SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

I tried to submit it. I'm not sure if my computer went thru

That's why the gobc is not happy

Wait a minute ... you just said the %gobc is on the committee. You can still ermine, I mean weasel it in that way. :D 

We have one member on it

And possibly one guy that wants in the gobc that's on the committee. Too. We will see how he acts

So far isn't impressing anyone

Question for you.  If Big Cocks didn't get submitted by you because of a computer error, why didn't the 1 member of the GOBC who's on the committee add it to the list before the list became public?  One would think that wouldn't be so hard to do, especially since it was such an important issue and the name the GOBC was pulling for?

Or better yet...why wouldn't the 1 member on the committee who wants to be in the GOBC add it to prove him/herself?  And that begs another question...are women allowed in the GOBC?

FightingFalcons.png

Logo submitted back in 2010 for the Port Huron Fighting Falcons of the NAHL.  Logo was scrapped because it looked too similar to work done by Mike Ivall (as commissioned by the Chicago Blackhawks)...

MikeIvall-ChiLogo.png

Source:  http://icethetics.squarespace.com/old-concepts/2010/1/6/heading-out-west.html

So Blakhawks is still in the running.  I am curious to what a Bennet Brien design modified Sioux logo would look like using this same idea!! The name may be different, but if the logo is similar, then I think it would be more accepting!!

There are no chicks in our club

I figured so.  Just wanted to make sure.

Can you please address my other questions?  I'd really like to know.  I'll repost them here for you:

If Big Cocks didn't get submitted by you because of a computer error, why didn't the 1 member of the GOBC who's on the committee add it to the list before the list became public?  One would think that wouldn't be so hard to do, especially since it was such an important issue and the name the GOBC was pulling for?

Or better yet...why wouldn't the 1 member on the committee who wants to be in the GOBC add it to prove himself?

What they figured out is that can continue to yell Fighting Sioux because there will be nothing to compete with it. Read the comments on any article or even the suggestion list.

People will still be yelling Fighting Sioux for years to come regardless. I think it's a good sign now that the process has started, more people are beginning to realize how fatally flawed this entire exercise is.

Keep it as North Dakota. Dress up the interlocking logo with a few variations. For those in love with Teddy Roosevelt, make him a mascot. Or other people or things North Dakota-ish, make them mascots. There are lots of possibilities with just staying North Dakota.

People will still be yelling Fighting Sioux for years to come regardless. I think it's a good sign now that the process has started, more people are beginning to realize how fatally flawed this entire exercise is.

Keep it as North Dakota. Dress up the interlocking logo with a few variations. For those in love with Teddy Roosevelt, make him a mascot. Or other people or things North Dakota-ish, make them mascots. There are lots of possibilities with just staying North Dakota.

We already are North Dakota, the University of North Dakota. 

I swear some people think that team that plays in the NCHC in Engelstad Arena is a sovereign entity and not the University of North Dakota's entrant into NCAA Division I ice hockey. 

Hint to those blinded by a nickname and logo: It is the University of North Dakota's entrant into NCAA Division I ice hockey. They already are "North Dakota". Nicknaming the team "North Dakota" is straight out of the Department of Redundancy Department. 

• Upvote 3

We already are North Dakota, the University of North Dakota. 

I swear some people think that team that plays in the NCHC in Engelstad Arena is a sovereign entity and not the University of North Dakota's entrant into NCAA Division I ice hockey. 

Hint to those blinded by a nickname and logo: It is the University of North Dakota's entrant into NCAA Division I ice hockey. They already are "North Dakota". Nicknaming the team "North Dakota" is straight out of the Department of Redundancy Department. 

They wouldn't be the University of North Dakota North Dakota; They would be the University of North Dakota. Could be the University of North Dakota NoDaks, if you really want another word there. This isn't rocket science, people who want North Dakota aren't looking for redundancy, they are looking to remain as we have for the past few seasons.

• Upvote 2

And this guy doesn't have much to prove.

I get that it's a secret deal.  However, the fact that you say members are supposed to be secret and the fact that you spout off about it doesn't really add up.  I have a feeling that the GOBC would "communicate" and "market" themselves more than enough without your drunken posts on SiouxSports.com.  It wouldn't have been that hard for that person to add the name to the list without being found out though, would it have?  It's not like he'd have had to proclaim "I'm in the GOBC and am going to add Big Cocks to the list" out loud to everyone!

I'm starting to think this is a farce, and you're making stuff up as you go.  You haven't had any credible inside info that's come to fruition lately and these latest nickname developments aren't helping your cause.

Agreed, you can remain North Dakota, and still come up with some sort of mascot. Minnesota Wild have Nordy. Personally not a fan of either the name or the mascot, but the concept works.

• Upvote 1

I get that it's a secret deal.  However, the fact that you say members are supposed to be secret and the fact that you spout off about it doesn't really add up.  I have a feeling that the GOBC would "communicate" and "market" themselves more than enough without your drunken posts on SiouxSports.com.  It wouldn't have been that hard for that person to add the name to the list without being found out though, would it have?  It's not like he'd have had to proclaim "I'm in the GOBC and am going to add Big Cocks to the list" out loud to everyone!

I'm starting to think this is a farce, and you're making stuff up as you go.  You haven't had any credible inside info that's come to fruition lately and these latest nickname developments aren't helping your cause.

I can't believe that with his HUGE salary, gfhockey can't afford a computer that can correctly submit things online.

• Upvote 1

Agreed, you can remain North Dakota, and still come up with some sort of mascot. Minnesota Wild have Nordy. Personally not a fan of either the name or the mascot, but the concept works.

You do realize that "Nordy" is designed to look like the Wild logo, yes? 

You do realize that "Nordy" is designed to look like the Wild logo, yes? 

Yeah, well the wild is a pretty indescript thing. My point is you can still have some sort of mascot, even if they do remain North Dakota. I'm just saying that if people are concerned about the marketing of the school and athletics purely based on nickname or lack there of, there are plenty of creative options. Options the school could spend plenty of money on if they were wasting so much on this current process.

I know that the GFH piece that first came out about the "weeding out" said that Arrows was eliminated because it is considered Native American imagery.  I am looking at the list of rejects in the latest GFH piece and I don't see Arrows listed.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/3739732-choosing-und-nickname-current-list-eligible-ineligible-names

Arrow is there, as is Arrowheads, but not Arrows.  Was this an oversight by the Herald or was there a change of position by the committee?

And yes, this is wishful thinking MafiaMan.

Arrowheads - Used by Native Americans

Nokota - Horses; Horses were used by Native Americans

Force - Native Americans could consider themselves a force.

Big Green - A Native American has wore the color green at some point in time.

Flickertail - Likely killed by a Native American at some point in time.

UND - Attended by Native Americans

This isn't looking good.

• Upvote 1

Uh ... there's a Native American on the selection committee. Toast.

Kind of like the abuse victim who dishonestly infiltrated the Knodlel jury......least it's no secret where he stands.