SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

44 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

I'm still not sure if he makes it on UND campus. I could see him doing okay in the BCHL this year and committing to an inferior D1 team.

Agreed. He was definitely one who rushed it to the ushl.  Should have went to the NA or BC for his senior (and +1) year as opposed to the ushl.  

Final day of pool play, quarterfinals start tomorrow. Looks like all teams with UND recruits will be moving onto the knock out rounds.

Blake - 03 Blue Army - 1G 2A 3Pts (5GP)

'04

Singleton - 04 Western Canada Selects - 3G 5A 8Pts (5GP)

Ausmus - 04 Minnesota Blades - 2G 5A 7pts (5GP)

Spicer - 04 Minnesota Blades - 4A 4pt (4PG)

Notes:

• Maddox Fleming leading scorer during pool play (04 Minnesota Blades) - 4G 9A - 13 Pts
  • Howard Issac 11 Points (UMD Recruit)
  • Jimmy Clark 8 points (UND target)
  • Singleton lead his team in scoring

7 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

I'm still not sure if he makes it on UND campus. I could see him doing okay in the BCHL this year and committing to an inferior D1 team.

I’ll be shocked if he ever makes it to campus.

5 hours ago, AJS said:

Final day of pool play, quarterfinals start tomorrow. Looks like all teams with UND recruits will be moving onto the knock out rounds.

Blake - 03 Blue Army - 1G 2A 3Pts (5GP)

'04

Singleton - 04 Western Canada Selects - 3G 5A 8Pts (5GP)

Ausmus - 04 Minnesota Blades - 2G 5A 7pts (5GP)

Spicer - 04 Minnesota Blades - 4A 4pt (4PG)

Notes:

• Maddox Fleming leading scorer during pool play (04 Minnesota Blades) - 4G 9A - 13 Pts
  • Howard Issac 11 Points (UMD Recruit)
  • Jimmy Clark 8 points (UND target)
  • Singleton lead his team in scoring

Saw that Blake got drafted by I believe Chicago today in the Phase 1 USHL draft.

Blake - 03 Blue Army - 2G 2A 4Pts (6GP)

'04

Singleton - 04 Western Canada Selects - 5G 5A 10Pts (6GP)

Ausmus - 04 Minnesota Blades - 2G 5A 7pts (6GP)

Spicer - 04 Minnesota Blades - 4A 4pt (5PG)

• '03 Blue Army play in the Semi-Final tonight
  • '04 Western Canada Selects / '04 Minnesota Blades play in the Quarter-Finals starting this afternoon
  • Singleton increased his team lead with 2 Goals today, three players tied for 2nd on the team have 6 points

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:37 AM, The Sicatoka said:

I believe the NCAA rule should be simple: 

So what if you played MJ as long as you enroll at an NCAA school before your 19th birthday. 

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 11:39 AM, scpa0305 said:

Agreed, the $ they get is nothing 

Ok, this is anecdotal evidence and I am not even sure if it is true, but here goes.  I was in Michigan this year and spoke with a guy who's kid was drafted into the OHL.  We talk about the college hockey route and if he goes to the OHL that will shut that door.  He tells me his kid was offered $100,000 to sign with this team and if Major Junior doesn't get him to the pros then his college is already paid for, so it's worth giving up college eligibility.  I didn't really press it if the 6 figures he was being offered was the monetary equivalent of the Major Junior education package or if it was a $100k cash contract.  Either way, that's a lot of money and security to pass up for a teenager.

I think the system is just fine as is and any changes would only favor Major Junior and lead to the collapse in quality of the USHL and College Hockey.  I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes at some Major Junior programs but my guess is there is cash being exchanged beyond the compensation models we know of.  I think College Hockey would end up suffering as every player who has professional aspirations (and what player doesn't) would choose the Major Junior route first and College Hockey would end up being the choice for those who can't make Major Junior or those who wash out of Major Junior, either way the NCAA is getting leftovers.

55 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Ok, this is anecdotal evidence and I am not even sure if it is true, but here goes.  I was in Michigan this year and spoke with a guy who's kid was drafted into the OHL.  We talk about the college hockey route and if he goes to the OHL that will shut that door.  He tells me his kid was offered $100,000 to sign with this team and if Major Junior doesn't get him to the pros then his college is already paid for, so it's worth giving up college eligibility.  I didn't really press it if the 6 figures he was being offered was the monetary equivalent of the Major Junior education package or if it was a $100k cash contract.  Either way, that's a lot of money and security to pass up for a teenager.

I think the system is just fine as is and any changes would only favor Major Junior and lead to the collapse in quality of the USHL and College Hockey.  I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes at some Major Junior programs but my guess is there is cash being exchanged beyond the compensation models we know of.  I think College Hockey would end up suffering as every player who has professional aspirations (and what player doesn't) would choose the Major Junior route first and College Hockey would end up being the choice for those who can't make Major Junior or those who wash out of Major Junior, either way the NCAA is getting leftovers.

One thing on the education package if I recall correctly is that it is only for a Canadian university. I'm not sure on the difference in quality of education but I can't imagine any US kid wanting to attend college in Canada after his major junior/hockey career is over.

1 hour ago, Yote 53 said:

56 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

One thing on the education package if I recall correctly is that it is only for a Canadian university. I'm not sure on the difference in quality of education but I can't imagine any US kid wanting to attend college in Canada after his major junior/hockey career is over.

Aren't they also required to enroll within a year or so of finishing up their CHL career?  Basically anybody who goes on to AHL, ECHL, or Europe is SOL.

Rumors going around are that Jack Hughes wants to play one year of NCAA hockey prior to going pro, so the UND staff is making room by holding Caulfield back one season in the USHL.  Fargo, upon hearing that, took a late flyer on Judd knowing that he'd need a place to play for a season.

:D ;)

8 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

7 hours ago, I Ranger said:

Major Junior hockey is a big scam. They use young hockey players to make lots of money and then discard them when they have outlived their usefulness. And you have the incidences of MJ teams screwing these kids out of the college education money they were promised. There probably are a lot of under-the-table payments that we never hear about.

This is why College Hockey, Inc. was started, but they don't seem to do much beyond those commercials on NHL Network.

8 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

Agreed, but your kind of missing the point. First, $100k isn’t that long.  Second, the only way said player gets that education package is if he stops playing hockey immediately after the O. What if (at age 19-20) said player isn’t ready for the NHL (or even AHL for that matter)?  They then have to decide whether to continue their professional career (in the Coast potentially)...or take advantage of that education package.  The CHL is great league, but it has its flaws.  Some players haven’t even developed by 19-20. US college hockey lengthens the development cycle. That’s why more and more higher end players are choosing this route.  More flexibility.

4 hours ago, ChadR said:

Judd Caulfield selected by Fargo Force. 16th round. 

Thoughts?

A) They know something we don't know.

B) Hell, it's the 16th round, why not?

C) Jack Hughes is coming to GF!!!!

D) All of the above

Only forward without a point for the USA at the U-18.  Some good moments when he played physical and with an edge.  I'd say his skating is what has to improve the most, but can't blame him for looking a step behind amongst the likes of Hughes/Zegras/Turcotte.  I think a year in the USHL wouldn't be the worst thing for him. 

18 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

D) All of the above

Only forward without a point for the USA at the U-18.  Some good moments when he played physical and with an edge.  I'd say his skating is what has to improve the most, but can't blame him for looking a step behind amongst the likes of Hughes/Zegras/Turcotte.  I think a year in the USHL wouldn't be the worst thing for him. 

A team took a crack at Cole Caufield in the 20th round too, so you never know.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Wilbur said:

D) All of the above

It's also worth noting that the Force declined to make their last 3 picks of the draft.  I believe this is a "just in case" flyer since he had a rougher U-18 than expected.

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

They may as well have taken my 2 year old daughter. :lol:

Yeah, not sure what the thought process was there.  His brother is at Wisconsin, and even if he didn't like it there I would assume he could go to Major Junior as a stepping stone to the NHL.