SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

mediocre money for 3-4 years, a signing bonus that basically gets you a downpayment on a middle-class house after taxes and agents...doesn't seem worth it...get a meteorology degree and a natty, then be the local weatherman hero for the next 40 years...or go be a producer for Vaalers...great life is available if you stay...

mediocre money for 3-4 years, a signing bonus that basically gets you a downpayment on a middle-class house after taxes and agents...doesn't seem worth it...get a meteorology degree and a natty, then be the local weatherman hero for the next 40 years...or go be a producer for Vaalers...great life is available if you stay...

Its a great major to be in :whistling:

Agreed. 

I noted earlier in this thread that it's just being shortsighted & giving up great college rock star experiences in order to get a few shekels in pro hockey. It may sound like a lot of money to a college kid, but they'll never get to experience that college vibe again; while they're sitting next to Rocco Grimaldi in a bus as they tour the NE minor hockey circuit. Would be nice if they listened to their own hearts, & didn't get talked into doing something from an agent that they didn't feel like doing but felt compelled to do so anyway. These agents are doing what is best for the team, not the players; although some would disagree with that.

Zane is gone after this year, so is Schmaltz...neither will see the NHL in 2016 for anything more than a cup of coffee orientation, but both will skate in the NHL in the future.

Do you all remember the dominance that Parise, Toews, Oshie had their last years...nobody can take over a game like that today with the possible exception of Zane.

If Stecher or Jewels or LaDue go pro, it is for a quick hit signing bonus and a 50k per year gig in the A 

agreed.  Stetcher i don't think would go.  He could get the same deal next year or better.  why rush it if i'm him. 

agreed. Stetcher i don't think would go. He could get the same deal next year or better. why rush it if i'm him.

I'm 50-50 on Zane. UND holds such a special place to him because of his grandmother, and that guy goes by the beat of his own drum. I would not be the least bit surprised to see him back in net next fall.

I'm 50-50 on Zane. UND holds such a special place to him because of his grandmother, and that guy goes by the beat of his own drum. I would not be the least bit surprised to see him back in net next fall.

I could see him leaving if UND hangs #8 this year...

I think Zane comes back. Boston is pretty stacked at the goalie position. They have 2 goalies in the AHL with .920+ save percentage. One having .930 and the other being Malcolm Subban. I don't know where he would end up playing next year if he signed with Boston. Play here one more year and then sign with a team without a log jam at goalie. 

I think Zane comes back. Boston is pretty stacked at the goalie position. They have 2 goalies in the AHL with .920+ save percentage. One having .930 and the other being Malcolm Subban. I don't know where he would end up playing next year if he signed with Boston. Play here one more year and then sign with a team without a log jam at goalie. 

The "log jam" behind Rask may not be as solid as it seems.  Both Subban and Svedberg have shown a tendency to be up-and-down with their play.  I guess one could blame that on youth, but there was some talk of Subban being moved near the trade deadline.  The Bruins could be considered "rich" at goalie, and I wouldn't put it past them to move one of those guys to bolster the roster in other areas - especially if they feel Zane has long-term potential. 

You are mostly correct however the money in the AHL isn't terrible and it's above $50k.  Everyone I know in the AHL made more than $50k per year.  Also, when you take into account that these boys dont have to pay for anything during the season it's probably a bigger benefit.  After the A you an head over to europe play for a few for years then come back and be a producer or get in sales.

Also, I think Ladue may have a shot at playing NHL hockey.  He'll need a year or two in the A first.  Stetch may too, not sure about Caggulia.  Parks may make it as a 3rd/4th liner (similar to Vande).  You just never know.

Wilkie 2 more goals now at 34 wow! He boeser (31) and Gersich (26) can light the lamp!

@USHL: The @TriCityStorm win a wild one 7-6: @CWilkie44 with a 4-point night (2g 2a) and @wadeallison11 scores twice http://t.co/Co3VFmhSp1#USHL

@USHL: 2-goal night gives @TriCityStorm forward @CWilkie44 a league-leading 34 goals on the season #USHL http://t.co/GWHNyOHS2d

Agree.  I'm friends with a Ralph worker who has inside sources and says Zane is back next year.  Besides Boston's decent goalie situation, goalies can play well into their mid-30s so thus not the rush to leave.  I could be wrong though.

Spot on.  I'd rather be big man on campus playing in front of large crowds vs riding a bus and playing in front of smaller crowds. 

Wilkie 2 more goals now at 34 wow! He boeser (31) and Gersich (26) can light the lamp!

I am excited about those 3 coming in next season.

I know that we lose a lot of senior leadership and scoring this year, but all three of those players have shown an excellent ability to score goals in a tough USHL league.  I like the thought of having a pass-happy NSchmaltz on a line with one or two of those incoming freshmen.  Could be quite the fun.  :)

• Upvote 1

Spot on.  I'd rather be big man on campus playing in front of large crowds vs riding a bus and playing in front of smaller crowds. 

You have to remember, though, that these guys have been playing the step-up game since they were in pee wees.  They've had to leave teams and schoolmates many times to further their dream to play for money--sometimes against the odds--and their moves have all been successful up to this point.   I'm sure they all love their life at the Ralph playing the game and hanging out with teammates, but for some of them the school side of it is probably something they would rather do without.  

And we can't expect them to be as old and wise as we all are.  :)

But boy, what a great bunch of young men this team has.  Win, lose, or draw, it's been such a pleasure this year. 

• Upvote 1

The largest part of my career has involved my success being dependant on the decisions that other people make.  More times than I would like to admit people made decisions that didn't seem logical to me, or that I would not have predicted based on what I knew.

What I learned over time is that people make decisions based on their own personal situations, not what seems logical to me.  Sometimes that means they really do make illogical decisions.  But most of the time that just means there are factors they are considering that I was not aware of, or variables that they put in a higher priority than I would.

In the end, people make the decisions they feel are the best for their personal situations, and if they don't make sense to an outsider, typically that means the outsider isn't factoring in the same variables and factors, or not weighting or prioritizing them the same way.

In my career, once I realized that, people suddenly didn't seem so stupid. (and yes, that's a shot at me).

@USHL: The @TriCityStorm win a wild one 7-6: @CWilkie44 with a 4-point night (2g 2a) and @wadeallison11 scores twice http://t.co/Co3VFmhSp1#USHL

@USHL: 2-goal night gives @TriCityStorm forward @CWilkie44 a league-leading 34 goals on the season #USHL http://t.co/GWHNyOHS2d

That's what I like about Wilkie, he's a shoot-first, ask questions later kind of guy. We don't need any more polite, PC-oriented players who are burdened with too many manners & are always looking to pass. We need selfish players like Wilkie who know they can score goals to just go out & shoot. And if he ever gets a wild hair up his arse during a shift next year that it's alright to pass, bench him for a couple shifts until he gets back into his selfish shoot-only mindset. Kind of like having a Brett Hull; spend the entire game trying to get the puck in his wheelhouse. It'll be nice to have a player or two or three like him. So at least next year we'll have at least a couple of forwards who were baptized in the Brett Hull denomination of Holy Rippers & not just a squad of all passers. Looking good .... :)

That's what I like about Wilkie, he's a shoot-first, ask questions later kind of guy. We don't need any more polite, PC-oriented players who are burdened with too many manners & are always looking to pass. We need selfish players like Wilkie who know they can score goals to just go out & shoot. And if he ever gets a wild hair up his arse during a shift next year that it's alright to pass, bench him for a couple shifts until he gets back into his selfish shoot-only mindset. Kind of like having a Brett Hull; spend the entire game trying to get the puck in his wheelhouse. It'll be nice to have a player or two or three like him. So at least next year we'll have at least a couple of forwards who were baptized in the Brett Hull denomination of Holy Rippers & not just a squad of all passers. Looking good .... :)

I gotta hear what a "PC-oriented player" is.    :)

I gotta hear what a "PC-oriented player" is.    :)

When it comes to hockey, a PC-oriented player is a socially-conditioned forward who has lost his natural goal-scoring inclination; mostly due to him being exposed to teachers & an environment that tells him it's okay to pass. This can never be okay with guys like Wilkie, & we as fans need to voice our loud displeasure to the coaching staff if we see him starting to pass with any regularity next year. This dangerous ideology kills the selfish instincts in pure goal scorers & makes them more altruistic, when their inherent traits are to only shoot. I might go so far as to suggest to Hakstol next year that he doesn't even let Wilkie or Boeser use the word "pass". It can be a slippery slope as allowing them to use words like "pass" & "assist" will eventually lead to these actions. Gotta nip any unselfishness in the bud & get these guys primed & loaded for a flood of goals & big egos next year.  :)

When it comes to hockey, a PC-oriented player is a socially-conditioned forward who has lost his natural goal-scoring inclination; mostly due to him being exposed to teachers & an environment that tells him it's okay to pass. This can never be okay with guys like Wilkie, & we as fans need to voice our loud displeasure to the coaching staff if we see him starting to pass with any regularity next year. This dangerous ideology kills the selfish instincts in pure goal scorers & makes them more altruistic, when their inherent traits are to only shoot. I might go so far as to suggest to Hakstol next year that he doesn't even let Wilkie or Boeser use the word "pass". It can be a slippery slope as allowing them to use words like "pass" & "assist" will eventually lead to these actions. Gotta nip any unselfishness in the bud & get these guys primed & loaded for a flood of goals & big egos.

So based on this analogy, a guy like Kristo comes to mind, never afraid to shoot.  I think L. Johnson would fall into that same category.

So based on this analogy, a guy like Kristo comes to mind, never afraid to shoot.  I think L. Johnson would fall into that same category.

I was just going to suggest that Luke Johnson is a shoot first kind of guy. Even if that shot is at the goal line, he's taking it. Hopefully those three recruits have the speed and hustle to avoid the same benching cries that LJ got this year.

I was just going to suggest that Luke Johnson is a shoot first kind of guy. Even if that shot is at the goal line, he's taking it. Hopefully those three recruits have the speed and hustle to avoid the same benching cries that LJ got this year.

The benching cries that LJ got this year were due to taking stupid penalties, not from shooting the puck.

• Upvote 1