SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Looking at our roster next year, I think at least 7 of the 8 D on will be dressing every night to start the year, whether it be all 7 playing D, or one moving up to forward, whoever is not playing D (Stecher, Mattson etc) will be much too talented to be sitting each night.

Looking like Crisfield may no longer be a recruit. Heisenberg no longer has him listed as a recruit for us and his twitter profile no longer shows committed to the University of North Dakota.

Not a surprise really, doesn't seem like he has improved since he committed. He probably wouldn't have ever gotten consistent playing time here anyway.

Looking at our roster next year, I think at least 7 of the 8 D on will be dressing every night to start the year, whether it be all 7 playing D, or one moving up to forward, whoever is not playing D (Stecher, Mattson etc) will be much too talented to be sitting each night.

I think that very well could be the case, didn't some people talk about how Stecher would look at forward even before we got Ausmus. Stecher seems to be a very good skater with a lot of offensive skill and looks to maybe have the same type of versatility that Gleason provided.

I think that very well could be the case, didn't some people talk about how Stecher would look at forward even before we got Ausmus. Stecher seems to be a very good skater with a lot of offensive skill and looks to maybe have the same type of versatility that Gleason provided.

Versatility as in some passes were good and others were awful?

Herald article about Ausmus' commitment to UND

ā€œWhen Gwozdecky left, I didnā€™t think it was the best option for me anymore,ā€ Ausmus said.

After Denver hired Jim Montgomery as Gwozdeckyā€™s replacement, Ausmus re-considered going to Denver. He also considered Minnesota Duluth ā€” where his father played football ā€” but ultimately decided to stay home.

ā€œThey are losing (Andrew) MacWilliam and (Derek) Forbort, two physical, strong guys,ā€ said Ausmus, who is expected to be a late-round NHL draft pick in June. ā€œThey (the coaching staff) thought Iā€™d fit into that role really well.ā€

ā€œObviously, the coaching staff is second-to-none,ā€ Ausmus said. ā€œIā€™ve worked with Brad Berry before on my defensive abilities and I really liked what he had to say. Obviously, the tradition there is unbelievable and itā€™s my home.ā€

He said he's best friends with Keaton Thompson and that he also has strong ties to Poolman, Johnson, and LaDue, and all that factored into his decision as well..

Herald article about Ausmus' commitment to UND

He said he's best friends with Keaton Thompson and that he also has strong ties to Poolman, Johnson, and LaDue, and all that factored into his decision as well..

It also states that him and Thompson are living together next year. Safe to say they are both coming in.

Via Twitter, UND recruit Shane Gersich will be playing with the NTDP next season. Wouldn't be surprised if Poganski ended up with the U-18ers as well.

at first i shuddered when i read this but both guys are Minnesotans so i'm sure their commit to college is solid.

Via Twitter, UND recruit Shane Gersich will be playing with the NTDP next season. Wouldn't be surprised if Poganski ended up with the U-18ers as well.

Kind of figured Gersich wouldn't be playing high school hockey next year but figured he'd be with a USHL team rather than NTDP and even though I like to see these guys stay with their high school programs because it is better for Minnesota high school hockey in both these situations it is probably in their best interest to play at another level next season and probably even more so for Gersich rather than Poganski.

Ausmus? Awesome pickup!

Our d-corp next year is going to be VERY talented and VERY young.

Should be fun watching this group get better in the next couple seasons.

I say bring in all of them and watch them push each other for playing time. If one needs to be put up front to get ice time, so be it.

Ausmus? Awesome pickup!

Our d-corp next year is going to be VERY talented and VERY young.

Should be fun watching this group get better in the next couple seasons.

I say bring in all of them and watch them push each other for playing time. If one needs to be put up front to get ice time, so be it.

I'm still trying to figure out how the scholarship situation is working out.

The Forwards make sense:

subtract Kristo, Knight and Rowney

add Johnson, Tambellini and Murphy

The Defense doesn't:

subtract Gleason, Mac and Forbort

add LaDue, Thompson, Ausmus, Stetcher(?), Poolman(?)

Can players receive partial scholarships? For some reason I remember hearing that UND doesn't typically give there incoming freshman full scholarships unless they are a really special player (Toews, Parise). I could be making all of this up but I am pretty sure I heard that.

Can players receive partial scholarships? For some reason I remember hearing that UND doesn't typically give there incoming freshman full scholarships unless they are a really special player (Toews, Parise). I could be making all of this up but I am pretty sure I heard that.

As far as I know, no one gets a full ride to UND, not even guys like Jonny Toews.

Yes, some combination of athletic scholarship is usually used with financial aid and academic scholarships to bridge the gap.

Great pick up for UND on the back end. All those North Dakotans and Minnesotans on the team in the near future....wow...

Trivia question that I don't know the answer to:

~When was the last time a goal was scored by UND by a North Dakotan that was assisted by two other North Dakotans?

I'm still trying to figure out how the scholarship situation is working out.

The Forwards make sense:

subtract Kristo, Knight and Rowney

add Johnson, Tambellini and Murphy

The Defense doesn't:

subtract Gleason, Mac and Forbort

add LaDue, Thompson, Ausmus, Stetcher(?), Poolman(?)

Didn't Hakstol reduce the scholarships to St. Clair, Chyzk, and Gothberg after their recent underage-consumption citations?

Great pick up for UND on the back end. All those North Dakotans and Minnesotans on the team in the near future....wow...

Trivia question that I don't know the answer to:

~When was the last time a goal was scored by UND by a North Dakotan that was assisted by two other North Dakotans?

No idea but I'll venture a guess. Panzer from Phillion O'Connoll

Let's not forget that we have a lot more walk-ons than we had in the past with guys like Pattyn, Gaarder, Sanderson and possibly Senkbeil and Mitch MacMillan. Sure those guys are probably getting some money now, but still probably not a substantial amount for approximately a fifth of the team. Pattyn came in when Miller decomitted late, and I think Gaarder came in with the loss of Bruneteau and Cichy who had scholarship money. Add to that the loss of Matteau and Koules as well. We probably had some catching up to do because the coaches didn't want to just throw money around trying to replace high end players. Probably wanted to use that scholarship money for "finds" like Ausmus.

18 scholarships can be divided many ways...guys liek Toewser and Parise had full rides FOR SURE...we are not that special that guys will incur debt just to play here...

Not sure why you quoted me. I'm just saying that academic scholarships will be included in that limit of 18. You can't get around NCAA limits by simply awarding academic scholarships.

I do know that at one time it was quite common at UND to get a "75%" scholarship broken down as follows: yr 1, 50%; yr 2, 50%; yr 3, 100%; yr 4, 100%

Not sure why you quoted me. I'm just saying that academic scholarships will be included in that limit of 18. You can't get around NCAA limits by simply awarding academic scholarships.

I do know that at one time it was quite common at UND to get a "75%" scholarship broken down as follows: yr 1, 50%; yr 2, 50%; yr 3, 100%; yr 4, 100%

agree- meant to quote your quote

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits