bison Slayers

nope

Blackhawks

yes, ok to move on....wanna see logo ideas

BLAZE

nope

BLAZING STARS

nope

BLIZZARD

nope

Blizzard Dogs

nope

Bombardiers

nope

Bombers

yes, ok to move on

Cavalry

yes, ok to move on....not a fan myself

Charging Nokota

nope

Drillers

yes, ok to move on

ENERGY

nope

Explorers

yes, ok to move on

Fighting Green

nope

Fighting Green Hawks

nope

Fighting Hawks

nope

Fire

nope

Flame

nope

Flames

nope

Flickertails

nope

Fliers

y-2

Force

nope

Force of North

nope

Global Hawks

nope

Green Bombers

nope

GREEN HAWKS

nope

GREEN PRIDE

nope

'Grey Hawks'

nope

Night Hawks

yes, ok to move on

Night Riders

nope

Nighthawks

yes, ok to move on

Nodak

nope

Nodaks

nope

North Dakota

yes, ok to move on...the leader in the clubhouse.

North Force

nope

North Stars

yes, ok to move on....#2

Northern Lights

nope

Prarie Hawks

yes, ok to move on.

Pride

nope

Riders

yes, ok to move on...not a fan myself

roughhriders

yes, ok to move on....not a fan myself

SNOW DOGS

nope

Snow Leopards

nope

Spirit

nope

STORM

nope

Sundog

nope

Sundogs

nope

Thunder Hawks

yes, ok to move on.....wanna see a logo

Warhawks

yes, ok to move on.....wanna see a logo

Warriors

yes, ok to move on

Warriors of the North

nope

Wings

nope

Wooly Mammoth

nope

fighting greens

nope

I am adding back in Roughnecks as it is better than all but 4 or 5 of these.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the clarification.  Was roughly what I assumed though I wasn't aware that Evans was actually claiming they couldn't pick it because it sounded similar to something related to N.A. culture.  I assumed she was explaining what the reasoning may have been and not actually defending the reasoning.  As stated, makes no sense when Charging Nokotas was considered and made it through.  Wish I could say I was surprised.

She may have been supplying reasons but it also sounded an awful lot like she was dissuading the group from going down that road (admittedly, even after Charging Nakota had already been accepted).  My problem with GC's interpretation of the NCAA settlement with UND is that there are other NCAA institutions that use nicknames/words that derive directly from N.A. culture and language.  i.e. University of Alaska-Fairbanks Nanooks (Inuit word for polar bear), UCONN Huskies (Inuit word for dogs kept by the Inuit people), University of Maryland Terrapins (Algonquin word for a type of turtle), and University of South Dakota Coyotes (Nahuatl root word for an animal that is prominent in N.A. folklore. The Nahua people are descendants of Azetcs in central Mexico.), University of Tennessee, Chattanooga Mocs (shortened from from the word moccasins) etc. I could go on.

It would seem GC is just doing her job, but IMHO, she is being too hypersensitive to the terms of the NCAA settlement regarding use of NCAA imagery in a nickname.  Maybe the thought is that, as has been shown before, because we decided to fight the NCAA, the rules are different for UND.

• Upvote 1

She may have been supplying reasons but it also sounded an awful lot like she was dissuading the group from going down that road (admittedly, even after Charging Nakota had already been accepted).  My problem with GC's interpretation of the NCAA settlement with UND is that there are other NCAA institutions that use nicknames/words that derive directly from N.A. culture and language.  i.e. University of Alaska-Fairbanks Nanooks (Inuit word for polar bear), UCONN Huskies (Inuit word for dogs kept by the Inuit people), University of Maryland Terrapins (Algonquin word for a type of turtle), and University of South Dakota Coyotes (Nahuatl root word for an animal that is prominent in N.A. folklore. The Nahua people are descendants of Azetcs in central Mexico.), University of Tennessee, Chattanooga Mocs (shortened from from the word moccasins) etc. I could go on.

It would seem GC is just doing her job, but IMHO, she is being too hypersensitive to the terms of the NCAA settlement regarding use of NCAA imagery in a nickname.  Maybe the thought is that, as has been shown before, because we decided to fight the NCAA, the rules are different for UND.

I agree with all of that, particularly your last two comments.  The rules are different but I think she's taking it a step too far.  I still think it is more of a general misunderstanding of the difference between the two more than anything.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Nokota(s) slip onto the final list.

• Upvote 1

In the interest of hoping some common sense will prevail I am going to further trim the list.....free of charge!

I am adding back in Roughnecks as it is better than all but 4 or 5 of these.

Out of that whole list I come out with "keepers" of just ...

Bombers
Cavalry
Charging Nokota
Night Hawks / Nighthawks
Riders
Roughhriders

And your personal add-in of Roughnecks
  • Upvote 2

I agree with all of that, particularly your last two comments.  The rules are different but I think she's taking it a step too far.  I still think it is more of a general misunderstanding of the difference between the two more than anything.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Nokota(s) slip onto the final list.

No kidding. If that's how she's interpreting things, how in the world do we keep the name of the State (North Dakota*) on the uniforms? 

*American Indian tribal name alert is sounding! 

I think most of us can agree that nearly all UND supporters would choose to retain the Fighting Sioux name. But, as this week's Big Sky warning letter indicates, baring an unlikely reversal at Standing Rock, we likely won't have that option without repercussions from the Big Sky Conference as well as the NCAA and other universities. We are now potentially facing being expelled from the BSC if we persist, which would be the deathblow for UND sports other than hockey. Now, we can sit back and let others choose our new name, or we can take the offensive and help take charge of our future. What name do we prefer?

Bring legal action against the NCAA for infringement of brand Identify, trademark and copywrite.  The cost of rebranding UND teams is enormous. A teams brand is a legal asset and destroying that asset is a crime. I would sue them for about $100,000,000 in damages. Get a restraining order. It will be held up in court for another 5 years. Another idea is to leave the Big Sky and join us the ECAC. **** the NCAA.

Dutchman, on 19 May 2015 - 11:10 AM, said:

Bring legal action against the NCAA for infringement of brand Identify, trademark and copywrite.  The cost of rebranding UND teams is enormous. A teams brand is a legal asset and destroying that asset is a crime. I would sue them for about $100,000,000 in damages. Get a restraining order. It will be held up in court for another 5 years. Another idea is to leave the Big Sky and join us the ECAC. **** the NCAA.

Well other than being years too late to the party and a settlement agreement signed by UND, the ECAC happens to be a NCAA conference so nothing changes.  Not to mention that it is a completely east coast conference, so why in the world would UND want to join a conference like that and why would they want UND?

What is snarky, sanctimonious or self-righteous about stating unpopular opinions about issues I care deeply about?  I am not one to play "follow the leader" or "going along to get along", as many other posters on this forum are.  So when people suggest UND chart a course that will harm it's programs and the people who make up those programs, I cannot stay silent.  I have totally ran out of patience for the "nickname at all costs" crowd in our fan base, many of whom are also members of the "hockey-only" fan club.

The health and well-being of our programs will in part be determined by how we resolve (or not resolve) this issue.

I really hate to say this because I love the Fighting Sioux nickname just as much as anyone else but its time the University picks a new nickname or just stay NORTH DAKOTA. I'm sick and tired of being a laughing stock in the news outlets over this.....

• Upvote 1

"Bombs away!"  No way it makes it. I like it, and would have no problem with it.  Even with it meeting most criteria, there is no chance it makes it out of committee. (most know multiple reasons why, unfortunately)

How about the UNABOMBERS?  

Or would having an N, and an A, together in the name get it disqualified by the Supreme Leader of the committee?  (no, not Karl) 

This whole process is enough to make me barf.  A large committee narrows down a list, but only the names that meet one person's approval, can be moved forward.   It's sort of like Kim Jong Un and his Parliament.  

the people who should have the least say into what the new, non-Sioux nickname is, are in fact wielding all the power.   No Arrows, no horses that have NA ties...     I'm not saying those were the best options but how some names are being eliminated is total BS.

• Upvote 1

It's making me nervous how many terriblue options are still being considered, and many getting a high number of votes.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sites/default/files/Nicknames-full%20list.pdf

Is this the latest list?  It seems like there's a page missing between G and N.

I'm really regretting that I didn't submit "Green Ermine Spirit Hawks".  

Honest question. I have often heard Nodaks used as a derogatory term for North Dakotans. Am I alone regarding this?

I've talked to others (not many) that feel the same. Thoughts?

I find the term neutral at very best; and yes, I've also heard it used with a less than positive connotation. I'm not a fan of it.