SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

2 hours ago, Speez said:

Team ND Tier 1 got smoked at all levels in the National Tournament. You can't have a temporary team that only plays together for a couple of months compete against teams that play Tier 1 AAA all season long. Even the few MN teams that played Tier 1 didn't do well in the Nationals.  MN is too ingrained in their high school leagues and ND is following that system.

If you want to be the best, you have to play the best. Canada is darn close with their AAA teams. Team ND along with Team MN should be in a AAA league along with teams in Canada. Let the players that have the talent hone it playing better competition. You can't play a weaker high school schedule and then expect to compete at the Tier 1 level. That's the reason players are leaving to play with AAA teams.

If you want to be the best, you have to play the best.

ND should have created a full season Tier 1 team (or two) a long time ago. Keep the HS level, but at least allow for a team so kids don’t have to go to SD or Chicago. MN kids still have their HS league and will always have it…but more and more high enders will start playing Tier 1. At the youth levels in MN AAA summer hockey is almost turning into the “real season” until about pee wees. It’s getting really tough to play juniors early so tier 1 is the best option. If you are a skilled kid, you can play with other skilled kids and not have to worry about playing against much more mature kids who simply want to take your head off. I honestly feel like within the next decade tier 1 teams (full season) will be allowed in MN.

As you noted the one MN Hockey Tier 1 team that made it didn’t do overly well. For one the team was made up of one district…two they had 09s on the team playing against the best 08s in the country. In looking at that lineup I only see one solid 08 on that whole team and they didn’t even have top end 09s. They didn’t have a chance, although the scores were respectable.

The TeamND competitiveness vs full time Tier1 teams is always an interesting conundrum.

This year they beat the full time Power program for Nationals berths... 

Clearly, nobody expected that to happen. At the national level it's just a whole different monster playing uber high end teams that play disciplined team structure.

So question is IF the TeamND played a 60 game Tier1 schedule... how would they fair?

How would the roster look? Stronger? Would it be a better team?

Would the kids who leave have stayed?

Would the ones who played have committed and been able to stomach the schedule and expense?

It's a huge double edged sword. 

The reality is a ND based Tier1 team of only ND players in theory can and would compete with the top in the Nation

But that's a fantasy to assume the top 20 14 or 15 or 16 year old kids could or would commit to the time expense and life change of Tier1 hockey.

ND high school hockey would be changed for sure but I'm not in the camp that Tier1 would "kill" ND HS.

It may actually solve some of the inequality issues..

who knows.

Bottom line is... its great to see the success the TeamND kids did have this year and I know they did impress nationally

Parker Murray with back to back 4 goal games for Wenatchee and 10 so far in the playoffs.  I assume all 10 have come against gopher recruit Nathan Airey. Murray is a big boy at 6’5” 225 lbs.   Not necessarily great regular season numbers, so might be just a little streak, so who knows if his skating is up to college hockey standards, as it is tough to tell from short little clips.  Could use some size after Caulfield left.  Perhaps he is helped by having Ean Samoza a Western recruit feeding him. 
https://www.ncwlife.com/sports/murrays-4-goals-leads-wenatchee-over-cranbrook-in-ot/article_ae2150f4-d3b9-11ed-93ab-bf9e93347481.html

Of course Cade Littler has some decent size and has put up some good numbers and has a nice upside, but Mankato has been through a lot already.

16 hours ago, tnt said:

Parker Murray with back to back 4 goal games for Wenatchee and 10 so far in the playoffs.  I assume all 10 have come against gopher recruit Nathan Airey. Murray is a big boy at 6’5” 225 lbs.   Not necessarily great regular season numbers, so might be just a little streak, so who knows if his skating is up to college hockey standards, as it is tough to tell from short little clips.  Could use some size after Caulfield left.  Perhaps he is helped by having Ean Samoza a Western recruit feeding him. 
https://www.ncwlife.com/sports/murrays-4-goals-leads-wenatchee-over-cranbrook-in-ot/article_ae2150f4-d3b9-11ed-93ab-bf9e93347481.html

Of course Cade Littler has some decent size and has put up some good numbers and has a nice upside, but Mankato has been through a lot already.

Numbers are decent definitely.

16 hours ago, tnt said:

I would guess he may follow Hastings to Madison. Hastings and his father are pretty tight.

Eero Butella

Saw some of this kids play for Chicago Mission this year, think he's already committed to Northeastern but maybe a flip or a portal get later.

Don't know his situation but,

Great shot, compete level good poise on the ice... hes one to watch.

29 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Regarding Fleece, we aren't a destination for upper class kids, and those that committed either haven't made it to campus due to personal decisions (Rowe, Morrow) or were a bust (Moore).

What is an upper class kid?

24 minutes ago, burd said:

What is an upper class kid?

Someone from an upper class suburb. Rolling Hills is on the Palos Verdes peninsula in LA. Rowe was from one of the New Trier suburbs of Chicago and Moore/Morrow were from Gold Coast of CT.

It's one thing to be wealthy (which Sanderson and some others no doubt were, hockey isn’t cheap), but growing up in a very affluent community just breeds a kid differently. You're expected to go to the kind of school your parents would be proud to mention at the social club or black tie events.

Question for the prospect gurus: Given Jayden Jubenville’s age—turns 20 this summer and is older than several incoming freshmen d-men—is there any chance he comes in this coming fall? Especially if Strathmann waits a year? Or is he maybe a later bloomer who really needs another year of juniors? 

I’ll hang up and listen. 

20 hours ago, Kevin G said:

Question for the prospect gurus: Given Jayden Jubenville’s age—turns 20 this summer and is older than several incoming freshmen d-men—is there any chance he comes in this coming fall? Especially if Strathmann waits a year? Or is he maybe a later bloomer who really needs another year of juniors? 

I’ll hang up and listen. 

I would have Strathmann above jubenville.

on a separate note, I really hope we’re after will felicio…just broke the ushl record for pts by a 16 yo dman. Was on Boisvert’s MSC team. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/8/2023 at 9:55 AM, MGsioux said:

Brads kid ? Is his future bright ?? 

He’s really solid, big boy. Obviously has a very knowledgeable source to listen to. I’m guessing he’s taking the slow approach to development which is always the most successful. I would hope he commits to UND. You never know though, sometimes coaches want their kids to “find it” their way. We shall see.