SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

I guess Wilkie is what you call a "goal scorer".

After another last night, he's a genuine Cy Young candidate with his 26-10 record.

Burying the puck when there's an opening should be easy, but a lot of guys miss.  I think UND has only had two guys in the last ten years reach 30 goals, Duncan and Frattin, so I'll welcome goal scorers.  As an aside, those two guys also acted like they'd done it before when they scored ... no wild celebrations. 

In fairness, I am not sure about Duncan as I could not see him when surrounded by other players.

After another last night, he's a genuine Cy Young candidate with his 26-10 record.

Burying the puck when there's an opening should be easy, but a lot of guys miss.  I think UND has only had two guys in the last ten years reach 30 goals, Duncan and Frattin, so I'll welcome goal scorers.  As an aside, those two guys also acted like they'd done it before when they scored ... no wild celebrations. 

For Duncan, it was just another day at his office over there inside the dot. 

Duluth East scores on an early goal in the 2nd overtime to win their 7th straight section 7AA Championship. Elk River was in complete control up 3-0 in the 2nd until they took a major penalty and gave up 2 goals during the 5 minute powerplay to let the 'Hounds get back in the game.

Zach Yon stayed off the point sheet getting 3 SOG in a shootout loss and missed his shootout goal. 

No Cakebread last night.

Christian Wolanin stayed off the point sheet and had 1 SOG and 2 PIMs in the loss.

Brock Boeser had 1 SOG in a 1-0 loss. Hayden Shaw had 2 SOG.

Joel Janatuinen stays off the point sheet getting 1 SOG. in the overtime loss.

Chris Wilkie gets a goal on 8 shots and 2 PIMs.

Shane Gersich gets a goal on 4 shoots in the win for Omaha.

Matej Tomek doesn't dress again for Topeka.

Gabe Bast had an assist and 2 PIMs in the win last night.

Rhett Gardner had an assist on the only goal for Okotoks in the loss. He also had 4 PIMs.

Danys Chartrand stayed off the point sheet in the loss last night.

Andrew Peski had a goal in the 7-2 win for Brockville.

Jackson Keane had a goal and 2 assists in the win for Winnipeg last night.

Brock Boeser had a goal and an assist with 3 SOG in the win. 

Hayden Shaw had an assist on Boeser goal with 2 SOG and 2 PIMs in the win also.

Shane Gersich had an assist with 5 SOG and 2 PIMs in the 4-3 win.

Christian Wolanin had 3 SOG in the 4-1 win.

Cakebread had no SOG and Yon had 3 SOG in the 7-1 loss.

Chris Wilkie had no points and 6 SOG in the 5 to 1 win over Janatuinen's Sioux City.

Joel had remarkable stats in the game.

Gabe Bast had an assist and 2 PIMs in the OT win over Salmon Arm. His assist was to Jack Ramsey (UM commit) in OT.

Rhett Gardner didn't play for Okotoks.

Danys Chartrand stays off the point sheet for Flin Flon in the 7-1 win.

Jackson Keane stayed off the point sheet for Winnipeg in a SO loss.  He missed his shot. 

Pretty cool. My guess is that he's on campus this fall.

It will be interesting. If Jordan does stay I don't think he comes. I believe Chartrand has to come and heard someone said that when Evers was up here he said he would be here next year. I think he would be a nice smaller puck moving defenseman but he was hurt some this year. Considering his point totals that could have been one hell of a year for him though. Add Wolanin one of those two Wolanin/Shaw will play another year of juniors. Neither seem like a kid that's not a real risk of going somewhere else and Shaw might want to play for his dad for a full year too.

It will be interesting. If Jordan does stay I don't think he comes. I believe Chartrand has to come and heard someone said that when Evers was up here he said he would be here next year. I think he would be a nice smaller puck moving defenseman but he was hurt some this year. Considering his point totals that could have been one hell of a year for him though. Add Wolanin one of those two Wolanin/Shaw will play another year of juniors. Neither seem like a kid that's not a real risk of going somewhere else and Shaw might want to play for his dad for a full year too.

Schlossman said on the chat that he thought both Wolanin and Shaw were the locks on D to come in next year. 

Schlossman said on the chat that he thought both Wolanin and Shaw were the locks on D to come in next year. 

I think we can assume that Brock Boeser, Chris Wilkie, Shane Gersich, Rhett Gardner, Joel Janatuinen, Christian Wolanin, Hayden Shaw and Matej Tomek are all locks to come. They will likely bring in a couple more defensemen like Christian Evers, Danys Chartrand, Gabe Bast. We'll see.

Schlossman

Thats 8 guys,7 spots with no one leaving early, and I believe Chartrand is out of junior years forcing him to come in and someone here noted that Evers said, when they played here, that he was coming in too.  So at least one of the 4 isn't coming, unless we loose a lot of players we don't expect.  I personally think it would be a mistake to bring in Evers, I just think he needs one more year.  9 is a much more realistic number for next year as most think J. Schmaltz doesn't come back. All 10 maybe if there is an unexpected loss.  

For what it's worth I think Shaw has the chance to come in and contribute next year.  Shaw probably has some Stecher aspects to his game, Evers more of an Ausmus but I think it would be great for him to leave the USNTDP and hope for some kind of year like Gersich had post-USNTDP.  I don't expect Evers to put up huge offensive numbers.  I do think that Bast has a chance to the wild card for next year

For comparison sake Ausmus last year of juniors 

USNTDP Jrs. 26 GP 2G 4A 6P 20PIMS (USHL)

US National U18 team 66 GP 2G 12A 14P 54PIMS (all games)

Evers this year so far:

USNTDP Jrs. 14 GP 1G 4A 5P 10PIMS (USHL)

Us National U18 43 GP 2G 6A 8P 32PIMS (All games)

Bast, Shaw and Stecher:

Stecher last year of Juniors

Penticton 52 GP 8G 39A 47P 40PIMS   .904 points per game

Bast so far this year

Penticton 49 GP 9G 31A 40P 38PIMS   .816 points per game

Shaw so far this year

Waterloo 32 GP 2G 27A 29P 49PIMS   .906 points per game

I think we can assume that Brock Boeser, Chris Wilkie, Shane Gersich, Rhett Gardner, Joel Janatuinen, Christian Wolanin, Hayden Shaw and Matej Tomek are all locks to come. They will likely bring in a couple more defensemen like Christian Evers, Danys Chartrand, Gabe Bast. We'll see.

Schlossman

Thats 8 guys,7 spots with no one leaving early, and I believe Chartrand is out of junior years forcing him to come in and someone here noted that Evers said, when they played here, that he was coming in too.  So at least one of the 4 isn't coming, unless we loose a lot of players we don't expect.  I personally think it would be a mistake to bring in Evers, I just think he needs one more year.  9 is a much more realistic number for next year as most think J. Schmaltz doesn't come back. All 10 maybe if there is an unexpected loss.  

For what it's worth I think Shaw has the chance to come in and contribute next year.  Shaw probably has some Stecher aspects to his game, Evers more of an Ausmus but I think it would be great for him to leave the USNTDP and hope for some kind of year like Gersich had post-USNTDP.  I don't expect Evers to put up huge offensive numbers.  I do think that Bast has a chance to the wild card for next year

For comparison sake Ausmus last year of juniors 

USNTDP Jrs. 26 GP 2G 4A 6P 20PIMS (USHL)

US National U18 team 66 GP 2G 12A 14P 54PIMS (all games)

Evers this year so far:

USNTDP Jrs. 14 GP 1G 4A 5P 10PIMS (USHL)

Us National U18 43 GP 2G 6A 8P 32PIMS (All games)

Bast, Shaw and Stecher:

Stecher last year of Juniors

Penticton 52 GP 8G 39A 47P 40PIMS   .904 points per game

Bast so far this year

Penticton 49 GP 9G 31A 40P 38PIMS   .816 points per game

Shaw so far this year

Waterloo 32 GP 2G 27A 29P 49PIMS   .906 points per game

Bast is a 2016-17 recruit.

Alec Rauhauser who is still uncommitted is 3rd in scoring among defensemen in the USHL.

Danys Chartrand has to come in next year because he's 21.

Between Wolanin, Shaw, and Evers coming in next year will depend on if someone leaves early. One of those three is going to come in next season unless the coaches add a defensemen late in the year.

I wouldn't be surprised if Murphy and Sanderson are told there will be no room for them next year, with both Matthews and Tkachuk still uncommitted even with them both possibly headed to the WHL (Matthews) and OHL (Tkachuk).

I almost forgot if non of the goalies leave Tomek takes up a forward or Defensemens spot on the roster.

Just from reading the tea leaves, it seems almost certain that Zane and J. Schmaltz are moving on next year.  A high profile guy like Tomek is not coming in to sit on the bench.  Likewise, all those committed defensemen are committed because they will need numbers, with two seniors graduating, Schmaltz leaving, and LaDue (big risk) and Stecher (medium risk) maybe leaving.

Just from reading the tea leaves, it seems almost certain that Zane and J. Schmaltz are moving on next year.  A high profile guy like Tomek is not coming in to sit on the bench.  Likewise, all those committed defensemen are committed because they will need numbers, with two seniors graduating, Schmaltz leaving, and LaDue (big risk) and Stecher (medium risk) maybe leaving.

Perhaps.  I just don't see JS being ready to perform his defensive responsibilities at the next level.  I know they move up for development and more minutes, but he's often soft at this level.