SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Can't have too much depth. I don't care if kids get up and leave because they aren't dressing every night. UND can't have a situation like we did 2011-2012. I wouldn't mind having 8 defensemen. That way if you have a guy that is dinged a little bit you can give him some time to get healthy knowing you have seven other bodies capable of doing the job.

Here's the recruit profile for goaltender Matt Hrynkiw:

http://atraditionofe...tt-hrynkiw.html

One thing that became very evident when putting this together is that Hrynkiw is consistently very good. During four of his past five seasons he has led his league in GAA, and he's been in the same league as the likes of Chris Gibson (NHL 2nd Rounder) and Wisco's Joel Rumpel. When playing AAA midgets in SK, he was the league's top goalie both years in a league featuring guys like Matteau, Pouliot, Koekkoek, Reilly, all NHL 1st Rounders.

He is not your traditional 3rd stringer, to say the least.

I agree that he might not be your traditional 3rd string goalie. Rumpel played in the BCHL not the SJHL, and there are goalies out there that play in tougher leagues that are better.

Hrynkiw was 27-11-2 SOL 6 Shutouts 1.83 GAA .939 SV% 74 GA; Playoffs 10-6-0 SOL 0 Shutouts 2.11 GAA .939 SV% 37 GA

Brey was 26-6-4 OTL 3 Shutouts 2.22 GAA .904 SV% 77 GA; Playoffs 6-1-0 OTL 1 Shutout 1.81 GAA .929 SV% 13 GA

Fredrick was 42-2-2 7 Shutouts 1.90 GAA .919 SV% 88 GA; Playoffs 12-5-0 1 Shutout 2.18 GAA .921 SV% 39 GA

I agree that he might not be your traditional 3rd string goalie. Rumpel played in the BCHL not the SJHL, and there are goalies out there that play in tougher leagues that are better.

Hrynkiw was 27-11-2 SOL 6 Shutouts 1.83 GAA .939 SV% 74 GA; Playoffs 10-6-0 SOL 0 Shutouts 2.11 GAA .939 SV% 37 GA

Brey was 26-6-4 OTL 3 Shutouts 2.22 GAA .904 SV% 77 GA; Playoffs 6-1-0 OTL 1 Shutout 1.81 GAA .929 SV% 13 GA

Fredrick was 42-2-2 7 Shutouts 1.90 GAA .919 SV% 88 GA; Playoffs 12-5-0 1 Shutout 2.18 GAA .921 SV% 39 GA

So you're saying those goalies are better?

You were close. The last time UND had a goal from a North Dakotan assisted by two North Dakotans was January 12, 2002 against Alaska-Anchorage. Andy Schneider (GF) from Tim Skarperud (GF) and James Massen (Bismarck). The game ended in a 4-4 tie.

You could almost count Tyler Palmiscno (EGF) from Schneider (GF) and Quinn Fylling (Minot) on Feb. 22, 2003 against MSUM, but it doesn't quite fit your criteria.

You, Sir, are a true historian.

When is the last time we got a recruit that was originally committed to a different WCHA school (or any top notch school)? I know we had Gregoire and I believe Schmaltz was committed to UW but not positive.

Of incoming freshmen, 3 were previously committed to other schools. (Ausmus-DU, Stetcher-UNO, Murphy-Merrimack). Schmaltz was committed to UW at one point as you said. Colten St Clair at one point was committed to Colorado College.

Wow - this young bunch of talent brings amazing opportunities for coaches to coach. Defense - let's turn into a unit to be feared instead of the eratic group from last year.

Goalies - we have three with good credentials - I hope someone takes a leap forward and claims the job - it's certainly open to any of the three. I was disappointed no one claimed it last year.

Offense - Please, let's get out of the damned corners and go up and down for once - Use our talent.

Time for Hak to evolve as a coach.

Wow - this young bunch of talent brings amazing opportunities for coaches to coach. Defense - let's turn into a unit to be feared instead of the eratic group from last year.

Goalies - we have three with good credentials - I hope someone takes a leap forward and claims the job - it's certainly open to any of the three. I was disappointed no one claimed it last year.

Offense - Please, let's get out of the damned corners and go up and down for once - Use our talent.

Time for Hak to evolve as a coach.

Wouldn't you rather see them work the boards then the puck gets shot to the middle of the ice when noone is ever there?

I didn't say Rumpel played in the SJHL. Rumpel played in the SMAAAHL at the same time as Hrynkiw, along with Chris Gibson.

Both Brey and Fredrick are still playing, Brey in the USHL playoffs and Fredrick is playing for the RBC Cup in Canada.

And Hrynkiw played well in the RBC Cup last season, including a win over mighty Penticton. Point being?

Wouldn't you rather see them work the boards then the puck gets shot to the middle of the ice when noone is ever there?

Not saying that at all - I love it when the Sioux are gritty - I just meant that I am really tired of our endless cycle

I didn't say Rumpel played in the SJHL. Rumpel played in the SMAAAHL at the same time as Hrynkiw, along with Chris Gibson.

I thought you ment they played in the same junior A league. I did agree with you that he is a good goalie. The big question to me is, can Hrynkiw bounce back after giving up 4 or 5 goals one night and shut down the team the next night.

Not saying that at all - I love it when the Sioux are gritty - I just meant that I am really tired of our endless cycle

I was being sarcastic but I'm sure you caught that lol. I like when they're gritty too but we need players(Rocco, possibly parks, maybe Tambollini) who can't skate up the ice with the puck instead of dumping it or playing the boards all the time.

I thought you ment they played in the same junior A league. I did agree with you that he is a good goalie. The big question to me is, can Hrynkiw bounce back after giving up 4 or 5 goals one night and shut down the team the next night.

Agreed, his makeup is something we won't fully become aware of until things play out over the next few years.

The first thing that popped into my head regarding his committment was the quality of competition question, as the SJHL is widely regarded as beneath the BCHL/AJHL in terms of strength of play. But to dominate like he did during the past five years, including two years spent in a league with several future NHL 1st rounders, eases some of those concerns in my mind.

All in all, I think we landed a goaltender who could very well become the starting goaltender by the time his UND career comes to an end.

And Belfour played in the Manitoba league so your point is?

Via Schlossman

Vernon Vipers coach Jason Williamson says '93 D Geoff Crisfield is no longer a UND commit. Recruitment back open for the 20-year-old.

It's never fun to lose a recruit but with Thompson, Ausmus, and more than likely Stecher coming in, something had to give. Best of luck to Geoff.

Props to him, it's amazing how well he has developed since he last played for Central. It'll be great to have a bunch of local talent on the team again.

Even when he was at Central all the coaches around the state knew he was going to be special. Just watching him with the puck. Poise, patience, tremendous hands, and great footwork at the blue line. Could have easily been gone his junior year, but stayed around and played on one of the better teams in North Dakota history. I think he contributes on the powerplay right away.

Could very well be the best defenseman UND has next season.

Even when he was at Central all the coaches around the state knew he was going to be special. Just watching him with the puck. Poise, patience, tremendous hands, and great footwork at the blue line. Could have easily been gone his junior year, but stayed around and played on one of the better teams in North Dakota history. I think he contributes on the powerplay right away.

Could very well be the best defenseman UND has next season.

I think Simpson will be our top d-man next year, but I would not be surprised one bit to see LaDue on the top pairing logging big minutes.

I think Simpson will be our top d-man next year, but I would not be surprised one bit to see LaDue on the top pairing logging big minutes.

Who will be younger than LaDue....... :lol:

I could see a LaDue-Simpson pairing. Both have great hockey sense, and I think could be a shut down pair. Wouldn't do it with physicality, but just taking away space, and gap control.