SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Unless I'm misremembering, Miller committed, got drafted into the NHL, then left for the CHL that summer basically right before he was expected on campus.

Correct, however, I do wish he would have came here for a year. Either way, I heard from a reliable source (kid who played with him on the NTDP) who noted Miller was telling everyone at camp that he would decommit if he was given a good deal ($$$). Either way, the kid was a one and done player.

Correct, however, I do wish he would have came here for a year. Either way, I heard from a reliable source (kid who played with him on the NTDP) who noted Miller was telling everyone at camp that he would decommit if he was given a good deal ($$$). Either way, the kid was a one and done player.

And according to salary cap records, he got a rookie max deal that summer...pretty tough to turn down. He played half the season in the show this year too...

max signing bonus with Rangers ($275k) and a year in the OHL for 2011-2012

$70k for half a year playing in the AHL and $833k for half a year playing in the NHL ($925k less $92K signing) so $452k

Total comp last two years ballpark $725k

alternatively he could've been living the dream in GF and being a kid for a couple years

And according to salary cap records, he got a rookie max deal that summer...pretty tough to turn down. He played half the season in the show this year too...

max signing bonus with Rangers ($275k) and a year in the OHL for 2011-2012

$70k for half a year playing in the AHL and $833k for half a year playing in the NHL ($925k less $92K signing) so $452k

Total comp last two years ballpark $725k

alternatively he could've been living the dream in GF and being a kid for a couple years

I wish I would have made that in the last two years.

NHL Central Scouting's Final Rankings of North American Skaters

42 - Adam Tambellini

53 - Keaton Thompson

96 - Luke Johnson

Of note: Gage Ausmus (148)

Funny I just read that...one thing to note, Tambellini is actually 6'2 1/4'' and only 169 lbs....that is about as frail as a kid gets being that tall. I bet I was 169 lbs as a freshman or sophomore....in high school. He's going to be here for a few years beefing up.

NHL Central Scouting's Final Rankings of North American Skaters

42 - Adam Tambellini

53 - Keaton Thompson

96 - Luke Johnson

Of note: Gage Ausmus (148)

Very solid class. Guessing Ausmus is drafted as well. Wonder if tambelini will keep moving up with his season and playoff performaces? All it takes is one team. Add Ladue who was a late LA pick last year. Funny how recruiting cycles work out locally. 6-9 North Dakota/minny kids on their way to Grand Forks in the next 2 seasons from basically none (besides Zane) in last handful of seasons.

Troy Stecher is a finalist for the first ever CJHL Top Defenseman Award

Troy Stecher, Penticton Vees, BCHL (52 GP, 8 G, 39 A, 47 PTS)

Troy Stecher was selected as Best Defenceman in the BCHL Interior Conference. While playing in 52 games, Troy notched 8 goals and 39 assists for 47 points earning him a 1st All-Star Team selection. For the 2nd straight season Troy was selected to represent Team Canada West at the World Junior A Challenge. Troy is committed to the University of North Dakota for the 2013-2014 season.

Stecher was on that same team. This is his third year with them. Last year on that dominant team he put up 5g,37a in 53 games

If you dig hard enough I'm sure you can figure out the answer to your own question.

I prefer not to find reasons to discredit a player prior to ever seeing them play.

Stecher was on that same team. This is his third year with them. Last year on that dominant team he put up 5g,37a in 53 games

All the hype? He's a solid defender that won an award. The coaches voted him in so they must have seen something. There's more to playing D than simply putting up points. And the guys you mentioned probably would have won the award if there was one....this is the first year of the awards existence I believe.

So, is that 2 likely second rounders and a 4th rounder?

No. European skaters and NA/Euro goaltenders ranked ahead of our recruits would result in them being pushed down the draft board relative to the ranking numbers you see. For example, there are probably 7-9 European skaters or goaltenders that will be selected in the first round this season. That would push Thompson's projection into third round territory.

Compare those numbers to these.

M. Reilly- 51games- 24g,59a- 83 points

J. LaLeggia- 58games- 20g,62a-82 points

Whats all the hype about

I actually don't know anything about Stecher but I will say that evaluating good D-men is based on more than offensive numbers

I actually don't know anything about Stecher but I will say that evaluating good D-men is based on more than offensive numbers

Ya I realize that. But when he committed here everyone was talking about how great of an Offensive puck moving D-man he was. Doesn't really matter much, we'll find out when he gets here.

Ya I realize that. But when he committed here everyone was talking about how great of an Offensive puck moving D-man he was. Doesn't really matter much, we'll find out when he gets here.

Well Stecher's numbers are very good for a defenseman. LaLaggia's and Reilly's stats were extreme outliers, those kinds of numbers are rare. At the same age, in the BCHL, Stecher had almost identical numbers to Justin Schultz.