SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

These are the early departures this year bank it.

Zane

Jordan S.

Nick S.

Paul L.

These I put at 50/50

Stecher.... would have been a lock without injury.

Drake.....somebody will offer, but wit be enough of a good situation.

Got some sort of source of this knowledge, or just your best assumption?

These guys will have only one chance in their lives for the college hockey experience: at the best program in the nation with the most passionate fanbase, all the while being treated like rock stars. And to give up this once-in-a-lifetime experience so you can have a remotely small chance at playing on a consistent basis on a NHL team at some point in the future seems shortsighted.

Is it for the money? Well, if one is going to pass on cultivating deeper friendships in his youth for a meme like money which has no intrinsic value, then maybe it would behoove one to reexamine what's really important in his life. And unless they're mega-talented like Toews, they're going to be treated like a pawn by some corporate franchise & basically owned like a slave: they report to certain destinations & do certain things & fulfill meaningless contractual obligations on the orders of their owner (that's the definition of being a slave when you don't control your own movements)...You're going to Hershey..You're coming back up..You're being traded...We're putting you on waivers..We're releasing you..You're going to Chucky Cheese at 2 PM next Tuesday for a photo-op..etc.." It's even coded into their language what they think of these professional athletes, ie, "trading one's rights". They're a commodity, plain and simple.

I call it free-range slavery (chickens may think they're free because they're strutting around on a range outside of cages; but they're still owned & will end up as a garlic-seasoned rotisserie one day at your local Piggly Wiggly). lol. Similar to millionaire athletes: they may drive around in Porsches & live in fancy mansions, but they still have owners. : ) ...

And though it's voluntary, it technically is a form of human-trafficking what these players go through at the professional level. These players "play the game" & jump through hoops so they have a shot at doing something they love. They may not be like a slave on a plantation; but they're owned like a commodity nonetheless. They take the fun right out of the game. And then when you can no longer serve the goals of the corporation, you're ruthlessly terminated & discarded by this sociopathic entity. But this is okay for most people, after all it's not them getting cut & they did get to see their favorite player rush for a few touchdowns before he was shown the backdoor, don'tcha know. I've lost all passion & respect for professional sports & what a mockery they make of the human experience.

Is this what these kids are so excited to do?

I understand if it's an intense desire to prove one's self at the highest level. I understand the injury aspect also & wanting to be healthy when it comes time for the NHL, but it just seems like a rush to get to a level where only a select few ever play at that level on a consistent basis. If I had a kid on this or any team, I would highly encourage him to enjoy his youth & have fun being a kid before he has to go corporate. That's all ....

These guys will have only one chance in their lives for the college hockey experience: at the best program in the nation with the most passionate fanbase, all the while being treated like rock stars. And to give up this once-in-a-lifetime experience so you can have a remotely small chance at playing on a consistent basis on a NHL team at some point in the future seems shortsighted.

Is it for the money? Well, if one is going to pass on cultivating deeper friendships in his youth for a meme like money which has no intrinsic value, then maybe it would behoove one to reexamine what's really important in his life. And unless they're mega-talented like Toews, they're going to be treated like a pawn by some corporate franchise & basically owned like a slave: they report to certain destinations & do certain things & fulfill meaningless contractual obligations on the orders of their owner (that's the definition of being a slave when you don't control your own movements)...You're going to Hershey..You're coming back up..You're being traded...We're putting you on waivers..We're releasing you..You're going to Chucky Cheese at 2 PM next Tuesday for a photo-op..etc.." It's even coded into their language what they think of these professional athletes, ie, "trading one's rights". They're a commodity, plain and simple.

I call it free-range slavery (chickens may think they're free because they're strutting around on a range outside of cages; but they're still owned & will end up as a garlic-seasoned rotisserie one day at your local Piggly Wiggly). lol. Similar to millionaire athletes: they may drive around in Porsches & live in fancy mansions, but they still have owners. : ) ...

And though it's voluntary, it technically is a form of human-trafficking what these players go through at the professional level. These players "play the game" & jump through hoops so they have a shot at doing something they love. They may not be like a slave on a plantation; but they're owned like a commodity nonetheless. They take the fun right out of the game. And then when you can no longer serve the goals of the corporation, you're ruthlessly terminated & discarded by this sociopathic entity. But this is okay for most people, after all it's not them getting cut & they did get to see their favorite player rush for a few touchdowns before he was shown the backdoor, don'tcha know. I've lost all passion & respect for professional sports & what a mockery they make of the human experience.

Is this what these kids are so excited to do?

I understand if it's an intense desire to prove one's self at the highest level. I understand the injury aspect also & wanting to be healthy when it comes time for the NHL, but it just seems like a rush to get to a level where only a select few ever play at that level on a consistent basis. If I had a kid on this or any team, I would highly encourage him to enjoy his youth & have fun being a kid before he has to go corporate. That's all ....

Sounds like most people's careers. Only as a professional athlete they have an opportunity to make a lot of money and a small window to do so. And doing all this by playing it the game that they love.

Zane

Jordan S.

Nick S.

Paul L.

These I put at 50/50

If we are guessing percentages on the chance guys sign I'd go Zane 65% but that goes up if we win the national championship, Jordan at 75%, Nick at 25%, LaDue at 50%, Stecher at 25%, and Caggiula at 25%.

I recall seeing guys like Forbort on twitter talking about watching a packed Sioux game on TV and mentioning that they just played a game in front of a few hundred people.  I'd say the majority who leave wish they had stayed...or had more eligibility, when they are seniors

I recall seeing guys like Forbort on twitter talking about watching a packed Sioux game on TV and mentioning that they just played a game in front of a few hundred people.  I'd say the majority who leave wish they had stayed...or had more eligibility, when they are seniors

Doesn't mean that they aren't ok with have a full bank account and no class work.

He will not step in the NHL right away, but he will get his pro career started. I think some of you posters forget that the AHL is the second best level stateside for professional hockey. One is that much closer to reaching their dream of making the NHL. Players have a short window. Paul is older and he will develop in the AHL. 

No one is telling him (family, friends, advisor) that he'll play in the NHL next year. He knows that. 

Makes sense.  I also agree the AHL is a great league.  One thing though, to play in the AHL and succeed (as far as being an NHL prospect) you typically need to be a very very good college player.  I think one more year would really help Ladue.  He started out with a bang but really leveled off.  Good player but one more year against college competition could really help his confidence going forward.

Zane

Jordan S.

Nick S.

Paul L.

These I put at 50/50

I agree with Zane and Jordan however Nick leaving would absolutely blow me away.  He's a few years away.  I would put Ladue at under 50% and both Stetcher and Drake will be back.  As far a NS goes, to leave college hockey early (as a offensive player) you need to be dominating the league.  He has some flashy plays every so often but is no where near ready to make the jump.

I honestly think another year would help Jordan a lot as far as his consistency but he's a 1st rounder so I'm guessing he feels (and all his advisors feel) that he should go.

I agree. And I won't be pulling a % out of my ass based on nothing to prove it.

Your post has a 73.9% chance of being true based on what I said, the current trends, my gut & nothing more. : )

But speculating is kinda fun & it's an inherent part of being a fan so I don't think people are going to stop doing it, even though they have no real clue what's going on inside a kid's head.

• Upvote 1

I will give everybody some hard facts that i know for sure are the only real guys to be leaving after this season:

Nick Mattson- 100%

Andrew Panzarella- 100%

Connor Gaarder- 100%

Mark MacMillan- 50%

Brendan O'Donnell- 100%

Michael Parks- 100%

Stephane Pattyn- 100%

Everybody else is still unknown. I have heard that the NCAA is going to make Mark MacMillan a 5th year senior because he took a shot to the knee which is below the waist but above the ankle. :whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling: 

Everybody keeps talking about Zane leaving. I have a feeling he'll be back for his senior season, regardless of what happens next weekend.

One thing he might take into consideration is that I would think Tomek would get a bit of net time next year, especially if he goes fairly high in the draft.  It was different for Zane, in that he stayed that extra year in the USHL, but I don't think that is the plan for Tomek.  Do they risk the chance of losing Tomek if he doesn't get playing time?  I can't pretend to know what he would do in that scenario, or what the team that drafts him expects of his development.

One thing he might take into consideration is that I would think Tomek would get a bit of net time next year, especially if he goes fairly high in the draft.  It was different for Zane, in that he stayed that extra year in the USHL, but I don't think that is the plan for Tomek.  Do they risk the chance of losing Tomek if he doesn't get playing time?  I can't pretend to know what he would do in that scenario, or what the team that drafts him expects of his development.

I'm sure he was told to expect to be the No. 2 in his rookie year, but also to have a chance to get on the ice. Hak and co. had to have told him this. He knows he's the No. 1 whenever Zane leaves.

If we get Zane back for another year he is a proven commodity and gonna be playing the majority of games and if that meant Tomek decided to go elsewhere so be it. I think the ideal situation would be for Zane to come back for his senior season and Tomek play a year in the USHL but like you said I don't know if that is something Tomek would go for.

It sounds like the consensus is that it's better to have Zane for one more year, even if it means Tomek goes elsewhere & losing a possible 3 or 4 years out of him. Simply trying to gauge how important Zane is to this program .... Once Zane does split I think Sioux fans will quickly realize how important he really was, more so than they thought. Tall, big, physically agile goalies like him with his Cool Hand Luke demeanor don't come around very often.

It sounds like the consensus is that it's better to have Zane for one more year, even if it means Tomek goes elsewhere & losing a possible 3 or 4 years out of him. Simply trying to gauge how important Zane is to this program .... Once Zane does split I think Sioux fans will quickly realize how important he really was, more so than they thought. Tall, big, physically agile goalies like him with his Cool Hand Luke demeanor don't come around very often.

Yup, Zane has been one of the best of all time. Raise that green banner in 9 days and I'll entertain THE best conversations.

Zane is gone after this year, so is Schmaltz...neither will see the NHL in 2016 for anything more than a cup of coffee orientation, but both will skate in the NHL in the future.

Do you all remember the dominance that Parise, Toews, Oshie had their last years...nobody can take over a game like that today with the possible exception of Zane.

If Stecher or Jewels or LaDue go pro, it is for a quick hit signing bonus and a 50k per year gig in the A