SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

So would he not have met requirements for the Air Force, and they directed him to someplace they knew loved character guys, or did he have a change of heart about the military requirements? Would be interesting to know if UND became interested because of possible losses, or when approached said sure we'll take a character captain with no risk, but an upside of extra depth.

I'm still curious why they didn't go with a kid from either the Ushl or the Bch, because there appears to be some decent kids still uncommitted.

Same could probably be said of Gaarder, as he was heading for division 3. The fact that he's a captain suggests he could be a Panzarella type player that will do anything for the team. As we've seen, it takes a special player to sit game after game and then be ready to go, as Panzarella did many times. Perhaps that is what this guy offers, when others might be complainers behind the scenes because they came with more credentials and think they deserve time. Who knows, but the coaches seem to have a knack finding those guys who can add to the team chemistry, rather than detract.

• Upvote 2

Same could probably be said of Gaarder, as he was heading for division 3. The fact that he's a captain suggests he could be a Panzarella type player that will do anything for the team. As we've seen, it takes a special player to sit game after game and then be ready to go, as Panzarella did many times. Perhaps that is what this guy offers, when others might be complainers behind the scenes because they came with more credentials and think they deserve time. Who knows, but the coaches seem to have a knack finding those guys who can add to the team chemistry, rather than detract.

Definitely need that unselfish kind of player that is similar in the past with Mario, Pattyn, and Gaarder.  I think St. Clair falls into that category but he will be a senior next year.

I'm still curious why they didn't go with a kid from either the Ushl or the Bch, because there appears to be some decent kids still uncommitted.

Because time and time again this coaching staff has shown that it doesn't recruit the stat sheet alone. Sometimes "decent kids" are still available this late in the recruiting winds for reasons other than hockey.

Because time and time again this coaching staff has shown that it doesn't recruit the stat sheet alone. Sometimes "decent kids" are still available this late in the recruiting winds for reasons other than hockey.

And the kids who are accepted to the three service academies are pretty intensely vetted for character. Not a perfect evaluation system, obviously, but character kids.

Oh yeah, good point. Just like tyler vessel last year. :)

Regarding your "stat sheet" comment, I definitely realize that however maybe that's why we haven't had a forward average a point per game in 4 years :). In all seriousness I'm fine with this as he's a depth guy an Hak must like him for a reason. Just curious that's all.

The other thing to note about the addition of Gornall is that most of the incoming forward recruits play more of a Top 6 style of hockey. The same could be said of Murphy and Sanderson (to a lesser extent). Gornall could be brought in as an extra body and/or a player meant to fill a Bottom 6 role. With the losses from the senior class, the team really didn't have enough grinders to fill in the 3rd and 4th lines.

Of course I could be dead wrong, but I don't think the addition of Gornall implies UND losses any additional forwards.

Would also not be surprising to see Sanderson leave as he has barely gotten a sniff of the ice in his 3 years here.

Why would Sanderson leave now?  He's been here 3 years and barely played?  Seems kind of silly to leave for his senior year?

Seems to me Sanderson is more of a team guy who has accepted the fact that he will not be a professional hockey player, so he wants to get a good education and enjoy his 4 years as part of a quality team and program.

Why would Sanderson leave now?  He's been here 3 years and barely played?  Seems kind of silly to leave for his senior year?

Seems to me Sanderson is more of a team guy who has accepted the fact that he will not be a professional hockey player, so he wants to get a good education and enjoy his 4 years as part of a quality team and program.

Or he could try and continue his career elsewhere? Lots of kids move on.

Could a player such as Sanderson get "bumped" by the coaching staff to make room? Pretty sure the official wording would be more tactfully worded.

Why would they have to bump him?  According to NCAA rules they have 18 scholarships that they can spread between up to 30 players (minimum 25% scholarship).  But there are no NCAA limits on roster size when walk-ons are included.  I'm pretty sure that both Niagra and Providence had more than 30 on their rosters this year.

Why would they have to bump him?  According to NCAA rules they have 18 scholarships that they can spread between up to 30 players (minimum 25% scholarship).  But there are no NCAA limits on roster size when walk-ons are included.  I'm pretty sure that both Niagra and Providence had more than 30 on their rosters this year.

EXACTLY why this is just a depth move. Walk-on players replace former walk-on players. Trying to find a player with some grit and leadership and it sounds like Gornall is this type of guy.

Arizona State has 29 listed on their roster with one goalie yet to be cleared and they have 2 that have to red shirt this coming season.

When it comes to hockey, a PC-oriented player is a socially-conditioned forward who has lost his natural goal-scoring inclination; mostly due to him being exposed to teachers & an environment that tells him it's okay to pass. This can never be okay with guys like Wilkie, & we as fans need to voice our loud displeasure to the coaching staff if we see him starting to pass with any regularity next year. This dangerous ideology kills the selfish instincts in pure goal scorers & makes them more altruistic, when their inherent traits are to only shoot. I might go so far as to suggest to Hakstol next year that he doesn't even let Wilkie or Boeser use the word "pass". It can be a slippery slope as allowing them to use words like "pass" & "assist" will eventually lead to these actions. Gotta nip any unselfishness in the bud & get these guys primed & loaded for a flood of goals & big egos next year. :)

Does Murphy fit this ? I dont know why but I feel he is special

In the NAHL divisional finals Topeka Roadrunners are tied in the series 1-1.

In the first game of the series Tomak stopped 21 of 22 in a 5-1 win, Gornall had 2 goals.

In the second game Tomak had a bad night gave up 4 goals before being pulled in the second, Gornall had a natural hat trick and an assist but wasn't enough Lone Star Brahmas win 5-4 in overtime.

Christian Evers was drafted 1 overall by Lincoln in the phase 2 draft. Rhett Gardner was selected by Fargo #52 overall. Don't know if you'd wasted a pick on someone going to college next year especially number 1 so I don't see Evers here next year. Also guessing Gardner isn't either

Christian Evers was drafted 1 overall by Lincoln in the phase 2 draft. Rhett Gardner was selected by Fargo #52 overall. Don't know if you'd wasted a pick on someone going to college next year especially number 1 so I don't see Evers here next year. Also guessing Gardner isn't either

Tomek in the 9th Rd....Zane coming back?  Fargo may have some inside info.