SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Here's the recruit profile for goaltender Matt Hrynkiw:

http://atraditionofe...tt-hrynkiw.html

One thing that became very evident when putting this together is that Hrynkiw is consistently very good. During four of his past five seasons he has led his league in GAA, and he's been in the same league as the likes of Chris Gibson (NHL 2nd Rounder) and Wisco's Joel Rumpel. When playing AAA midgets in SK, he was the league's top goalie both years in a league featuring guys like Matteau, Pouliot, Koekkoek, Reilly, all NHL 1st Rounders.

He is not your traditional 3rd stringer, to say the least.

I'm still trying to figure out how the scholarship situation is working out.

The Forwards make sense:

subtract Kristo, Knight and Rowney

add Johnson, Tambellini and Murphy

The Defense doesn't:

subtract Gleason, Mac and Forbort

add LaDue, Thompson, Ausmus, Stetcher(?), Poolman(?)

Poolman will probably receive less of a scholarship, however isn't his dad employed by UND as a trainer? I'm sure they'll figure out something with his kid going to UND. Not that it is a big deal.

Poolman will probably receive less of a scholarship, however isn't his dad employed by UND as a trainer? I'm sure they'll figure out something with his kid going to UND. Not that it is a big deal.

If your parents work for the school, don't your kids get free tuition? Some schools have that, I haven't looked into if UND does.

The team should always have 8 Defensemen. In past theyve had injuries and had to throw a forward back like Brad Miller and Davidson. Jim is a forward now, The young guys will all get there chance the first 20 games or so and will control there own ice time by there play! Stretcher and Ladue are both to old to go back to juniors!

The team should always have 8 Defensemen. In past theyve had injuries and had to throw a forward back like Brad Miller and Davidson. Jim is a forward now, The young guys will all get there chance the first 20 games or so and will control there own ice time by there play! Stretcher and Ladue are both to old to go back to juniors!

Stecher has two years of junior eligibility left. However, I still think he's coming in this fall.

Not sure why you quoted me. I'm just saying that academic scholarships will be included in that limit of 18. You can't get around NCAA limits by simply awarding academic scholarships.

I do know that at one time it was quite common at UND to get a "75%" scholarship broken down as follows: yr 1, 50%; yr 2, 50%; yr 3, 100%; yr 4, 100%

Yup...I'm pretty sure 75% is considered a full ride for UND Hockey. It was like that during the Gino era. It was like that during the Blaiser era and I doubt if it's changed under Hak. I believe Minnesota does it the same way...at least they did.

Stecher has two years of junior eligibility left. However, I still think he's coming in this fall.

I agree, you don't win BCHL Defenseman of the Year and go back to juniors. I would guess if we have him wait until 2014 to come in, we will lose him as a recruit. Bring in all four freshman defenseman and let them push each other for playing time.

Looking at our roster next year, I think at least 7 of the 8 D on will be dressing every night to start the year, whether it be all 7 playing D, or one moving up to forward, whoever is not playing D (Stecher, Mattson etc) will be much too talented to be sitting each night.

I hope this doesn't happen. Minnesota did this almost the entire year and I think it held them back. Yeah they won a lot of games but I think they would have been even better if they rolled 6 D and 12 forwards a night rather than dressing 8 D and having them shuffle in at forward. I've just never liked the idea of forcing a D to play forward just to get him on the ice.

I hope this doesn't happen. Minnesota did this almost the entire year and I think it held them back. Yeah they won a lot of games but I think they would have been even better if they rolled 6 D and 12 forwards a night rather than dressing 8 D and having them shuffle in at forward. I've just never liked the idea of forcing a D to play forward just to get him on the ice.

I'd rather they rotated the 6th D than play 7 every game. I remember when Marto/LaPoint were freshmen typically one played Friday and the other Saturday. I thought that worked all right, but maybe that was a unique circumstance. I also get the need for a consistent D core lineup also. This is why the coaches make the big bucks!

Is it possible Thompson plays another year of junior hockey? He's super young. He didn't receive a ton of ice time at the worlds, at least not compared to ausmus. Just thinking, I'm guessing stecher makes an impact immediately, where Keaton is a tad raw.

Is it possible Thompson plays another year of junior hockey? He's super young. He didn't receive a ton of ice time at the worlds, at least not compared to ausmus. Just thinking, I'm guessing stecher makes an impact immediately, where Keaton is a tad raw.

He is only 5 months younger than Ausmus and going to be anywhere from a 1st to 3rd round NHL draft pick so he is coming in. Not to mention Ausmus says that is who he will be living with. Looks like the big question is whether or not Stecher comes in.

He is only 5 months younger than Ausmus and going to be anywhere from a 1st to 3rd round NHL draft pick so he is coming in. Not to mention Ausmus says that is who he will be living with. Looks like the big question is whether or not Stecher comes in.

True. Not a bad problem to have I guess. I've heard Stecher is ready to contribute right now. I would think the reigning BCHL Defensemen of the Year would be fully ready to play college hockey. Only time will tell I guess.

True. Not a bad problem to have I guess. I've heard Stecher is ready to contribute right now. I would think the reigning BCHL Defensemen of the Year would be fully ready to play college hockey. Only time will tell I guess.

I was thinking the same. When he committed late winter/early spring, I assumed he was a shoe in to come in this fall and all signs I've heard/read were that he would be able to step right in.

I was thinking the same. When he committed late winter/early spring, I assumed he was a shoe in to come in this fall and all signs I've heard/read were that he would be able to step right in.

Maybe panz is the odd man out unfortunately....I believe he is the least heralded of all the dmen we will have for this upcoming season.

I researched a little bit. Goes back to the 2003 season. But only a single assist. Fylling (Minot) from Schneider (Grand Forks)

Still looking for a second assist from a North Dakotan goal.

You were close. The last time UND had a goal from a North Dakotan assisted by two North Dakotans was January 12, 2002 against Alaska-Anchorage. Andy Schneider (GF) from Tim Skarperud (GF) and James Massen (Bismarck). The game ended in a 4-4 tie.

You could almost count Tyler Palmiscno (EGF) from Schneider (GF) and Quinn Fylling (Minot) on Feb. 22, 2003 against MSUM, but it doesn't quite fit your criteria.

It is more common to roll with 8 d-men on the roster than it is 7, so adding Ausmus should not affect whether or not Thompson or Stecher come in this fall. Poolman has always been slated for 2014, Crisfield as a 2013 or 2014, and LaDue has to come in this season as he is out of junior eligibility. Thompson would have been the only question mark since he had to accelerate his education, but things seem to be in order on that front.

Fron what I'm reading on this blog Schmaltz and Mattson better work their a** off if they don't want to see the bench!

Unless he regresses, Schmaltz is an every night guy. By the end of the season he was playing some pretty good hockey on the backend and it will take alot to supplant him in the lineup.