SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Here is the entire list of names that made the cut so far, with the number of votes

Aeronauts, 1

Aeros, 1

Arctic Blaze, 2

Arctic Force, 1

Aurora, 2

Aviators, 1

Badlanders, 1

Big Green, 4

Bison Slayers, 1

Blackhawks, 3

Blaze, 1

Blazing Stars, 1

Blizzard, 1

Blizzard Dogs, 1

Bombardiers, 1

Bombers, 1

Cavalry, 2

Charging Nokota, 1

Drillers, 1

Energy, 1

Explorers, 1

Fighting Green, 3

Fighting Green Hawks, 2

Fighting Hawks, 2

Fire, 2

Flame, 1

Flames, 4

Flickertails, 3

Fliers, 2

Force, 6

Force of North, 2

Global Hawks, 1

Green Bombers, 1

Green Hawks, 2

Green Pride 1

Grey Hawks, 1

Oh boy.  Not too optimistic after seeing this.

What the - where's Ermines?  Ermines is better than every name on that list. That has to be a mistake.

Looking at the list, are we sure that's not the "terrible names" list?  Half of those don't even come close to meeting the scoring criteria.

I didn't stay at a HI Express last night but I know cluster**** when I see one.

Bison Slayers?

Article Blaze?

Green anything?

Blizzard Dogs?

How in any way, shape or form can this be seen as a legitimate means to a respectable end?

Looking at the timing of the meeting and the results, it's clear that the committee did not use the scoring criteria at all.  They averaged about 15 seconds per name and just voted for stuff that they liked.  The process totally got derailed.

I didn't stay at a HI Express last night but I know cluster**** when I see one.

Bison Slayers?

Article Blaze?

Green anything?

Blizzard Dogs?

How in any way, shape or form can this be seen as a legitimate means to a respectable end?

Bison slayers...Indians are going to love that one.

Bison slayers...Indians are going to love that one.

I would think that they wouldn't be fond of "cavalry", either.  That would be a funny call to hear from the university to the Native American groups.  "Hey, tribespeople, we took your name off our uniforms and replaced it with the people we paid to shoot at you.  How does that sound?"

Where did this list arise from?  I'm not seeing a link, so I'm hoping it's just a joke.

Looking at the timing of the meeting and the results, it's clear that the committee did not use the scoring criteria at all.  They averaged about 15 seconds per name and just voted for stuff that they liked.  The process totally got derailed.

They are using the scoring system next round. Try and keep up.

• Upvote 1

They aren't doing any scoring at this point.  They are weeding out the name.  To move on, a name needed to receive a single vote, no reasoning needed to be given.  They will work on the whittled down list from there.

For a marketing expert or whatever, you sure aren't great at understanding how processes that have already been laid out work.

• Upvote 1

I would think that they wouldn't be fond of "cavalry", either.  That would be a funny call to hear from the university to the Native American groups.  "Hey, tribespeople, we took your name off our uniforms and replaced it with the people we paid to shoot at you.  How does that sound?"

Where did this list arise from?  I'm not seeing a link, so I'm hoping it's just a joke.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/3739732-choosing-und-nickname-current-list-eligible-ineligible-names

• Upvote 1

I would think that they wouldn't be fond of "cavalry", either.  That would be a funny call to hear from the university to the Native American groups.  "Hey, tribespeople, we took your name off our uniforms and replaced it with the people we paid to shoot at you.  How does that sound?"  Where did this list arise from?  I'm not seeing a link, so I'm hoping it's just a joke.

If Sioux = bad. Opposite of Sioux = good. Only makes sense.

• Upvote 2