SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Sounds like a practice squad guy.Ā  Someone must be leaving.

Or maybe a role player like Lammy, Pattyn and Gaarder.

Maybe, but remember gaarder was literally a last second replacement and only initially got in due to the mounting injuries that year; he obviously made the most out of his opportunities. Mario came from the ushl and also had family ties. You're right about Pattyn.

Ā 

From the article -- The Irwin, PA native had an agreement to play hockey for the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs but during the admission process, it was mutually agreed that there might be a more suitable fit and he has agreed to head north to Grand Forks, ND.

RoadRunner Head Coach / GMĀ Scott LangerĀ praised the staff at Air Force. "They run a top shelf operation and truly care about what's best for the student-athlete", Langer said. "Helping Mike (Gornall) adjust his collegiate path is evidence of what a class act they are."

Gornall finished 2ndĀ on his team in scoring in 2014-15 and was voted the recipient of the team's "Hally Hat" award, named in honor of the lateĀ Peter HalashĀ and given to the player who best displays a solid work ethic day in and day out. He will join current RoadRunner teammateĀ Matej TomekĀ who will also attend UND in the fall.Ā 

Interesting.

A replacement for a potential departure that we didn't anticipate?

Ā 

Who knows, maybe this guy will really add to the team. Gaarder was a late pickup when JT Miller jumped. Would be nice to get a grinder like that, who could stay for 4 years. Not that I have read or know anything about this kid.

Maybe, but remember gaarder was literally a last second replacement and only initially got in due to the mounting injuries that year; he obviously made the most out of his opportunities. Mario came from the ushl and also had family ties. You're right about Pattyn.

Ā 

For sure... I would love to see someone like Gaarder in the lineup in the near future. Loved watching that kid play. Hakstol referred to him as: "he's like a dog on a bone." He never gave up he was relentless. Ā 

For sure... I would love to see someone like Gaarder in the lineup in the near future. Loved watching that kid play. Hakstol referred to him as: "he's like a dog on a bone." He never gave up he was relentless.

Agreed I liked gaarders role, I was just saying he got his opportunity to get in the lineup earlier than most NA kids.

By practice squad I wasn't trying to knock him I just think it is such a tough jump from the NA to nchc hockey that first year. Your right though, it's nice to have hard working over agers play a bottom six role. I definitely think these kids are valuable in the junior senior years if they develope.

Uh-oh ... just did some digging. Gornall is now the oldest forward in the recruiting pipeline (older than Janatuinen). That tells me he is coming in this fall.Ā 

Ā 

I was pretty sure that the five just departed seniors would be replaced by Janatuinen, Gardner, Gersich, WIlkie, and Boeser. With what looks like a sure sixth forward coming in ... either a low minutes guy is leaving ... or < gulp > Caggiula.Ā 

You guys seem to quickly forget season like 2011-12. Remember all those injuries?? This seems like a depth move. Good leader type player. Seems like a Pattyn, Gaarder replacement to me.

Would also not be surprising to see Sanderson leave as he has barely gotten a sniff of the ice in his 3 years here.