SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Honest question. I have often heard Nodaks used as a derogatory term for North Dakotans. Am I alone regarding this?

I've talked to others (not many) that feel the same. Thoughts?

I hadn't heard that per se, but I can think of another reason why I don't want that as a nickname.  Plenty of other fan bases would love to change it so it means "Missing male anatomy" if you catch my drift.

She may have been supplying reasons but it also sounded an awful lot like she was dissuading the group from going down that road (admittedly, even after Charging Nakota had already been accepted).  My problem with GC's interpretation of the NCAA settlement with UND is that there are other NCAA institutions that use nicknames/words that derive directly from N.A. culture and language.  i.e. University of Alaska-Fairbanks Nanooks (Inuit word for polar bear), UCONN Huskies (Inuit word for dogs kept by the Inuit people), University of Maryland Terrapins (Algonquin word for a type of turtle), and University of South Dakota Coyotes (Nahuatl root word for an animal that is prominent in N.A. folklore. The Nahua people are descendants of Azetcs in central Mexico.), University of Tennessee, Chattanooga Mocs (shortened from from the word moccasins) etc. I could go on.

It would seem GC is just doing her job, but IMHO, she is being too hypersensitive to the terms of the NCAA settlement regarding use of NCAA imagery in a nickname.  Maybe the thought is that, as has been shown before, because we decided to fight the NCAA, the rules are different for UND.

Sorry for repeating myself but we really just CANNOT not select a good name just because "well, someone might mistake it for...."   Come on....it's a legitimate nickname option NOT connected with anything on the naughty list.   People just have to quit niggling over these types of things.  

And yes, I used "niggling" for a reason.

Out of that whole list I come out with "keepers" of just ...

Bombers
Cavalry
Charging Nokota
Night Hawks / Nighthawks
Riders
Roughhriders

And your personal add-in of Roughnecks

I'd actually throw in Blackhawks too.  I am still struggling to find out why that made this final list, but I don't care.  Chicago may use it, but big deal.  It's actually a cool nickname and I'd take it, considering what the options are.

I hadn't heard that per se, but I can think of another reason why I don't want that as a nickname.  Plenty of other fan bases would love to change it so it means "Missing male anatomy" if you catch my drift.

Yeah, same reason I'm surprised that flickertails is still an option.   I can see the signs already with the space between "L" and "I" reduced just a bit more than the others.

F LI C K E R T A I L S

You are correct. I was at the meetings and McDonald was a little lost at first as to what Lowell was asking about.... McDonald thought he was asking about the tribe known as "Nakota," (mostly in Montana, with some small bands in western North Dakota), when in fact, Lowell was referring to "Nokota," the feral horse in western North Dakota. It seemed like McDonald had no idea what a "Nokota" was and it was the first time he had actually heard it mentioned. McDonald was listening in via teleconference, so maybe there was some technological reasons for the misunderstanding. It was UND's general counsel who was most adament that Nokota was too closely aligned with N.A. culture. Lowell disagreed vehemently, and I tend to agree with Lowell. General Counsel is interpreting things much too broadly here IMHO.

Good effin' grief!

You are correct. I was at the meetings and McDonald was a little lost at first as to what Lowell was asking about.... McDonald thought he was asking about the tribe known as "Nakota," (mostly in Montana, with some small bands in western North Dakota), when in fact, Lowell was referring to "Nokota," the feral horse in western North Dakota. It seemed like McDonald had no idea what a "Nokota" was and it was the first time he had actually heard it mentioned. McDonald was listening in via teleconference, so maybe there was some technological reasons for the misunderstanding. It was UND's general counsel who was most adament that Nokota was too closely aligned with N.A. culture. Lowell disagreed vehemently, and I tend to agree with Lowell. General Counsel is interpreting things much too broadly here IMHO.

Goes to show that letters behind your name (like PhD in the case of McDonald, or JD in the case of the general counsel) mean you're educated, but not necessarily smart or up to date. 

Goes to show that letters behind your name (like PhD in the case of McDonald, or JD in the case of the general counsel) mean you're educated, but not necessarily smart or up to date. 

Someone told me this about 15 years ago and it is still true today:

B.S. is well, BS.

M.S. is more of the same.

Ph.D. is Piled High and Deep.

:D

I hated Sundogs until a buddy sent me this.  Could actually make a pretty decent logo out of something similar.  Still, I prefer other options, but I guess it pays to keep an open mind

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNA7zaMg1AjerbG0yKixE1qcYu1cc0flkJHLi4KqZkqgJ32ohr

I tried pasting the image in but got a message the extension type is not allowed in this "community". 

Trimming the possibilities using just three inviolable rules:

No animals.

No inanimate objects.

No intangibles.

Aeronauts  Aeros Arctic Blaze Arctic Force Aurora Aviators Badlanders Big Green Bison Slayers Blackhawks BLAZE BLAZING STARS BLIZZARD Blizzard Dogs Bombardiers Bombers Cavalry Charging Nokota Drillers ENERGY Explorers Fighting Green Fighting Green Hawks Fighting Hawks Fire Flame Flames Flickertails Fliers Force Force of North Global Hawks Green Bombers GREEN HAWKS GREEN PRIDE 'Grey Hawks' Night Hawks  Night Riders Nighthawks Nodak Nodaks North Dakota North Force North Stars Northern Lights Prarie Hawks Pride Riders roughhriders SNOW DOGS Snow Leopards Spirit STORM Sundog Sundogs Thunder Hawks Warhawks Warriors Warriors of the North Wings Wooly Mammoth fighting greens

Not left with much - no nickname looks to be the best by quite a margin.  Badlanders (rhymes with highlander not with Lunar Lander, for those that might [willfully?] confuse it with having negative connotations for UND's aviation program) a distant second, but the only other real option, in my mind.

With the summer months around the corner and people heading to the lakes in swimsuits and Speedos, I expect B*g C*cks to make a push (no pun intended) into the final round of names.

You know what... we got 64 names

Lets seed them and spend the next 6 weeks voting. March Madness style

I really like the idea, but then you have to rank them so you don't have two better names in the second round.  If you rank them for the bracket though, you might as well just skip it and use the #1.  Right?

Trimming the possibilities using just three inviolable rules:

No animals.

No inanimate objects.

No intangibles.

Aeronauts  Aeros Arctic Blaze Arctic Force Aurora Aviators Badlanders Big Green Bison Slayers Blackhawks BLAZE BLAZING STARS BLIZZARD Blizzard Dogs Bombardiers Bombers Cavalry Charging Nokota Drillers ENERGY Explorers Fighting Green Fighting Green Hawks Fighting Hawks Fire Flame Flames Flickertails Fliers Force Force of North Global Hawks Green Bombers GREEN HAWKS GREEN PRIDE 'Grey Hawks' Night Hawks  Night Riders Nighthawks Nodak Nodaks North Dakota North Force North Stars Northern Lights Prarie Hawks Pride Riders roughhriders SNOW DOGS Snow Leopards Spirit STORM Sundog Sundogs Thunder Hawks Warhawks Warriors Warriors of the North Wings Wooly Mammoth fighting greens

Not left with much - no nickname looks to be the best by quite a margin.  Badlanders (rhymes with highlander not with Lunar Lander, for those that might [willfully?] confuse it with having negative connotations for UND's aviation program) a distant second, but the only other real option, in my mind.

Don't be crossing off my Warhawks! This can be a fighter jet as well!

You know what... we got 64 names

Lets seed them and spend the next 6 weeks voting. March Madness style

I like it; however, to ward off the foreseeable onslaught of folks who will vote not in UND's best interests (i.e. vote for the worst of the list), I hereby offer the notion of weighted voting.

The weighting? Number of posts here. ;):D 

I like it; however, to ward off the foreseeable onslaught of folks who will vote not in UND's best interests (i.e. vote for the worst of the list), I hereby offer the notion of weighted voting.

The weighting? Number of posts here. ;):D

Scary prospect - JohnboyND7 has 2,787 posts, and counting.  That would give Johnboy nearly 9 times the clout of ibleedgreen, even though ibleedgreen seems to want UND to succeed a lot more than Johnboy...